Honda Prelude Forum banner

H23a Blue Top mild build

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr. Bobby 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've never posted here before but i have been reading advice and what not on this site for a long time. I have a 95 Prelude SE, which i am currently working to put a H23a Blue Top into as the title suggests. I bought the PDE spec from hmotors, and have gotten the head off and am about to send that off to the machine shop for a rebuild and cleaning.

My plan is to put type s pistons in (which i have some questions about), and then later on to upgrade the top end to some more aggressive cams (no more money at the moment, and i need to get the car up and running in a timely fashion). i am also looking at getting a euro r intake to put onto it. And of course, i will be getting it tuned in hondata first thing once i get her up and running.

I mainly have two questions. 1) will the type s pistons work with no modifications? I have seen a little bit of confusing info on this. I know it won't stick out of the hole, as the blue top has 141 mm rods. I am mainly concerned about the difference in the skirts. 2) I was looking at the kaizenspeed balance shaft kit, and was unsure what engine to select for that. I am thinking the h22a4/7 is correct, but confirmation would be helpful.

Thanks in advance guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
In truth, you should have left it alone and not taken it apart.The H23's are great performers with a stock shortblock, especially with low miles. The money you're going to spend on Type S pistons is a meager gain over the factory units.

As far as cams goes, you'll have to look around and figure out what fits your needs. For a bolt-ons car that will be living on the street, Skunk2 Stage 1 cams are probably fine.

I would skip on Hondata, especially for the price. For an N/A car, you'll be more than capable with Crome or Neptune; the selection between the two depends on your tuner. And, if you live in a state where your car will need to be inspected and plugged in for OBD diagnostics, you can forget all of it- you'll need a piggyback ECU such as GReddy EManage Ultimate.

#3 ·
You failed to answer either of my questions. I already have a hondata ecu, and I live in Virginia, so I'm good on the inspections. The type s pistons will raise the compression from 10.6:1 to 11.68:1. Yeah, I know, not too helpful at the moment, but I won't have to take it apart in a year when I want to put camshafts on there. I can just slap some camshafts on there, degree it, and get a tune. Rather not have to take the motor out off the car again. I didn't ask what I should do with the motor. I asked two very specific questions, pertaining to what I have already decided to do.

#6 ·
You failed to answer either of my questions.
Sue me for giving you good advice anyway.
I already have a hondata ecu, and I live in Virginia, so I'm good on the inspections.
Didn't know that, as you didn't mention it in your original post.
The type s pistons will raise the compression from 10.6:1 to 11.68:1. Yeah, I know, not too helpful at the moment, but I won't have to take it apart in a year when I want to put camshafts on there.
Duh, they raise the compression- but also, duh, you don't need them to run a healthy set of aftermarket camshafts. The factory 10.6:1 compression is high enough to provide enough squeeze for a mild bolt-ons N/A motor, like I was saying.

I guess should have spelled that out a little better. I've run Type S pistons in an H22A4 in the past with great success, but have no experience with an H23A.
I can just slap some camshafts on there, degree it, and get a tune.
Lol no you can't.
Rather not have to take the motor out off the car again. I didn't ask what I should do with the motor. I asked two very specific questions, pertaining to what I have already decided to do.
But you did ask what you should do if you got the Type S pistons into the H23A, and what you should do for a balance shaft delete, so...

Nevermind, I won't waste any more of your time. Best of luck.

#4 · (Edited)
Content deleted, because, some little snowflake out there can't handle some garage talk. That, and wing9903 says they are too long to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.