Auto to 5 Speed - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Xclusive1
Getting Comfortable

Xclusive1 is on a distinguished road
Auto to 5 Speed

Just like the title says guys. Has anyone on here done the actual swap? If so, what would you consider the toughest part? Do any motor/tranny mounts need to be moved?

Not sure if it matters but it would be for the b20a5 engine.

Thanks.
Xclusive1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive1 View Post
Just like the title says guys. Has anyone on here done the actual swap? If so, what would you consider the toughest part? Do any motor/tranny mounts need to be moved?

Thanks.
This has been done many times, myself included.

Its only as hard as your skill set will allow you.

If you are not experienced and have no tools its hard.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Clik Here)
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funryd View Post
This has been done many times, myself included.

Its only as hard as your skill set will allow you.

If you are not experienced and have no tools its hard.
Way to encourage him Sean

I don't disagree with what you said but you didn't even try to address his questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive1 View Post

Thanks.
I haven't done this swap, but like Sean said, this has been done many times. Do some research on the site and you should be able to find the answers to all of your questions. Start with the FAQ, then use the advanced search function.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Xclusive1
Getting Comfortable

Thats Sean being Sean lol.

I have read up on it, I even have the walk thru from Mustardcats website saved as a favorite. Actually, I have his entire website saved. I just wanted to see what if any other advise or info anyone was willing to share. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 AM   #5
tavo_80816
Lude Dude

tavo_80816 is on a distinguished road
I did it.

Hardest part was finding all the parts I needed for the lowest price possible. Lucked out and found a 5spd prelude in the 3rd junk yard I visited.

'91 Prelude Si Rosso Corsa Red (5spd swap DONE!)
'01 E38
'02 E53
tavo_80816 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Run_Away will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
I did it about 10 years ago when I knew very little about cars. It was such a long time ago I don't remember too much, but from what I can remember...
-the steering column has to be dropped to swap the pedals. Took me a while to figure this out
-the radius rod has to come out to make room to drop the auto IIRC
-I had to buy a large drill bit and long bolts to secure the manual mount into place as the frame doesn't have the captive nuts in the manual mount locations
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Xclusive1
Getting Comfortable

Thanks for the input guys. I actually picked up an auto prelude and have a manual 5 speed parts car in my back yard. I may be attempting the swap in the near future. my parts car appears to have a b20 and my auto has a b20a5, this may be a dumb question but the tranny should work right?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
Way to encourage him Sean

I don't disagree with what you said but you didn't even try to address his questions.

I haven't done this swap, but like Sean said, this has been done many times. Do some research on the site and you should be able to find the answers to all of your questions. Start with the FAQ, then use the advanced search function.
lol!!!

I did not mean to sound mean or anything...

I only meant, that if you are not comfortable with working on the motor and transmission then it can be hard.

I myself find it easy, its just time consuming. It was great with the help of MustardCat, and a couple other old members who stopped by to lend a helping hand.

But in my experience, it was really straight forward.

To make it fun and easier, get some gear head type friends to help out and feed them and give them drink(no alcohol until after all the nitty gritty is done..lol)

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

(Clik Here)
Email:

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!

Last edited by 1funryd; 01-11-2017 at 01:10 PM.
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement