DIY: H22A4 Valve Adjustment! by JLUDE - Page 8 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #176
jimmy__19
Lude Addict

jimmy__19 is on a distinguished road
yeah thats a good point, i know its within spec, i think im just going to adjust them a little tighter though, i have time tomorrow so shouldnt be a problem,
jimmy__19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #177
jon every

Will makeing adjustment like you did get rid of a lifter tick?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #178
RadMan049

RadMan049 is on a distinguished road
Valve adjustment

The valve adjustments are set cold, am I correct. I set my tension when the feeler gauge hardly has any resistance. Really hard to tell if there is any resistance. When the engine gets hot the metal expands and I haven't had any problems with noisy valve trains. Been doing my own engines for 40 years now. I am an old gear head from the muscle car era. Sold my Caddy bought a Prelude and ride a 100 cu.inch Harley.
RadMan049 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #179
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadMan049 View Post
The valve adjustments are set cold, am I correct. I set my tension when the feeler gauge hardly has any resistance. Really hard to tell if there is any resistance. When the engine gets hot the metal expands and I haven't had any problems with noisy valve trains. Been doing my own engines for 40 years now. I am an old gear head from the muscle car era. Sold my Caddy bought a Prelude and ride a 100 cu.inch Harley.
Yes, the spec is for room temp engine (60-90F). when you drag the feeler gauge through the gap you should feel resistance but it should not bind. I like to tighten until it binds and then back off the adjustment screw very slow while pulling on the feeler gauge and the moment the feeler gauge breaks free that's where I stop. Always tighten down the lock nuts and recheck the gap before moving onto the next valve!

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #180
Ruxus Cantu

Ruxus Cantu is on a distinguished road
An AUTOZONE defective torque wrench has caused me some headaches. Now I'm dealing with random misfires.

Took off can plate holder on the intake side only. Thought I was torquing it all down per Specs and found that my motor was running AWFUL. IT WAS SUPERB PRIOR.

SO I ONLY GUAGED OUT THE INTAKE SIDE. SINCE I NEVER TOUCHED THE EXHAUST SIDE. IT STILL RUNS just TERRIBLE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS BLINKING. HELP!!!!!
Ruxus Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #181
Sir S Spec
True Luder

Location: Usually stuck behind a Toyota sedan doing 20 under the speed limit.
Sir S Spec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruxus Cantu View Post
An AUTOZONE defective torque wrench has caused me some headaches. Now I'm dealing with random misfires.

Took off can plate holder on the intake side only. Thought I was torquing it all down per Specs and found that my motor was running AWFUL. IT WAS SUPERB PRIOR.

SO I ONLY GUAGED OUT THE INTAKE SIDE. SINCE I NEVER TOUCHED THE EXHAUST SIDE. IT STILL RUNS just TERRIBLE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS BLINKING. HELP!!!!!
1) Stop panicking, and stop shouting.

2) Why would you take the cam plate off? I don't recall having to do anything like that for a valve adjustment. Valve cover yes, but you can reach the cam and followers without removing the plate. That plate (when you have to remove it) has to be removed in a specified order as per the shop manual. It also has to be replaced and torqued in a specific order. Removing that plate allows the cam to shift around and loosen the caps. Each time it rotates against the valve springs it probably worked the caps loose, throwing the measurements off. Intake valves are probably barely opening.

3) Don't run the car with a flashing CEL.

4) Pull whatever codes the car is throwing. Use the paperclip method. Then figure out what the car is trying to tell you.

5) Re-trace your steps. Are the valves you adjusted within spec? Did you put the spark plug wires back on the right points on the dizzy? Find out what is RIGHT, and that will leave you with what is wrong.

1997 Prelude Base. (wrecked)
1999 Prelude Base (S-Spec conversion)
1996 Prelude SR(Si), daily driver --> H23A VTEC (+ 4ws?) (SOLD)
1990 Nissan 300ZX (fun in the sun)
1994 Subaru SVX LSi (daily)

Last edited by Sir S Spec; 03-01-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Sir S Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #182
Ruxus Cantu

Ruxus Cantu is on a distinguished road
Thank you for replying. Everything you said was true. The reason I took off the plate was because of a SERIOUS oil leak at the cam gear seal. Just the intake side can gear. In fact every oil seal on the vtech solenoid thing a ma jig next to the distributor was all leaking. Especially the cam gear seal. That's why I had to remove the plate.

The valve adjustments came because as you said the defective torque wrench caused the loosening of my measurements. I'm so upset with Autozone. I can't believe that they rented me a defective Torque Wrench TWICE. . . THE SAME HOUR. But all is well. I AM THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. YOU'LL BE HEARING FROM ME MORE. TRUST ME.
Ruxus Cantu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement