Koyo radiator & slimline fans install/review - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 PM
True Luder
reptar_head is on a distinguished road
Koyo radiator & slimline fans install/review

So the radiator in the prelude (my girlfriend, sexy94vtec's car) had a crack in it. And of course, instead of putting a stock radiator back in, we went ahead and got a koyo aluminum radiator. So we put it in, and the mounts for the stock radiator fans suck. It's impossible to get the bottom bolts in. You can see in the pictures that the mounting points stick out and practically touch the crossmember. Also, the passenger's side fan blades were hitting the bottom motor mount. So we crammed them in there and didn't bolt them in. Luckily it's cold enough up here that the fans only kicked on once and made a pretty bad noise as it hit motor mount. We ordered some flex-a-lite slimline fans, model #220, and they're a nice fit. Also ordered the Samco hose kit to finish out the package. We wired the fans right to the stock connectors, and used the through the radiator mounts. It's still a little tight right next to the A/C lines, but it's way better than the stock fans were. So we filled it all up with new blue Honda coolant, and hooked up the flush machine. After the machine is hooked up, you have to let it warm up all the way until the thermostat opens. So wanted to wait until the fans kicked on, to make sure they worked of course. It took 45 minutes of idling before they came on! And when they did come on, they were only on for around 5 to 10 seconds, and then shut off. So the car definitely runs cooler! Another added bonus is that they both come on when the A/C is on high, so I'm sure they A/C will run a bit cooler. They are a bit louder than the stock fans, but you can't hear the difference when you're in the car. So, in closing, the Koyo radiator sucks on the mounting points of the fans, but kicks ass on cooling your car. And the Flex-A-Lite fans are awesome and pull a ton of air. They rarely kick on, and when they do, it's for a very short period of time. I also think it cleans up the engine bay a bit. The Samco hoses look nice, that's about all they do heh.

Koyo Radiator: $330 shipped from ebay
Koyo Rad Cap: Appx $20 (from some random website)
Fans: $210+ ship from Summit racing
Hoses: $115+ ship from ebay
Coolant: Free! (reptar_head works at a dealership. But would have been $40)

First pic- Koyo radiator and stock fans. Note how passenger's side fan sits above mounting holes in radiator.

Second pic- Close up of fan not sitting correctly

Third pic- Driver's side fan pressed against A/C hose

Fourth pic-You can now see how the bottom fan mounting points butt right up against the cross member.

Fifth pic- Kinda of blurry, but a close up of how the drain valve and mounting points are too close to the cross member to ever get the fan in there, let a lone a bolt.

Sixth pic-I have no idea what I'm doing. Lol, j/k, You can see the slimline fans just sitting there. They are pretty much the perfect width and height.

Seventh pic- Here's the finished product. We didn't put the top radiator brackets on because we still need to polish up the radiator. Also, it looks like it sits crooked (driver's side further back than passenger's) because the coolant reservoir holds that passenger side closer. When you put the upper brackets on though, it straightens it all out and looks good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Elite Member

sexy94vtec has disabled reputation
Hey people, read this shit! Trust me, if you're getting a koyo radiator, you'll wish you did! Hey mods, can you put this in the 4th gen write up sticky?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Preludepower Member

soulja620 is on a distinguished road
nice write up bro,
Sweet radiator too!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 PM

1stlude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy94vtec View Post
Hey people, read this shit! Trust me, if you're getting a koyo radiator, you'll wish you did! Hey mods, can you put this in the 4th gen write up sticky?
Will do, 10-4, aye aye captin'!

Let me ask, how much did it set you back total? Could you maybe break it down for us? (The cost.)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stlude View Post
Will do, 10-4, aye aye captin'!

Let me ask, how much did it set you back total? Could you maybe break it down for us? (The cost.)
lol...good boy!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 PM

1stlude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy94vtec View Post
lol...good boy!

really, $115 for the hoses? I would have never guessed.

(Hope you guys don't mind, I edited Reptar's orig post and added the price info.)
Old 11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

naw, s'all good! Ya, the hoses were a bit steep, but I like them
Old 03-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

Elusionz91 is on a distinguished road
I will be doin' this in my lude, now that I have a leaky rad.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Preludepower Member

SlickLuDer is on a distinguished road
nice take some pics of front
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Lude Boss

themiz92lude will become famous soon enoughthemiz92lude will become famous soon enough
hey what fans did you order(sizes and or part number) thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh Gee

Silvia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiz92lude View Post
hey what fans did you order(sizes and or part number) thanks

+1 and a link..

cause i need those for my koy rad too..
Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
almost there.............

_interLude_ is on a distinguished road
waitin on slim fan info............need one for my godspeed rad.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Lude Boss

themiz92lude will become famous soon enoughthemiz92lude will become famous soon enough
if you read (i didnt a first) the o/p the part number is in there lol. I guess I should read it all next time lol
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Preludepower Member

4thGenPrelude is on a distinguished road
Yea Interlude how is that godspeed radiator? I have a crack in mine and im looking for a cheap aluminum replacement that FITS. I hope to use my stock fans...

Reptar- did you by any chance order the thicker radiator? I believe I remember seeing 2 different thicknesses on ebay... That could possibly have been the problem...?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Preludepower Member

hondamanmark has disabled reputation
I put a koyo in my lude and my stock fans bolted RIGHT up with no problems what so ever......you musta got the wrong radiator
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

harmonichonda01 will become famous soon enough
excellent, thanks for step by step pix
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
almost there.............

_interLude_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenPrelude View Post
Yea Interlude how is that godspeed radiator? I have a crack in mine and im looking for a cheap aluminum replacement that FITS. I hope to use my stock fans...

Reptar- did you by any chance order the thicker radiator? I believe I remember seeing 2 different thicknesses on ebay... That could possibly have been the problem...?
- ide love to tell you, but i havnt got the radiator yet. the first one i got, wasnt for my gen prelude. it was for a 5th gen, but even then, she fit really snug. minus the lower mounting brackets.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Ludacious

SNOBORDBOY is just really niceSNOBORDBOY is just really niceSNOBORDBOY is just really niceSNOBORDBOY is just really niceSNOBORDBOY is just really nice
There are also differences in the 4th gen ludes radiators and fans, between the f22, H23, and H22, so I can see it being easy to get a goof in ordering and have it all line up weird. The same issue can come into play with the accord models, we had an issue with my buddies F22 accord, so threw my old h23 rad on, and the fans didnt fit right so we had to put the h23 fans on as well. Luckly I had swapped all my cooling stuff for aluminum civic rad and del sol fan, so I had it all laying around.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:55 AM

streethazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamanmark View Post
I put a koyo in my lude and my stock fans bolted RIGHT up with no problems what so ever......you musta got the wrong radiator

^^^ maybe you dont have the full race version

he is completely dead on with all of the issues in installing a "real" KOYO radiator if you do this you NEED to have slim fans because the KOYO is about 3X the width of your stock radiator, its so fuggin big you need to get (atleast) 2 big @ss bottles of coolant just to fill it up 2/3! and I still had to top the rest off it off with water

its width is why you need the slim fans....visually look straight down at the top of your factory sized radiator, now imagine it 3X that size and you will see all this issues.

good write-up
Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I am Prelude

xkjnboix will become famous soon enough
the si and vtec radiators are different dimensions than the f22 ones. u obviously ordered the f22 one because the h22 koyo rads are modded for the lower xmember. i know the OP was in 2006 but for future cases
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Lude Dude

Rasmusm is on a distinguished road
Sorry for brining this up again, but how did you mount the fan to the koyo rad?
Any suggestions?

Edit:
Just ordered http://performance.importrp.com/flex.../i-396504.aspx should be an replace for the #220 fan. Will have to make custom brackets or something, ill figure it out

Last edited by Rasmusm; 04-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement