HOW TO: H22 Auto Tensioner to H23 Manual Tensioner Conversion - Page 2 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #26
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Black_Lude View Post
This will probably sound stupid..but what is this for?
stiffer valvesprings put more stress or "tension" on the timing belt thus wearing out the stock autotensioner quicker than normal. With built motors, especially, you dont want your timing belt coming loose, lol.

This allows you to manually tension the belt and you dont have to worry about it failing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #27
cinci-91-H

I'm assuming that nobody here knows the answer to my questions a few posts back?

There are still gaps in this write up, parts that are not shown to be installed are on the list provided.......still some confusion.

After installing my kit, I think that there are 2 ways to install this conversion.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #28
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cruiserdude

Well, I do know that there is one part, a bracket I believe, that all the writeups I have found for this include in the parts list, but is never used for the conversion. So I'm sure that's what you're thinking of...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Andrew-

'01 Premium White Pearl Type SH-ATTS Baby!!!

Click
to join the official Prelude Power Facebook group, we don't bite!
Cruiserdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #29
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserdude View Post
Well, I do know that there is one part, a bracket I believe, that all the writeups I have found for this include in the parts list, but is never used for the conversion. So I'm sure that's what you're thinking of...

If it's the one with 2 bolt holes and a threaded hole, it goes right where the auto tensioner bolted up, with the 2 bottom bolt holes. The oval adjustment slot (vertical, slightly curved) on the manual tensioner bracket, is where I have a threaded pin (came with part kit) threaded into the threaded hole in this bracket that we speak of.

My confusion;

the write up shows a similar threaded pin being installed in the block just to the upper right of the manual tensioner bracket, the bracket pivots or appears to pivot on this pin.

My pin (in parts kit) would not thread into the block as it was too small and threads did not match. Instead I installed it as mentioned above.

my threaded pin is also made of aluminum, the one shown to be installed looks to be brass colored.

I don't believe that both this part and the one that I have can be installed on the same motor, the belt would be too tight to install in my opinion. My belt had to be stretched into place, even with the pulley at full loose.

I'll try to email a pic to you tonight.

Andy.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #30
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

jdm3genprelude is on a distinguished road
since this thread has been dead for a while, il bring it back up for a question. i've read that the bracket (14521-P14-A00) is suppose to be installed where the auto tensioner use to be. does anyone have a pic of it? im a rookie but want to do this just incase something was to happen and from what people been saying, auto tensioners are very bad... so if anyone has pics of the manual tensioner installation WITH ALL THE PARTS LISTED, please post them...thank u
jdm3genprelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #31
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

also anyone that is familiar with this thread, on pic 28, theres a washer in between the tension pulley and the balance shaft pulley. where can i get that washer. i went to the dealership and they couldnt find that washing in their schematics. and its needed because i butted up both pulleys and they rub. also, the bracket that was brought up that goes where the auto tensioner use to go, its suppose to bolt onto the tension pulley as like it was to hold the pulley in place. i cant find that screw eigther at the dealership. anyone can help me???
Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #32
preludesh2000
Elite Member

preludesh2000 is on a distinguished road

i just did this ...i would of took pics but its back together....
the washers are just washers that space the two pulleys(adjusters)

it you buy everything on the list ..you won't need the washers in between the two pulleys(adjusters)

when putting on the timing belt , i had a hell of a time doing it...so i put the belt on every pulley then put the belt on the adjuster pulley..

also be very careful with the crankshaft sensor had to replace mine and it was 179 bucks , on top of replacing the new belts i just put on ...cut and nicked them up after the F'ing thing came loose...

any questions i'll try to clear them up ....

brad

2000 sh lude
93 rx7 touring
R.I.P....98 black sh lude
preludesh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #33
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

thanks for the info. the god damn dealership for some reason gave me a new balance shaft tensioner pulley for the h22. i thought i was loosing my mind when i called people that sells the conversions and told me i dont need a washer. i kept telling them "u said when i put the pulleys together, it shouldn't rub". but mine was and come to find out, honda dealership sold me the balance pulley for h22 instead of the h23.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #34
SKIN
True Luder

SKIN is on a distinguished road
I think it should be mentioned also that you can pick up this kit for $89 from Import Replacement Parts.

I also have a question. The list says that part "13415-PT0-000 - BRACKET, BALANCER BELT ADJUSTER" should be used. But when I ordered the kit I received Honda part number 13415-POA-000. Is this the same? Any one know.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #35
Honda4Life1
Banned

Honda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the rough

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIN View Post
I also have a question. The list says that part "13415-PT0-000 - BRACKET, BALANCER BELT ADJUSTER" should be used. But when I ordered the kit I received Honda part number 13415-POA-000. Is this the same? Any one know.
Yes it is the same just a newer number.

Mike (H4L)

Last edited by Honda4Life1; 06-26-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Honda4Life1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #36
Honda4Life1
Banned

Honda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the rough

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda4Life View Post
My question is, What is part #14521-P14-A00 Plate/Adjuster used for? I have helped 2 different people do the swap and never been able to figure out where it goes.

It is listed as one of the parts needed, but it not used in your write up either. I have seen other people on other sites list it in swap kits for the H22 also.

Thanks,
Mike
mnhondaparts@gmail.com
Just wanted to bump this question as no one has ever answered it.

Mike (H4L)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #37
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Just wanted to bump this question as no one has ever answered it.

Mike (H4L)

Did 3gtepsi ever send you my pic of that bracket?, I no longer have the pic, he was also supposed to add it to this thread.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #38
Honda4Life1
Banned

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinci-91-H View Post
Did 3gtepsi ever send you my pic of that bracket?, I no longer have the pic, he was also supposed to add it to this thread.
Nope. So is it used?

Mike (H4L)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #39
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Nope. So is it used?

Mike (H4L)

Yes, I have it on my h22. I'll try to find that pic, I just remebered that he posted in a different thread, give me a minute here.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #40
cinci-91-H

Sorry, I can't find where 3gtepsi posted the pic, it was posted in a thread on here, I even saw it when he posted it, but, searching is not working.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:52 AM   #41
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

yea u guys are right if u order the parts off the list you wont have a problem but the fucken dealership sold me the wrong balancer pulley. the h22 balancer pulley does not have the spacers built on it and the h23 does have a spacer built on the pulley. thats why i couldnt figure out why my pulleys were rubbing. but its good now. i just gota fight the battle on finding out how to set the balance shaft drive pulley thats to the right of the crank below the water pump
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #42
juiced
Getting Comfortable

juiced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nope. So is it used?

Mike (H4L)

Its optional.. I used it on mine to keep the manual tensioner tight while I adjusted the balance tensioner. The belt is on so tight that its kind of pointless but I wasnt taking any chances.

Pic of the bracket from PO(71dsp);

Heres another good write up on how to do the manual tensioner swap.

http://mr22.tistory.com/tag/tensioner

juiced is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #43
Honda4Life1
Banned

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced View Post
Its optional.. I used it on mine to keep the manual tensioner tight while I adjusted the balance tensioner. The belt is on so tight that its kind of pointless but I wasnt taking any chances.

Pic of the bracket from PO(71dsp);

Heres another good write up on how to do the manual tensioner swap.

http://mr22.tistory.com/tag/tensioner

Actually I don't see the piece in the pic.

Mike (H4L)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #44
juiced
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Actually I don't see the piece in the pic.

Mike (H4L)

Another pic; This is the bracket... sits behind the tensioner.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 AM   #45
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced View Post

Another pic; This is the bracket... sits behind the tensioner.
Look at juiced's pic again, the bracket is there, see that curved ovalish adjustment track on the tensioner, you can see the threaded whole on the bracket behind it, he just does not have the pin threaded into it.

If you look just to the upper right of the tensioner pulley, there is a BRASS colored pin (threaded into block) that the tensioner pulley pivots on. When I got my parts, that Brass piece was not brass, but aluminum, and did not fit in the block where shown, but instead fit perfectly (by fit I mean thread pattern) into that bracket in question.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #46
SKIN
True Luder

What is the chance someone could do this swap while the motor was in the car? All the pictures I have seen, the motor is out.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #47
cinci-91-H

Quote:
What is the chance someone could do this swap while the motor was in the car? All the pictures I have seen, the motor is out.

I did mine while still mounted in my 3rd gen.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #48
SKIN
True Luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinci-91-H View Post
I did mine while still mounted in my 3rd gen.
Good to know. Thanks. Anyone do theirs in a 5th gen, motor still in car, just out of curiosity.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #49
juiced
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks. Anyone do theirs in a 5th gen, motor still in car, just out of curiosity.
Yeah, I just did mine with the engine in. It was a PITA putting it back together (having small hands help) but with the right tools you should be straight. The serpentine tool kit I got from Autozone helped out a bunch. Also completely removing the side engine mount will give you more room to work.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:30 PM   #50
jdm3genprelude
Ludacious

hey juiced. when you have the belts on please take pics... i have not got my problem resolved yet. thebalance shaft pulley. cant figure out how its suppose to line up. i see 2 markings on my balancer pulley thats to the right of the crank and below the water pump. 1 marking is on the outer edge looks like an indentation dot. and the other marking is a notch cut out on the innner edge of the gear looks like a v shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement