HOW TO: H22 Auto Tensioner to H23 Manual Tensioner Conversion - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
HOW TO: H22 Auto Tensioner to H23 Manual Tensioner Conversion

Write-up done by Scott Bryars

This seems to be a hot topic for the H22 owners out there. Here is a step by step "how to" conversion to the more reliable H23 (manual) style of tensioner. The H22a block used, is obviously a "mock-up", so don't be critical of the missing pieces. This conversion can be done in the car, but in this case it was done out of the car for illustration purposes only.

Parts list:

13404-PT0-004 - ADJUSTER COMP., BALANCER BELT
13415-PT0-000 - BRACKET, BALANCER BELT ADJUSTER
14510-PT0-004 - ADJUSTER COMP., TIMING BELT
14516-PT2-000 - SPRING COMP., TIMING BELT ADJUSTER
14521-P14-A00 - PLATE, ADJUSTER
90014-P14-A00 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER BASE
90015-PT0-000 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER SPRING
90016-PT0-000 - BOLT, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER
90140-P14-A00 - WASHER, PLAIN (11MM)

Here is a link for the parts list: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto....%282%29
__________________________________________________ __________
This is a frontal and side shot of what the auto tensioner set up looks like with the timing belt cover, balance shaft crank pulley, balance shaft belt, and timing belt out of the way.
All of these thing will need to be removed to do this conversion.

Start by removing the auto tensioner pieces. These following pictures should be fairly self explanitory.

These following pieces will be removed from the h22 in this step and set aside for later use.

With the parts removed this is what it looks like.

This step, we will remove the troublesome auto tensioner.

With the auto tesioner gone, we will remove the rest of the tensioner mechanism. The following pictures should be self explanatory.

Now, with the complete auto tesioner mechanism removed, we are ready to add the manual tensioner parts.

This bolt and washer are what we start with. The factory washer is critical! It has a larger diameter than the block casting. This is a factory Honda part #90140-P14-A00 - WASHER, PLAIN (11MM), but for those of you who are lazy or pinching pennies, the diameter is 40mm and the thickness is 1.5mm If the wrong washer is used, improper alignment can occure as well as limited movement of the timing belt tensioner pulley.

These 2 pieces will be added next.

Add the timing belt tensioner pulley and check to see if it has full movement on its pivot.

Next we will install the balance shaft tensioner pulley. For this install, we will re-use the H22 part. The H23 part has a larger spacer that places it further out away from the timing belt pulley. I recomend using the H23 part (not shown), but with a few washers (used as spacers) the H22 pulley (pictured) can be used correctly.

If you are reusing the H22 part, MAKE SURE THE PULLEYS CLEAR EACH OTHER! This is a common mistake and can be catastrophic. When reusing the h22 balance shaft tensioner pulley, the pulleys must not touch! if you are using a h23 balance shaft tensioner pulley, there is no need to worry. it is already spaced properly.

Reinstall the balance shaft tensioner retainer.

Manual style tensioner in place completely. front and side views.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 98vtec; 11-30-2005 at 01:32 PM.
98vtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
91preyludesi
Lude Boss

91preyludesi is on a distinguished road
that is such a good writeup. glad it willl be somewhere it will last. *cough* sticky* cough** cough*. the collectiveracing link didnt work for me either. 2.2 did you do this already when you swapped??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
91preyludesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
98vtec
bangin' gears

98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all98vtec is a name known to all

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91preyludesi
that is such a good writeup. glad it willl be somewhere it will last. the collectiveracing link didnt work for me either. 2.2 did you do this already when you swapped??
yep. These pictures should never go down.....atleast unless SHO goes down

Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
prelude1897
RHD Pimpin

prelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the roughprelude1897 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to prelude1897
This should be a sticky if it isn't already...I've already done this conversion myself

98 Prelude-Parts Car-SOLD
97 Prelude-RHD project#2
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
99 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
01 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
94 Prelude-VTEC status-Traded
98 Prelude-traded for 94 prelude
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD
97 Prelude-Parts car-SOLD

Retrofit Service PM me

prelude1897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Boosted521

Boosted521 is on a distinguished road
it's going in the resource thread. thanks blake

-----------------------------------------
07 gpw s2000 - 07 gsxr1000 - 08 4runner
-----------------------------------------
prev. - 03 s2000 / 03 350z perf. / 03 350z touring
03 cobra / 97 prelude / 06 cbr1000 / 03 cbr600 /
99 civic ex / 91 ford ranger
Boosted521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Mikeyslude

nice write up and pics. please sticky this.

i've done the conversion here as well but it was no where near as easy as it looks because my engine was still in the car.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Dem1K
True Luder

Dem1K is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dem1K
so that parts list is just for the swap only, right? Cause I need to supposedly replace my auto-tensioner (which means I need to replace the timing belt and water pump). Are those not included in that parts list? I need to know all the parts in order to get all this fixed.

btw, awesome write-up

Dem1K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Honda4Life1
Banned

Honda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the rough

Prelude of the Month
I believe that is what you need in place of the auto tensioner.
Honda4Life1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
xPhax
Getting Comfortable

xPhax is on a distinguished road
Is the h23 balance shaft tensioner pulley included in the parts list?
xPhax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Dem1K
True Luder

Dem1K is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dem1K
it looks like there is a timing belt in there also? Is that the same belt that I need replacing when doing this service? Looks like I would need those parts, and then the water pump?

Dem1K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
lambolude
Stop typing and go DO it!

lambolude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lambolude

how about a specific complete parts list including both h23 tensioners and both belts?

sig by: Black Night

Prelude.....an introductory performance, action, or event preceding and preparing for the principal or a more important matter

Check out my sick ass lude

lambolude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #12
preludesh2000
Elite Member

preludesh2000 is on a distinguished road

is there any kind of maintence to a manual tensiioner...such as tighting it ever so often....
or is that just the name itself "manual tensioner"
does it self tighten also ???...with the spring

2000 sh lude
93 rx7 touring
R.I.P....98 black sh lude

Last edited by preludesh2000; 05-31-2006 at 06:03 PM.
preludesh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
JLude
Idiotic Thread Locker!

JLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really niceJLude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JLude

Thanks bro! I'll be using this when I change my timing belt at 85K

Former 5th, 4th and 3rd gen Prelude owner. Current: 2004 Toyota Tundra V8 DC 4x4, '00 Civic LX beater, '06 Yamaha FZ6S, '07 Victory Kingpin - Still a Prelude enthusiast!

JLude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cruiserdude

Yeah, just looking through the resource thread here and I echo PreludeSH2000's question: Does the manual tensioner ever need re-adjustment? I was under the impression that it does not, but then a local mechanic friend of mine (who really knows his shit) said that as far as he knows, a manual tensioner would have to be re-adjusted periodically.

-Andrew-

'01 Premium White Pearl Type SH-ATTS Baby!!!

Click
to join the official Prelude Power Facebook group, we don't bite!
Cruiserdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Cruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the roughCruiserdude is a jewel in the rough

*bump* Still wanting to know for sure, as I'm about to do this. I've heard different things from different people, all of them very reliable sources. Do I ever have to readjust a manual tensioner after initial installation, or not?

-Andrew-

Click
Old 12-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
98vtec
bangin' gears

Prelude of the Month
i dont see the need in retightening unless something out of the ordinary happens. The belt will eventualy stretch enough to where you may need to retighten, but i dont see that happening anytime soon with a new belt.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Honda4Life1
Banned

Honda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the roughHonda4Life1 is a jewel in the rough

Prelude of the Month
My question is, What is part #14521-P14-A00 Plate/Adjuster used for? I have helped 2 different people do the swap and never been able to figure out where it goes.

It is listed as one of the parts needed, but it not used in your write up either. I have seen other people on other sites list it in swap kits for the H22 also.

Thanks,
Mike
mnhondaparts@gmail.com
Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
Cruiserdude
Type-Esss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda4Life View Post
My question is, What is part #14521-P14-A00 Plate/Adjuster used for? I have helped 2 different people do the swap and never been able to figure out where it goes.

It is listed as one of the parts needed, but it not used in your write up either. I have seen other people on other sites list it in swap kits for the H22 also.

Thanks,
Mike
mnhondaparts@gmail.com
That's the A-bracket you told me about?

-Andrew-

Click
Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
Honda4Life1
Banned

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserdude View Post
That's the A-bracket you told me about?
Yes sir it is the one we discussed on the phone.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
gfresh86
Lude Dude

gfresh86 is on a distinguished road
another question is how would u be able to readjsut the tensioner? would you have to take apart the timing covers again?
gfresh86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
cinci-91-H

In Pic #18 & #19 there is shown a small threaded "pivot shaft" that is shown to be threaded into the block. I am doing this conversion and ordered the parts list posted here. I received a small plate not viewed in any of these pics. It appears to bolt to block right where the auto tensioner bolted, the bolt pattern is the same. That "pivot shaft" did not match the threads on my block where it is shown in #18 & #19 being installed. It did however fit the bracket (bolted where auto tensioner was), I believe that this is how you lock the pulley into position on a h23. On this application, however, I am finding that the belt is already pretty tight at full loosen on this bracket.

My question:

Is there an additional part # that I need to order to get the piece from #18 & #19 ?, I think I need something there for the timing tensioner pulley to pivot on.

anyone follow what I'm saying ?, I'll try to get some pics and put them up.

Last edited by cinci-91-H; 04-16-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
daluder
Lude Boss

daluder is on a distinguished road
anyone wanna do this for my lude??

holy sh*t..holy sh*t..

daluder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #23
Lil_Black_Lude
Lude Addict

Lil_Black_Lude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Lil_Black_Lude
This will probably sound stupid..but what is this for?
Lil_Black_Lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
1fastlude
Prelude Aficionado

1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about1fastlude has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to 1fastlude Send a message via Yahoo to 1fastlude
Hey Mike(Honda4life) can u give me an quote on how much i'd be lookin at for all the parts for the conversion?
Thanks, Kevin(1fastlude)
1fastlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #25
cinci-91-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastlude View Post
Hey Mike(Honda4life) can u give me an quote on how much i'd be lookin at for all the parts for the conversion?
Thanks, Kevin(1fastlude)

Roughly $200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement