HOW TO: H22 Auto Tensioner to H23 Manual Tensioner Conversion - Page 3 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #51
juiced

juiced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm3genprelude View Post
hey juiced. when you have the belts on please take pics... i have not got my problem resolved yet. thebalance shaft pulley. cant figure out how its suppose to line up. i see 2 markings on my balancer pulley thats to the right of the crank and below the water pump. 1 marking is on the outer edge looks like an indentation dot. and the other marking is a notch cut out on the innner edge of the gear looks like a v shape.
Hey, I already put mine back together so I dont have pics but I do have a writeup that tells you how to set your front and rear balancer shaft pulleys (its also in the Helms). PM me with your email and Ill forward it to you.
juiced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #52
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced View Post
Hey, I already put mine back together so I dont have pics but I do have a writeup that tells you how to set your front and rear balancer shaft pulleys (its also in the Helms). PM me with your email and Ill forward it to you.

May I also get a copy of that pm?, I already have mine back together, but I had some confusion on the rear balancer as well, the motor idles and runs real smooth, but I wouldn't mind comparing what I have. Thanks for all the info and the pic.............that motor looks very clean!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #53
juiced

juiced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinci-91-H View Post
May I also get a copy of that pm?, I already have mine back together, but I had some confusion on the rear balancer as well, the motor idles and runs real smooth, but I wouldn't mind comparing what I have. Thanks for all the info and the pic.............that motor looks very clean!
Sure just PM me with your email. I also uploaded the writeup here;

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0VMRP2XG

Hopefully everyone can get to it now.
juiced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #54
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

jdm3genprelude is on a distinguished road
thank u thank u. i justpm'ed u with my email. the stupid thing is my CHILTON MANUAL doesnt say how to set it. it just stated that i had to mark it before i start taking it off which i did but it smudged off.
jdm3genprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #55
Rash
I am Prelude

Rash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread or not, but if you plan on getting rid of the balancer shafts/belts, just use PN: 92510A826 (aluminum spacer) from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). This works perfectly instead of the heavy h23 balancer shaft tensioner, or reusing the equally heavy h22 balancer shaft tensioner with washers. Saves more than a couple bucks too (if you decide to buy the h23 balancer shaft tensioner)! Over 30 bucks saved! This was originally the idea of "skrewdlude" from honda-tech. Hats off to you my friend..

A picture of my conversion with the McMaster spacer...

Very lightweight aluminum and sexy! Some specs on the piece from McMaster-Carr if you decide to find your own somewhere else....

Desc: Aluminum Unthreaded Round Spacer
Size: 1" Od, 1" Length, 1/2" Screw Size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rash; 10-28-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #56
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

jdm3genprelude is on a distinguished road
nice but i thought it was mandatory to have the other 2 pulleys on the sides turning...i saw the write for converting not to use balance belt but for some reason my mind said not to read it. lolz
jdm3genprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #57
e.murallo
Elite Member

e.murallo is on a distinguished road

Can i get these parts at a junk yards?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #58
tacticalcustoms
Preludepower Member

tacticalcustoms is on a distinguished road
hell ya. I got mine for 5 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.murallo View Post
Can i get these parts at a junk yards?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tacticalcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #59
rearviewmirror
Ludacious

rearviewmirror will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
i dont see the need in retightening unless something out of the ordinary happens. The belt will eventualy stretch enough to where you may need to retighten, but i dont see that happening anytime soon with a new belt.

I've read this whole thread and still don't hear much talk about the maintenance of the MANUAL tensioner. You said you didn't see the need to adjust it, if that was the case then Honda would have put a manual tensioner on all cars and just called it out on the 30k, 60k, or 90k service interval to check the belt tension. I can't imagine there is any advantage to going manual on a stock engine or even an engine w/ a few mods. On the flip side of that, my Ducati runs a kevlar timing belt w/ manual adjustment and once I set it I don't ever mess with it. Of course I can't compare the pressure/load on the each belt and the Ducati doesn't do anywhere near the miles the Honda does.

So in short, how are you guys actually measuring tension on the belt, and how often do you feel compelled to check it?

Prelude StockProjekt - Daily Driver SOLD
Lexus ES300 StockProjekt - Daily Driver II SOLD
SL2 Bad Weather Beater SOLD
4Runner Mountain Bike Hauler SOLD
Ducati 996 Track Scratcher SOLD

Before you ask a question about
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #60
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
if a manual tensioner back off on tension, then it needs to be replaced. You shouldn't ever have to retension the belt unless doing work on the timing belt. Using a manual tensioner is just added insurance, not to mention that it lasts longer and is much easier to work with than an auto tensioner

98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #61
rearviewmirror
Ludacious

Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via MSN to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Quote:
if a manual tensioner back off on tension, then it needs to be replaced. You shouldn't ever have to retension the belt unless doing work on the timing belt. Using a manual tensioner is just added insurance, not to mention that it lasts longer and is much easier to work with than an auto tensioner
How do you accurately measure the tension w/o a special tool? Or did you purchase one?

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #62
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
How do you accurately measure the tension w/o a special tool? Or did you purchase one?
i was told by a reputable source that you should be able to flip the timing belt 90*. I held the intake gear with a 14mm wrench, turned the crank counter clockwise and tightened the tensioner.

98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #63
rearviewmirror
Ludacious

Quote:
i was told by a reputable source that you should be able to flip the timing belt 90*. I held the intake gear with a 14mm wrench, turned the crank counter clockwise and tightened the tensioner.
Flip it 90 degrees between which pulleys?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #64
Rash
I am Prelude

Rash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the roughRash is a jewel in the rough
My guess would be between the exhaust cam and the crank pulley. Usually deflection is measured between the pulleys that are the farthest apart.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #65
preludeprimo
Lude Addict

preludeprimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
My guess would be between the exhaust cam and the crank pulley. Usually deflection is measured between the pulleys that are the farthest apart.
I was going to do a manual swap. but I got a discount on a auto tensioner and pulley. o well

ON SPRAY

preludeprimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #66
Abuddha

Abuddha has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Abuddha
SHAZAAM!! http://www.importrp.com/product.php?productid=41997

Abuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #67
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Update on my timing belt job:

Held up by the Crank Pulley Bolt! 28" breaker bar and probably 300 ft lbs of torque will not budge it! Fortunately I hadn't taken that much apart on the car because now I have to drive it into EagleEye's shop and have him put an impact wrench on it.

Tip: Have your crank pulley bolt broke loose at a shop BEFORE you begin your T-belt job at home. Trust me.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #68
tacticalcustoms
Preludepower Member

tacticalcustoms is on a distinguished road
lol. jlude. thats so true. I tried 3foot breaker bars. 75lb impact gun. 300ft gun and finally couldn't do anything. so my friends dad from honda came over with a impact gun called Earthquake puts out 1000+ft tq. that sucker came right off!

tacticalcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #69
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice

I actually didn't mean to post that in this thread. heh.

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #70
Rash
I am Prelude

I used that special crank pulley tool, with two breaker bars, two eight foot pipes, and two 230lb guys.

And even that took about 5 minutes.

Hardest part was the engine was sitting on a wooden pallet at time.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #71
fastkill
Ludacious

fastkill is on a distinguished road
got damn crank pully bolt. Shit What is the torque spec on this fucking thing?

fastkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #72
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkill View Post
got damn crank pully bolt. Shit What is the torque spec on this fucking thing?
I think the spec is in the 150 Ft Lb neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #73
jlude90
Preludepower Member

jlude90 will become famous soon enough
y'all sound like a bunch of girls, i had a hammer and a 1/2" ratchet and got it off in about 2 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98VTEC
Its a bunch of fruitcakes in a pie that doesnt mix, with no baking experience.
jlude90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #74
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

Does anyone know what this part is for? It came with my manual tensioner kit but no mention of this bracket is shown in this DIY?!!! According to the parts list this is 14521-P14-A00 - PLATE, ADJUSTER But what does it do? Where does it go?

EDIT: I answered my own questiong by reading this entire thread:

That bracket goes where the old autotensioner was.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #75
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
I'm going to have to do this pretty soon for my other motor

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement