..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE) - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE)

are you a newbie?
Too lazy to search?
Do you have a question?
Has it likely been asked before?

well you are in luck. This thread is just for YOU. Here you can post your basic questions that have been asked and answered more times than i can count and not get flamed !!!!!

Please DO NOT carry on conversation in this thread and either ANSWER A QUESTION OR DO NOT POST.

I'm hoping this thread will stop some of the useless threads and unneeded flaming.

When we get a question that gets posted alot, I will update this first post with common questions and answers to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
99prelude2akill

99prelude2akill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 99prelude2akill
i am a newby with a 99 prelude i bought off a guy....the car was said to be in good condition and so i bought it.....well as soon as i bought it the radiator busted and the v-tech was destroyed so now i am in a mechanics class and i am the one that is stuck doing the dirty work on this car....after a few months went by i saw the guy who sold it to me and i looked at him in his face and lafed...when i told him how good the car was now that i got it
99prelude2akill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cruiserdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99prelude2akill View Post
i am a newby with a 99 prelude i bought off a guy....the car was said to be in good condition and so i bought it.....well as soon as i bought it the radiator busted and the v-tech was destroyed so now i am in a mechanics class and i am the one that is stuck doing the dirty work on this car....after a few months went by i saw the guy who sold it to me and i looked at him in his face and lafed...when i told him how good the car was now that i got it
So what's your question? I would have tried to make him take the car back, or at least pay you for all the maintenance, since he told you the car was in good shape w/ no major problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Andrew-

'01 Premium White Pearl Type SH-ATTS Baby!!!

Click
to join the official Prelude Power Facebook group, we don't bite!
Cruiserdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
itsdchlorine
Lude Addict

itsdchlorine is on a distinguished road
i have a noob question....

Bout how many miles does it usually take for ludes to burn 1qt of oil?

(in general or on average, cuz i know it all depends on how you drive)
itsdchlorine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
hot_97_lude
Lude Addict

hot_97_lude will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdchlorine View Post

My lude burns 1qt of conventional oil in about 3000 miles. I'd say that is about average for a prelude with 125k. I wouldn't worry unless it burns 1 quart every 500 miles or something. BTW, I drive like a normal luder, aka some vtec.

97 Prelude -- RIP 12/17/09
G35 Coupe -- Current

hot_97_lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, it all depends on the car. Some people hardly burn any, others burn a qt. about every 1000 miles or so. Just make sure you keep checking it and topping it off, and DON'T think you can wait longer to change it just b/c you top it off w/ fresh oil. If you're worried b/c you think you're burning too much, you can always do a compression and leakdown test for piece of mind.

-Andrew-

Click
Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
2qu1k4u
Prelude Aficionado

2qu1k4u will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 2qu1k4u
Quote:

my car burns less than a quart after 3500 miles. that's pretty average.

2qu1k4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
itsdchlorine
Lude Addict

swt.. thanks for the replies... ^^
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
Chief_Rocka
I am Prelude

Chief_Rocka will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Chief_Rocka Send a message via MSN to Chief_Rocka
Yeah my car barely burns oil and I run my car hard pretty much every weekend.

- Jabari -

Chief_Rocka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Hobodo5
Getting Comfortable

Hobodo5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Hobodo5
how many quarts to fill a 5th gen?
Hobodo5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobodo5 View Post
how many quarts to fill a 5th gen?
buy 6 quarts. you'll fill it up with 5 + a little of the 6th one. use the rest to keep it full

Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
routine9t

routine9t is on a distinguished road
2.2L.., need help to know more abt modding engine for more whp like 300-400whp??? possible???.... some mustang really pissed me off last night... aarrargghhh...
routine9t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by routine9t View Post
2.2L.., need help to know more abt modding engine for more whp like 300-400whp??? possible???.... some mustang really pissed me off last night... aarrargghhh...
honestly, if thats the only reason you want more power then i would just sell your car and buy one that is faster from the get go. doing 300-400whp the right way will cost a good bit of money and spending that money because you got beat by a mustang is a little rediculous but i understand your concerns

You would definitely have to boost the motor. If you didnt plan on running more than 400whp, i would go the cheaper way to use forged pistons in your block and run iron pressed-in liners. Much cheaper than heavy duty iron ductile sleeves.

building a motor for a purpose is one thing, but building the motor because you lost a meaningless street race can put you in a big money pit if you dont know what your doing.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
streetdemon06
SH luder 06

streetdemon06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to streetdemon06 Send a message via Yahoo to streetdemon06

do we have an iron block?

Everything comes with a price even if you dont deserve to pay....HOWEVER you cant just give up cause things arnt going you're way.

streetdemon06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdemon06 View Post
do we have an iron block?
aluminum block with FRM (fiber reinforced metal) cylinder walls - forged pistons cannot be used unless it has a special coating on the piston skirts
ie: Mahle and JUN have H22 FRM design forged pistons

all H series blocks have FRM cylinder walls. Including the F20c and nsx motor.

f22 and f23 blocks are aluminum with iron sleeves which are able to accept a forged piston without modification to the block or pistons.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
power prelude
Getting Comfortable

power prelude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2L View Post
buy 6 quarts. you'll fill it up with 5 + a little of the 6th one. use the rest to keep it full
isn't it 5 quarts and the 5th one to fill up the .2 liters???
cuz wouldn't 5 quarts be 2.5???
power prelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2007, 12:01 AM   #17
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Quote:
Originally Posted by power prelude View Post
Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying?

But if I were a n00b, I'd definitely listen to Blake.

-Andrew-

Click
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #18
mywhiteprelude
Getting Comfortable

mywhiteprelude is on a distinguished road
alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.
mywhiteprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 02:29 AM   #19
itsdchlorine
Lude Addict

o... i just heard that our engines needed exactly 5 qts... and the 6th is just to top off the engine from burning off oil...

Last edited by itsdchlorine; 01-22-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 AM   #20
qualude2250
Lude Cray

qualude2250 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to qualude2250
Quote:
Originally Posted by power prelude View Post
If you asking what I think your asking, NO. A 5th gen holds 5.1 quarts of oil.
2.2L is the displacement. Is that what you meant?

qualude2250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #21
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhiteprelude View Post
alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.
It won't hurt anything to do that, it'll just lug the engine. It's no better to accelerate slowly from low-rpm's really, but its just a bad idea in either case. It hurts your gas mileage and creates extra oil sludge. You're not gonna blow up your engine or anything if you do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's not the proper way to drive a stick. When you know revs are going to drop, or you want more acceleration, you need to downshift a gear or two.

-Andrew-

Click
Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #22
RedLude98
Elite Member

RedLude98 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RedLude98

I'm a noob to computer stuff and don't really know where else to post this question.

Why won't my computer play certain video's, it just comes up with a Q with a question mark in it and does'nt do anything. Like Google video for instance, it won't play anything off google just show's a blue letter Q with a question mark on it.

RedLude98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #23
itsdchlorine
Lude Addict

ummm... for that im thinking you may need to update ur codec package... so u can play new formats... this is the site i use... http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm it may help... i dotn know... thats what i got from your question...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #24
itsdchlorine
Lude Addict

i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is....
2. a down pipe...
3. an axle back...

thanks for the help...
Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is....
2. a down pipe...
3. an axle back...

thanks for the help...
1) a straight pipe that replaces the catalytic converter
2) the exhaust pipe that comes off the hotside of a turbo
3) the rear portion of an exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement