HOW TO: 5th Generation LED Conversion - Page 15 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #351
Ludaa206
Getting Comfortable

Ludaa206 is on a distinguished road
Thanks dragonium, those look sweet by the way. How difficult was it to do the clock mod? Also about how much would I be looking at for a complete led swap. I'm talking the whole 9?
Ludaa206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #352
piratestatic
Getting Comfortable

piratestatic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BB6er View Post
This should be a sticky somewhere!
This should be a sticky for sure! I found this because I am looking around for things to do to my car.
piratestatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #353
Snicket44

Snicket44 is on a distinguished road
Do the LEDs still work on the dimmer? I imagine they're super bright.
Snicket44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #354
TYPEII
Getting Comfortable

TYPEII is on a distinguished road
Sorry about bringing this back from the DEAD. But what's the best T3 LED for the Dimmer on the Cruise Control Cluster? I bought these and they are way dim, Cruise and Sun roof are bright but not on the dimmer, does this one area need a special T3 Bulb.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-T3-Neo...item58bf581995
TYPEII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #355
Smoketec

Smoketec is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Not a bad job to do

Snicket44 asked, ...YES LEDs do dim with dimmer knob.

I just converted my gauges to blue led, but I didn't order tripower bulbs and I do have a semi-dark area on both speedo and rpms. wish I'd have followed directions better : ) but it still looks awesome and it was not difficult. Now I've gotta do up 'smurftec' (My Lady's '01 blue vtec) with pink gauges as a xmas gift.

I just installed new oil cooler oring as it began to snow... and now have to wait to install vc gasket pack, vtec filter gasket, vtec upper solenoid gasket, distributor seal and cam caps. There's a foot of snow in Denver and Jeepers lives in the garage.

1999 black vtec "smoketec" slammed, adjustable coils, ASA 18' rims, cold-air, royal purple syn 5W-30, oil leaks.
lights: 10000K HID conversion and T10 blue LED parking lights, Blue H3c LED foglights, Super Bright white LED 1200 lumen reverse lights, Blue LED gauges, Blue T10 LED interior dome...Awesome!!! thanks man.

Last edited by Smoketec; 12-17-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Smoketec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #356
Cheesybox

Cheesybox is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the necro

So having recently done this myself,

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...&postcount=241
As kyt says here, the backlight bulbs are in fact #24, not #74, so keep that in mind. Gear selector and coin tray are #74. Also, when in doubt, buy brighter bulbs. I can't speak to the effectiveness of the tri-powers personally (as I didn't buy them), but 3x 3528 SMD bulbs aren't enough in my opinion. At least not in purple they aren't, which may be part of the problem for me.

http://heracolights.com/2014/03/10/3...ed-smd-diodes/
In terms of brightness, 5630>5050>3528.

To answer the fried gauges thing, I'm pretty sure it's an issue of the bulbs shorting the circuits out.
I got some el cheapo leds (3x 3528 SMDs) which worked, but were incredibly dim (I got purple ones). Broke down and bought the 6x 5630 Goldstars off autolumination and come to find out that the base of the bulb is too small and falls right out of the twist base. Took the gauges out and put them in from the opposite side (IE, twist base screwed in, put the bulbs in them) to make sure they work. They did and worked for a few minutes.
Took them out, used a little bit of aluminum foil to pad out the extra space, right on the terminals of these bulbs. Turn em on, nothing happens, immediately hear the "ffffssss" of wiring burning and then that fried electronic smell.

So for people worried about frying the cluster, you only fry those wires when it shorts. That's the only way you can make those things melt like that. They're easy to re-solder, but know that those areas are essentially built in fuses, so if you solder them again and something shorts, you're boned. The other thing is that the entire cluster doesn't screw up, just the backlighting (all my gauges still work, but I can't drive at night without a flashlight until I re-solder these things).
Cheesybox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #357
Smoketec

Smoketec is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had success with #24's ??

QUOTING KYT FROM PAGE 10, halfway down:

"The indicator bulbs and the backlight bulbs are CLEARLY not the same type.
I believe the indicators are actually #74 in a T1.5 socket (same as T5?): http://www.imperialsupplies.com/items.asp?item=0813870

I believe the backlight bulbs are actually #24 in a T6.5 socket (same as T2.5?): http://www.imperialsupplies.com/items.asp?item=0815660

**links just for bulb reference only**

With the tri #74's I got online, I put one in an indicator hole, and it fits.
But if you put it in the #24 T6.5 hole, its loose and wiggles around.
I think this is why that one was blinky until it failed.

I also believe this could be part of the reason people are having coverage issues with the LEDs. We're using smaller bulbs to cover a larger area."

****Damn good point, I also have base ludes. Larger bulbs make sense to me. Do you know anyone who's tried those in a gauge cluster still having the 'filter' in place?? Did the #24 backlights fix the dark spot on 20 / hot spot on 30mph?/ And do they match the brightness of the #74's in the indicator locations??

I already did mine blue, and my lady's gauges pink. She's experiencing the flickering "blinky" symptom in the temp gauge location. I followed Catacon's guide 'HOW TO: 5th Generation LED Conversion' step by step(except I didn't get tri-power, seems that over time they weren't good anyway) but aside from the indicator bulbs, which turned out perfectly, the backlights're not bright enough for my taste. KYT makes a damn good point.

SOMEONE LET ME KNOW ASAP??
Thanks a bunch,

Last edited by Smoketec; 02-20-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Smoketec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #358
Jin

Jin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonium25 View Post
Here's my interior now (did the clock mod while I was at it):

Picked up a USDM bezel and fog light switch a couple weeks ago

and with one of the extra SMDs I had left over...
What was the process for doing the ignition switch light? Looks great.
Jin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #359
01stocklude

01stocklude is on a distinguished road
FYI Philips now makes these LEDs (esp #194), but I think they're mostly bright white light color output (in different temperatures). They have other color outputs meant for external lights I think.

I think they're better than the cheaper weird off-brands. Guaranteed for 12 years.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D3VZG/

Last edited by 01stocklude; 09-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.
01stocklude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #360
hnelle4

hnelle4 is on a distinguished road
Bookmarked this post! This thread is really good. Definitely didn't expected this when I joined this forum! Good job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement