..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE) - Page 191 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #4751
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlude23 View Post
I heard it mentioned in post 15 of this thread:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...292&highlight=

Since there was never a picture posted, I'm just curious because I've never heard of it before. Does anyone have a picture or know where I would ever find this? I've searched and searched.

My SH wheels have the semi-rare(I'm guessing) woodgrain Honda centercaps and this shift knob could potentially be a nice matching addition to the car.
I've never seen/heard of "JDM" woodgrain anyting, to be honest. Especially not the center caps for the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing8806 View Post
Modified collector mod won't do you much with a stock catalytic converter restricting you. Just install it as is.

a modified collector would require a shop modifying the existing on the header, not exactly a shelf bought item
Exactly this.

Keep your factory header in place, the cheap junk Weapon R installation only leaves room for leaky flanges and poor fitment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #4752
jvlude23
Lude Dude

jvlude23 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jvlude23
[QUOTE=MommysLittleMonster;3818905]I've never seen/heard of "JDM" woodgrain anyting, to be honest. Especially not the center caps for the wheels.

The center caps are the real deal, I think honestly might have come standard on Sh wheels (I googled SH wheels and they all have them)

But I've been looking for a new shift knob because mine is worn and want something different. That member mentioned a jdm woodgrain shift knob and just got me curious.

EDIT: found it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Shift-...f170fd&vxp=mtr

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle...08U92-S30-100G

Not as cool as I was hoping, looks like it only came on automatic ludes..

Last edited by jvlude23; 11-12-2014 at 06:51 PM.
jvlude23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #4753
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
[quote=jvlude23;3819281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
I've never seen/heard of "JDM" woodgrain anyting, to be honest. Especially not the center caps for the wheels.

The center caps are the real deal, I think honestly might have come standard on Sh wheels (I googled SH wheels and they all have them)

But I've been looking for a new shift knob because mine is worn and want something different. That member mentioned a jdm woodgrain shift knob and just got me curious.

There are photos of the shift knobs all over, there were a few options available.

As for the center caps - SH wheels came standard with an imprinted "H" in the center of a paint matched cap. Most with a black decal - i've seen people change the color up. The decal is a thick almost cut aluminum piece. Base wheels came with a recessed cap with a full aluminum decal with a polished background and black "H" in the center.

If you have a brown looking "H" in the sh center cap - it's simply a faded emblem. Happens when certain cleaning agents are applied ontop of years of sitting exposed to the sun. If this is not the case, please provide photos and we can help determine if you have hydro dipped caps or some other random aftermarket modification.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #4754
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

Quote:

Sorry, I should have clarified- I'd never heard of a 5-speed shift knob being woodgrain. I have seen a few automatic Preludes that came with the "wood" trim had the matching shifter, however. From what I can remember, the thread sizing is different.
Quote:
If you have a brown looking "H" in the sh center cap - it's simply a faded emblem. Happens when certain cleaning agents are applied ontop of years of sitting exposed to the sun. If this is not the case, please provide photos and we can help determine if you have hydro dipped caps or some other random aftermarket modification.
Yup, exactly this. I have a handful of old "H" centercaps at home that are faded to an oak-like color brown.

If they are in fact woodgrain, they aren't a factory item finish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #4755
jvlude23
Lude Dude

jvlude23 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jvlude23
Wow I always thought they were woodgrain. Thanks for the correct explanation. This is why I like this thread.

They look just like this.

http://s753.photobucket.com/user/Jco...lude4.jpg.html
jvlude23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #4756
98SHyang
Lude Dude

98SHyang is on a distinguished road
So whenever I drive the lude on the highway going 65 mph I feel as if its bogging a little. If I drive it for longer than 20 min on the highway my check engine light will come on as the codes are misfire. I replaced wires, spark plugs, and the rotor cap. I also ran a bottle of techron to kinda clean the fuel injectors. this only happen when Iim driving on the highway, if im driving around town its fine. I think its heat soak, but my engine temps are good so any clue?
98SHyang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #4757
Wing8806
Faptastic

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Quote:
Wow I always thought they were woodgrain. Thanks for the correct explanation. This is why I like this thread.

They look just like this.

http://s753.photobucket.com/user/Jco...lude4.jpg.html
Yeah, that's unfortunately faded centers. Happens to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SHyang View Post
So whenever I drive the lude on the highway going 65 mph I feel as if its bogging a little. If I drive it for longer than 20 min on the highway my check engine light will come on as the codes are misfire. I replaced wires, spark plugs, and the rotor cap. I also ran a bottle of techron to kinda clean the fuel injectors. this only happen when Iim driving on the highway, if im driving around town its fine. I think its heat soak, but my engine temps are good so any clue?

How many miles on the engine?

A failing distributor can cause a misfire, as well as clogged egr ports or a dirty map sensor.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #4758
98SHyang
Lude Dude

How many miles on the engine?

A failing distributor can cause a misfire, as well as clogged egr ports or a dirty map sensor.[/QUOTE]

My lude has 148,XXX miles, the top of the egr ports does it dirty. I will replace the distributor, clean the map sensor or replace and when have time look into having the egr ports clean. If my egr ports are clogged would my CEL light go off and will it cause a slight bog?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #4759
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:

My lude has 148,XXX miles, the top of the egr ports does it dirty. I will replace the distributor, clean the map sensor or replace and when have time look into having the egr ports clean. If my egr ports are clogged would my CEL light go off and will it cause a slight bog?

Only use a Honda distributor and save replacing that for last - it's much more expensive than having the egr ports cleaned or other troubleshooting.

The egr ports can cause a misfire and also egr codes. Your issue is indeed odd since it goes away, but startwith the cheaper of options to troubleshoot vs diving into the more expensive ones.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #4760
cityjack
True Luder

cityjack is on a distinguished road
evening all,

Just brought my first 5th gen type SH home last night. I've been a long time 3rd gen owner. the first thing I did with the third gen was to download or buy a CD off ebay for the complete service manual.
I want to do the same for this car. I see the downloadable from HondaHookup. I'd rather purchase a CD or a Helms. Not sure of the difference. I see electrical troubleshooting manuals, body manuals, engine manuals, supplements,......... What is the best complete most comprehensive set to get and where do I get it?

Thanks guys.

Sid
cityjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #4761
IndoorLiving
Getting Comfortable

IndoorLiving is on a distinguished road
Is a full coolant flush necessary?

My new-ish to me BB6 is quite low on coolant so I bought some and looked up the process. It seems that it is quite difficult to drain the coolant from the block on a Type SH. Is it really necessary to do that or would be be fine to just drain the radiator and fill the tank and radiator back up with fresh stuff?
IndoorLiving is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #4762
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoorLiving View Post
My new-ish to me BB6 is quite low on coolant so I bought some and looked up the process. It seems that it is quite difficult to drain the coolant from the block on a Type SH. Is it really necessary to do that or would be be fine to just drain the radiator and fill the tank and radiator back up with fresh stuff?
I've just drained from the radiator and refilled. It all works through the system at some point anyway - but i'm sure there's an easy way to do a full flush if you really felt it was needed.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #4763
IndoorLiving
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
I've just drained from the radiator and refilled. It all works through the system at some point anyway - but i'm sure there's an easy way to do a full flush if you really felt it was needed.
I wanted to do a full flush since I bought it at 169k miles and have little knowledge of it's service history after 130k but seeing it's getting quite cold out here I guess I'll just drain the radiator and refill.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 AM   #4764
98SHyang
Lude Dude

So I just bought a et of ap1 rims can I put them on with no spacers. I was going to run the front with 205/50/16R for the back I have read 215 or 225? I have done some research but am getiing mixed reveiw of it does fit and wont fit
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #4765
dudeitsahonda
I am Prelude

dudeitsahonda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So I just bought a et of ap1 rims can I put them on with no spacers. I was going to run the front with 205/50/16R for the back I have read 215 or 225? I have done some research but am getiing mixed reveiw of it does fit and wont fit
I have ap1 with their factory tire size (rear 225 i believe) reverse staggered on my prelude. Big in the front gives you a credit card of space between tire and arm. I can't say how or if the high offset of the s2k rear will fit in the prelude rear as i have never tried.
97 lude-sold
01 lude-totalled
--kevin P. _______________atxPrelude______CT Preludes

dudeitsahonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #4766
98SHyang
Lude Dude

So ir will fit with no problems? Are you using spacers
Old 11-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #4767
98SHyang
Lude Dude

Ap1 rims

205/55ZR16 Front

205/50ZR16 Rears

Will those tire with ap1 rims fit on a prelude bb6? will i need spacers?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #4768
bykfixer
Getting Comfortable

bykfixer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjack View Post
evening all,

Just brought my first 5th gen type SH home last night. I've been a long time 3rd gen owner. the first thing I did with the third gen was to download or buy a CD off ebay for the complete service manual.
I want to do the same for this car. I see the downloadable from HondaHookup. I'd rather purchase a CD or a Helms. Not sure of the difference. I see electrical troubleshooting manuals, body manuals, engine manuals, supplements,......... What is the best complete most comprehensive set to get and where do I get it?

Thanks guys.

Sid
Helms.com has the full gamut of manuals in either cd or paper. A shop, a service, a body and an electrical troubleshoot. $50ea
I found used service and electrical (paper) for $50 for both shipped. So try ebay or local car clubs for used ones.

http://www.preludezone.com/diy-do-yo...e-manuals.html
^^ a working link to download a service manual over at pz.
bykfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #4769
Cozzysmad

Cozzysmad is on a distinguished road
Cool E brake

I know this is silly lads, but where do you adjust your e brake cable?? On a 98 Is it at the rear wheels or is there a tightening bolt hidden underneath the hand break plastic or? only had the car couple of weeks..
Cozzysmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #4770
bouckarooo
I am Prelude

bouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of light
Under neath the console you can adjust to accomodate light cable strech over time. However, befroe you adjust, make sure your pads are in decent shape as when there is no pad then it wont matter how you adjust the cable.

Quote:
ban me biotches sissy lude dan hahah
kronicsmoker sh hahaha
suck it biotch
Quote:
If I had to guess, it's because the car is a thrown-together piece of shit.
bouckarooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #4771
IndoorLiving
Getting Comfortable

So I was looking at my engine bay...

I have a 1998 BB6 Type SH so when I looked at the ID for my transmisson I was expecting to see M2U4 but instead I saw P2A5. Shouldn't there be an M2U4 in there or am I mistaken? Please excuse the terrible picture quality.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #4772
tactical.banana

tactical.banana is on a distinguished road
Noob Question... Need help to replace alternator belt and power steering belt properly. Looking for pics or diagrams for the proper bolts to loosen. 5th Gen Prelude. Thanks.
tactical.banana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #4773
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical.banana View Post
Noob Question... Need help to replace alternator belt and power steering belt properly. Looking for pics or diagrams for the proper bolts to loosen. 5th Gen Prelude. Thanks.
Alternator:

Loosen the top alternator bolt *on the bracket* a full turn or so (14mm)

Loosen the bottom bolt *on bracket, DIRECTLY beneath alternator* full turn or so (12mm)

Loosen the adjusting bolt *front of alternator* - there are two here next to each other, you want to loosen the longer of the two, loosen it a bit and push the alternator down after a few turns to remove tension. You'll end up loosening about an inch of thread total (10mm) (don't remove any bolts completely!!!!)

To re-install, tighten the 10mm, keeping a feel for the amount of tension on the belt the entire time - once you can turn the longest portion of the belt 90* without fighting the belt too much and don't feel too much play pressing down - tighten the 12mm and then the 14mm.

Power steering:

It's been awhile since i've had to deal with one of those lol - If i'm not mistaken there are two bolts - one beneath the ps pump that you slightly loosen and the adjusting bolt is the longer 10mm on the top

reverse to tighten

There are youtube videos on how to check tension using the turning 90* method - just take your time.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #4774
Jerry4352

Jerry4352 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys I have a 5th gen and well I broke my last black key and I got a clone from the broken piece and it was working for a good while but suddenly stopped working I get the immobolizer light so I went to clone another and 98% of the time I'll get the immobolizer light flash Itll turn on after like 10mins of trying . I saw on ebay that there's a guy that does reflashes for the immobolizer I kinda want to do that cuase the dealer wants me to take it in ( tow$$) Diagnose (90) and it may want to replace the immobolizer unit (600$) kinda expensive so yea if anybody can help with this .. Sometimes my key starts it but most of the time it doesn't , what can I check . Immobolizer reciever ( antenna ring) ?
Jerry4352 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #4775
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry4352 View Post
Hi guys I have a 5th gen and well I broke my last black key and I got a clone from the broken piece and it was working for a good while but suddenly stopped working I get the immobolizer light so I went to clone another and 98% of the time I'll get the immobolizer light flash Itll turn on after like 10mins of trying . I saw on ebay that there's a guy that does reflashes for the immobolizer I kinda want to do that cuase the dealer wants me to take it in ( tow$$) Diagnose (90) and it may want to replace the immobolizer unit (600$) kinda expensive so yea if anybody can help with this .. Sometimes my key starts it but most of the time it doesn't , what can I check . Immobolizer reciever ( antenna ring) ?
I assume you don't have the red key?

There was a tsb on the ignition switch within the steering consul that usually gets replaced for free from Honda.

Some dealerships can copy your key without the red key, allowing it to work with normally. But i'm betting its the faulty switch.

Check the TSB list here in the 5th gen section and read up on the ignition switch recall to see if those are your exact symptoms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement