Projector Retrofit Write-Up (Valeo H7) 5G Prelude - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #51
Rocket3004
True Luder

Rocket3004 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post
This Writeup has been updated, pictures fixed and some corrections made in the text. (May 30, 2007)

- JL
thanks as always.... I'm planning on doing this soon w/ valeo projectors I have from before so expect some pm's in the near future!
Rocket3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #52
billiam
iamNOTerator

billiam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the roughbilliam is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for this JLude! i didnt do a retro but Its a great guide for taking out the headlight. I replaced mine today and this helped a lot

+1

Edit: haha I just went to rep you but I couldnt because I repped you last

Last edited by billiam; 06-15-2007 at 03:12 PM.
billiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #53
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22LudeSH View Post
Thanks for this JLude! i didnt do a retro but Its a great guide for taking out the headlight. I replaced mine today and this helped a lot

+1

Edit: haha I just went to rep you but I couldnt because I repped you last
Hey it's the thought that counts!

Glad it was helpful to you.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #54
element_2nice
True Luder

element_2nice is on a distinguished road
hey JLude great write up man....i understand the basics involved in doing the retrofit and soon will be doing mine. All credit to you doing this write up..

Just got one question; How exactly you made the shroud? The whole template thingy, i just don't get it...plz could you explain a bit....
also wats the purpose of shroud anyways?
element_2nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #55
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by element_2nice View Post
hey JLude great write up man....i understand the basics involved in doing the retrofit and soon will be doing mine. All credit to you doing this write up..

Just got one question; How exactly you made the shroud? The whole template thingy, i just don't get it...plz could you explain a bit....
also wats the purpose of shroud anyways?
For the shroud I used aluminum sheeting from Home Depot. I first made a template out of paper and test fit the paper shroud and cut it till it was perfect, then I traced it onto the aluminum and cut the aluminum and we have a shroud! the purpose of the shroud is 2 fold:
1. To block light from leaking from the sides of the projector and creating glare.
2. For appearance, to make it look more pleasing to the eye.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #56
element_2nice
True Luder

element_2nice is on a distinguished road
hey wat kind of blade did u use for the dremel....? wat size was it??
i'm having hard times cutting with the blade i m using...
element_2nice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #57
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element_2nice View Post
hey wat kind of blade did u use for the dremel....? wat size was it??
i'm having hard times cutting with the blade i m using...
You should be using Heavy Duty cutoff wheel. These are made to cut metal so it cuts through the reflector material like butter.

- J

Old 07-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #58
Rocket3004
True Luder

Rocket3004 is on a distinguished road
Arghh, the only thing I don't have is a dremel. I cant think of anything, but any alternatives to using one?
Rocket3004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #59
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket3004 View Post
Arghh, the only thing I don't have is a dremel. I cant think of anything, but any alternatives to using one?
Yea, send them to me instead and have me do the work for you.

A dremel only costs about $30 at walmart, dude.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #60
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket3004 View Post

A dremel is your friend. Like Jesse mentioned, you can get one at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes...I'm already on my 3rd damn dremel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #61
grego
Lude Addict

grego is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude1897 View Post
A dremel is your friend. Like Jesse mentioned, you can get one at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes...I'm already on my 3rd damn dremel
Sears replacement plan

grego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #62
Suicide_Hz
Lude Addict

Suicide_Hz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLude View Post
Overall with all the tools, adhesives, springs, bolts, etc etc. Around $575. But I bought brand new OEM BMW/Mercedes bulbs, ballasts and Audi projectors. The OEM ballasts have a life expectancy of 2,500 hours which is about 100,000 miles of driving with the HID's on the entire time.
At what speed?
Suicide_Hz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #63
The'Lude
Lude Addict

The'Lude is on a distinguished road
What kind of HID kit do you use? The ones off HIDplanet.com? And where can you get a wiring harness or is it included in a kit?
The'Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #64
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The'Lude View Post
What kind of HID kit do you use? The ones off HIDplanet.com? And where can you get a wiring harness or is it included in a kit?
I use any type of OEM ballast that's equipped for D2S/D2R bulbs. I have a friend of mine who makes PnP harnesses

97 Prelude-RHD project#2

Retrofit Service PM me

Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #65
tuffshot_nba

tuffshot_nba is on a distinguished road
oh my god dude, thats hard to do. I was thinking about doin this until I saw this write-up. Well done to you. Great write-up.
tuffshot_nba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #66
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffshot_nba View Post
oh my god dude, thats hard to do. I was thinking about doin this until I saw this write-up. Well done to you. Great write-up.
Indeed! that's why most people who get Retrofits elect to send them to myself or Brian for the custom work. It's not for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The'Lude View Post
It's best to use OEM, HID ballasts and you must use D2S bulbs with HID projectors and D2S OEM ballasts already have the correct connectors to work with the bulbs. Any OEM ballast is better quality than the best aftermarket crap.
OEM ballasts and bulbs have to pass rigorous testing before an auto manufacturer will use them. Aftermarket ballasts and bulbs do not go through testing so you have no idea what kind of quality you are getting!

- JL

Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #67
Aderks
True Luder

Aderks is on a distinguished road
What ballasts are the best to use for TSX, Valeo projector? Or does it really matter what OEM ballast you use, as long as its OEM?
Aderks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #68
tuffshot_nba

tuffshot_nba is on a distinguished road
[quote=JLude;1486151]Indeed! that's why most people who get Retrofits elect to send them to myself or Brian for the custom work. It's not for everyone!

It a bit harder for me cause i'm in the UK
tuffshot_nba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #69
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffshot_nba View Post

It a bit harder for me cause i'm in the UK
So you'd be needing RHD projector uhh? The E46 and Valeo's can be swapped from LHD to RHD or can get some Euro Accord projectors. That's what I had to do for a couple of people in Australia

97 Prelude-RHD project#2

Retrofit Service PM me

Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #70
Suicide_Hz
Lude Addict

Suicide_Hz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude1897 View Post
So you'd be needing RHD projector uhh? The E46 and Valeo's can be swapped from LHD to RHD or can get some Euro Accord projectors. That's what I had to do for a couple of people in Australia
Do you just swap the right and left projectors? That can't be all there is to it. You'd have to flip the shields on the inside of the projectors to get them to spill up and off to the left instead of up and to the right.

Do the shields in the Valeos and E46 lights come with removable and flippable shields?
Suicide_Hz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #71
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide_Hz View Post
Do you just swap the right and left projectors? That can't be all there is to it. You'd have to flip the shields on the inside of the projectors to get them to spill up and off to the left instead of up and to the right.

Do the shields in the Valeos and E46 lights come with removable and flippable shields?
yep, all you have to do is flip the shields and you're done

97 Prelude-RHD project#2

Retrofit Service PM me

Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #72
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide_Hz View Post

You can flip the shields on Valeo by just turning them over. On the E46 single xenon some of them (the ones from HIDplanet.com for instance) can be simply flipped from RHD to LHD and back with a little lever, then I just JB weld them in place.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:00 AM   #73
nammyczc
True Luder

nammyczc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nammyczc
I am wondering if you guys could clear some stuff up.

So you get oem ballast and projectors, but does it matter to get the same brand of projectors and ballast? like E46 projector with ballast. and also the bulbs you just need to use DS2 bulbs for all oem projector? or does it vary from brand

Quote:
when my vtec kicks in, squirrels bleed from the ears.
lol Nice.
nammyczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 12:22 AM   #74
Texas_99_Lude
Lude Dude

Texas_99_Lude is on a distinguished road
You do want to have matching projectors and you want matching ballasts but the projectors and the ballast don't have to be a matching set (but it does always help). And as far as the bulbs different projectors might take different bulbs. It is better to use D2S bulbs as JLude said earlier, "D2S OEM ballasts already have the correct connectors to work with the bulbs" If that doesn't help then maybe the experts(JLude or Brian) could chime in!!
Texas_99_Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #75
1sickasslude
I am Prelude

1sickasslude will become famous soon enough1sickasslude will become famous soon enough
lol...hey can i use the lights from a 350z or a g35??? i can get the hole headlight for free...body shop trashes them on the regular
2005 s2000-payments are a bitch
1sickasslude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement