DIY: H22A4 Valve Adjustment! by JLUDE - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #26
Speedindemon@msn.com
Getting Comfortable

Speedindemon@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Awesome job helping us with this write up and all man.. Gives me sumthing to do when i get time off again .. bout how much time do you think it should take for first timer's... About how much time should we set aside for doing the entire procedure. Would 2 hour do..or would this be a afternoon job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #27
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Quote:
Originally Posted by quieTP_11 View Post
Are intake and exhaust done at the same time?

For example, start with cylinder 1 at TDC. Make adjustments for the intake and exhaust, then move to cylinder 3? Or do intake for 1-4 then exhaust 1-4?

I'm not sure if it matters, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Very helpful pics
Already been answered but yes, you adjust all 4 valves on each cylinder at the same time (TDC on the compression stroke).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_lude View Post
nice writeup jesse i was just looking at the pics and not reading heavily did you mention to unhook the battery somewhere? generally speaking when you want to play with the altenator cables you should unhook the battery. sory if i missed it. still a great how-to
Yes, forgot to put that in there. It's kind of a preliminary step to most maintenance jobs. ALWAYS unhook the negative battery cable before working under the hood on anything electrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedindemon@msn.com View Post
Awesome job helping us with this write up and all man.. Gives me sumthing to do when i get time off again .. bout how much time do you think it should take for first timer's... About how much time should we set aside for doing the entire procedure. Would 2 hour do..or would this be a afternoon job.
I did this in about 30 minutes myself but for the first timer 2 hours should allow plenty of time.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #28
obsoleteBB6
Elite Member

obsoleteBB6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to obsoleteBB6

you need to wash ur car, haha, good thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #29
geoffBB6
( )Up in da clouds( )

geoffBB6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to geoffBB6 Send a message via MSN to geoffBB6

nice walkthrough man, rep point for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Gen part for sale (10/13/0
:

geoffBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #30
Chukkie
Lude needs a Diet!

Chukkie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chukkie Send a message via MSN to Chukkie

Loved it! I'll be doing this soon

Everyone on this site should read this article, then think really hard.

Chukkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #31
Nailbunnyzq
Lude Dude

Nailbunnyzq is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nailbunnyzq
wow, this write up makes it looks SOOO easy, im MORE than sure i could handle this. and i dont know jack about shit. and forgive my absolute noobiness, but what exactly does tightening vs loosening do? this made me want to learn a whole HELL of alot more about everything i can, but i cant do something if i dont know my goal.

Quote:
im more of an ass man.....somewhat of an assologist if you will....
Nailbunnyzq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #32
philprelude
Lude Dude

philprelude is on a distinguished road
Great Write Up... I'm gonna adjust my valves this weekend!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #33
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbunnyzq View Post
wow, this write up makes it looks SOOO easy, im MORE than sure i could handle this. and i dont know jack about shit. and forgive my absolute noobiness, but what exactly does tightening vs loosening do? this made me want to learn a whole HELL of alot more about everything i can, but i cant do something if i dont know my goal.
When you tighten the adjusting screw (you turn it clockwise) righty-tighty and that will make the gap between the cam lobe and rocker arm (the gap where you stick the feel gauge) smaller.

if you turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise (left) then the gap gets larger. You want the gaps to be within the tolerances listed: 0.15-0.19mm intake and 0.17-0.21mm exhaust.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
Nailbunnyzq
Lude Dude

Nailbunnyzq is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nailbunnyzq
i see, so basically, your making sure they havent gone beyond those measures in either direction. MAN I FUCKING LOVE THIS SITE

Quote:
im more of an ass man.....somewhat of an assologist if you will....
Nailbunnyzq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #35
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

UPDATE: So after the valve adjustment my car is in perfect tune up. Even with the hard driving and hitting VTEC about 20 times this weekend my gas gauge is just under 1/2 tank and I've put 195 miles on the car! the only time I got near 200 miles on 1/2 tank was on a all highway road trip with no VTEC hitting! I may have gained 3mpg after this valve adjustment if this is accurate! this would put me up to 30mpg average!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #36
webglasses
True Luder

webglasses is on a distinguished road
Man that's is awesome. I wish my mpg is like that, I get like between 23-25 mpg. not great but ok. I need to tune up my car pretty good after finals and have good mileage like yours. Thanks for the tips.
webglasses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #37
intro1
Getting Comfortable

intro1 is on a distinguished road
generally speaking when your valves are making noise (like mine are) is it usually loose or tight? just wanting to know what to expect when i start this afternoon. Thanks alot for all the great information btw, greatly appreciated
intro1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #38
Daniel M
True Luder

Daniel M is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by intro1 View Post
generally speaking when your valves are making noise (like mine are) is it usually loose or tight? just wanting to know what to expect when i start this afternoon. Thanks alot for all the great information btw, greatly appreciated
My unscientific guess would be loose. I can't think of any reason that they would become tighter, for some reason my head does think getting looser would be a possibility.
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #39
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

I would think that loose is correct.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #40
99TypeSh
Elite Member

99TypeSh is on a distinguished road

Which section of the manual is this?

Edit: nvm i found it
99TypeSh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #41
noelloz
Getting Comfortable

noelloz is on a distinguished road
When do you know you need a Valve Adjustment?
noelloz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #42
daluder
Lude Boss

daluder is on a distinguished road
rep point for JLude! The only hard part seems to be removing all the crap to take off the VC. I done it once and my back was in pain.

holy sh*t..holy sh*t..

daluder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #43
thestapler
True Luder

thestapler is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a stupid question :0

My feeler gauges are measured a little weird and I don't know which one to use. I have one that is .11xmm-.15xmm, one that is .13xmm-.17xmm, .15xmm-.20xmm, and .17xmm-.22xmm. Which one should I use for the intake and exhaust?
thestapler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #44
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestapler View Post
Sorry to bump this thread, but I have a stupid question :0

My feeler gauges are measured a little weird and I don't know which one to use. I have one that is .11xmm-.15xmm, one that is .13xmm-.17xmm, .15xmm-.20xmm, and .17xmm-.22xmm. Which one should I use for the intake and exhaust?
0.15-0.19mm intake and 0.17-0.21mm exhaust is the range you are looking for.

So use the 0.15 - 0.20 for intake (the first number is the tip of the feeler guage, the second number is the middle of the feeler gauge, you should see a little step were it gets thicker on the gauge.

Use the 0.17 - 0.22mm for the exhaust. since you want about 0.19 on the exhaust to be in the center of the range I would tighten just intil you can't get the 0.22mm in at all. At that point the 0.17mm tip should slip in easily. Make sense? You're basically interpolating the gap between a high and low feeler thickness to try to get something in the middle.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #45
tacticalcustoms
Lude Cray

tacticalcustoms is on a distinguished road
gotta love this tool

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

tacticalcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #46
FyVe
Lude Boss

FyVe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FyVe
this valve adjustment is INCORRECT!! I don't suggest you guys do your adjustments according to the clearances he listed...
i don't know how the hell his came out right.. but i believe the correct clearances as it says in the helms manual is .005 -.006 intake and .007-.008 exhaust. if you look in the helms manual it states it just like this:

.005-.006 (0.15-0.19)*3 on the intake side
&
.006-.007 (0.17-.21)*3 on the exhaust side.
if you follow the *'s to the bottom it says
*3- Distance between camshaft and rocker arm

i believe the correct distance is the first one not the one JLude put in the writeup because:
i did a valve adjustment with the first settings and it sounded great
i JUST re-did an adjustment with the settings on THIS write-up and my valves are ticking SUPER f*cking loud...

not to take anything from JLude its an awesome write-up but... how the hell did u get 3mpg with a looser setting? who knows... maybe the valves ARE better but still not to specs??? my cars are loud as shiiit!!

SOLD!!

FyVe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #47
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
the factory service manual states:

.006-.007 intake
.007-.008 exhaust

98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #48
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post

7. Intake valve clearance (0.15 - 0.19mm)

8. Exhaust valve clearance (0.17 - 0.21mm)

- JLUDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazillianpimpx View Post
this valve adjustment is INCORRECT!! I don't suggest you guys do your adjustments according to the clearances he listed...
i don't know how the hell his came out right.. but i believe the correct clearances as it says in the helms manual is .005 -.006 intake and .007-.008 exhaust. if you look in the helms manual it states it just like this:

.005-.006 (0.15-0.19)*3 on the intake side
&
.006-.007 (0.17-.21)*3 on the exhaust side.
if you follow the *'s to the bottom it says
*3- Distance between camshaft and rocker arm

i believe the correct distance is the first one not the one JLude put in the writeup because:
i did a valve adjustment with the first settings and it sounded great
i JUST re-did an adjustment with the settings on THIS write-up and my valves are ticking SUPER f*cking loud...

not to take anything from JLude its an awesome write-up but... how the hell did u get 3mpg with a looser setting? who knows... maybe the valves ARE better but still not to specs??? my cars are loud as shiiit!!
Dude. You are using thousandths of an inch. The .006 clearance number is 6 thousands of an INCH (6/1000). My numbers were in metric millimeters! 0.15-0.19mm! If you used 0.15 inch then you are WAY WAY WAY too loose! don't drive the car again like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
the factory service manual states:

.006-.007 intake
.007-.008 exhaust
^ correct and that is in INCH units! A number is completely worthless without knowing what unit it's in!

"Yea it's about 15 to your house from mine?"

"15 what? Minutes? Seconds? Miles? Kilometers? Hours? "

Last edited by JLude; 06-20-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #49
FyVe
Lude Boss

FyVe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to FyVe
ughhh my feeler gauges were in millimeters...i did the clearances you said!!! i'm so lost... i'm about to call it quits and take the shit to honda... impossible!!! it sounds like my engine swallowed a f*cking turtle

SOLD!!

FyVe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #50
tacticalcustoms
Lude Cray

tacticalcustoms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazillianpimpx View Post
ughhh my feeler gauges were in millimeters...i did the clearances you said!!! i'm so lost... i'm about to call it quits and take the shit to honda... impossible!!! it sounds like my engine swallowed a f*cking turtle

I managed to adj. my valves with there help and I did it just fine.. I would check intake with .006-.007 and if .008 wouldn't go in then I was fine. I check exhaust with .007-.008 and if .009 wouldn't go in then I was fine.. how hard is that. and majority of my valves didn't need to be adjusted.. ya..

tacticalcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement