Honda Prelude Forum banner

How to Color Mod EL cluster

13K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  jpsevo 
#1 ·
OK well this is my 1st DIY thread so Plz bare with me lol. For anyone who has the EL gauges and want to change the color but can't seem to find any info on how this thread is for u. For starters ur going to have to remove the cluster. Removing the cluster is very easy. Im going to assume if ur smart enough to rip out and change gauge colors then ur smart enough to kno how to get em out lol...if not just google it. Anyways once u have the dash of the procedure is as follows. BTW i am NOT in ANY way responsible for any damage that u may/may not have occur while doing this mod. Mod at ur OWN RISK.

Tools Needed
-Phillips Head screw driver
-Electronics (small) phillips
-Flat head screw driver
-Colored acetate paper (ur choice I used blue)
-Super Glue
-Scissors
-A ruler
-Patience

When the cluster is out it should look like this

Turn it over and remove the screws in the bottom. Be careful there are circuit boards underneath. I would recommend that once the cicuit boards are taken off u put them up somewhere n dont touch them until its time to reinstall. Static electricity could ruin the board and EL cluster/parts arent cheap.

Now you have to remove the plastic cover over the gauges. The cover is held on by clips that can easily be undone with ur fingers. Just take ur time and be careful so that u dont break any.

Cover on

Cover off

With the plastic cover removed its now time to remove the gauge faces. Be very VERY careful when removing these. If u touch the gauge face it'll leave fingerprints and u CANNOT get them off. The face is held on by 4 tiny screws.

Once u have the screws out set them somewhere u wont loose them. Now ur going to have to lift up slightly on the face and rotate clockwise very carefully. This will free the faces from the needles. Keep in mind the faces are still held on by the odometer peg.

With gauge face free lift over odometer peg. You should now be looking at this. *NOTE* There are 2 plastic covers when faces are removed. I took pic after i removed one. The cover simply lift off. Its not necessary to remove these but u can if u want to.

Now the tricky part...adding color:tongue:. What i did to make things easier was measure about the size of the BACK of the gauge face.

Now from ur measurements cut the appropriate size piece of acetate paper (Cut a rectangle and ull trim to fit)

Lay the acetate over the back side of the gauges and lightly trace around the outside of the gauges so that the acetate paper (when cut out lol) After tracing cut out and lay over gauge face. *NOTE* There are 2 litlle peg (1 on each side) that u will have to cut out a small whole for. Once trimmed and laid out it should look somethin like this.

Once u have both side cut out and laid out its time to glue them down. All u need is a very small dab of super glue in a few location (dont cover wording/number) but make sure they will be held down good on all sides. Let the glue dry for a few min and be sure to wipe any excess (if applicable) off so that nothing unwanted sticks together:tongue:

Now pick up the plastic cover that goes over the gauge faces.

Turn it upside down and ull see a little plastic piece that is removable. This is what ur odometer shines/reflects thru. To make everything match ur going to have to add a piece of acetate to this as well.

Remove the part by gently pulling it upward. Just be careful and make sure u dont break one of the tabs...wouldnt be good haha.

once the part is out, trace around the outside of it on the acetate so that ur piece of paper will be the same size as the plastic part. Cut out ur piece of paper and glue it to the plastic part. (There were 3 little circles on the plastic piece that i used as glue points. Worked really well for me.)

Let the glue dry for a minute or so and then reattach the plastic piece to the gauge cover. (Wjust slides into place)

Ok now with the hard part outta the way its time for reassembly. 1st locate the plastic pieces that go over the light tubes. Place these in there according areas.

Next Ur going to want to put the gauge faces back on. Much like taking them off ur going to have to be careful puttin them back on. Once again DONT TOUCH the gauge faces or it WILL leave marks that you CANT get off. I hope that was clear enough lol:smashfreakB: Start by putting the odometer peg thru its hole in the face. Then slowly and carefully rotate counter clockwise this time, the guage faces down into position.

With the gauges back in place put in the 4 small screws that hold them in.

The next step is to reattach the plastic cover that goes over the gauges.

Now put in/on both circuit boards. They will just rest in place until the screws are put back in

Finally place the plastic cover (idk if ur will be taped like mine is lol) back on the bottom of the cluster and install all screws.

Now set back with a smile on ur face knowing u did something cool to ur car all on ur own :biggrin: Run out to ur car and install them. Heres the final product:wink::cool:

Best of luck and i hope this helped.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#13 ·
I tried using purple but the gauges didn't turn out how I wanted. They are more of a light purple, pinkish color. I could not do more layers because they wouldn't be bright enough, I going to switch them to just blue.

#19 ·
Congratulations on your work. But... werent you supposed to use fingernail polish remover with acetone to remove the coloring of the numbers so that then, when you put the blue paper it is even brighter? Just a though though... I saw that some guys did it and used the fingernail polish remover. Let me know what you think.

#21 ·
Im sure its not for the non el since i had it and you cant remove the colours. They are plastic white and the Green bulbs to the colour. Its like trying to remoce the colour of a printed paper. It will blur Out all the image.

I did some research and ita for the el, but not all of them do it.

#23 ·
Well, i didnt find acetone in my country, cause its forbidden.. even with nail polishers.. so i did what you did and it come out great. I dont have pics yet. The cluster looks mint, but i fucked half of my car electricy while doing the el cluster conversion though.. sucks.

#25 ·
Glad u like the results man. Post pix when U can
Here you go.. the shitty thing is that my center console lights are out now.. i mean.. the little light in the buttons work.. but not the background light blue light.. i dont know why...

#29 ·
Results look awesome man. Like the guages. Ya I keep mine bright too. I cant stand not bein able to see my gauges lol. Pix of issue? IM not sure I follow with how u described it lol
Thanks bro. I dont have any pics... but... look... You know the center console.. right above the stereo? were the ac, defroster and stuff are located? Well... Each button has a tiny green/orange light inside... those lights work... BUT... the back-light of them... the light blue light.. which lets you know which button is what at night... doesnt lit anymore. I dont think i can be more specific lol.

#33 ·
where are you finding this blue film from? and how many layers? im trying to get mine to maych my glowshift gauges. lol i think one layter of blue would be better. does it dim them down too much for the day that they are hard to see? or is it hard to notice any difference?

#34 ·
Did you check mine? i also have glowshift gauges... i found the film in a plastic shop.. those who make signals for the street and buildings? like Be careful, stairs. DONT SMOKE, DONT TURN etc. etc... I used 3 layers and it matches preety much. In the day you can still see everything but its not very bright.

#36 ·
i dont want to loose the brightness during the day. i mean the blue on my gauges is kind of bright, so if i get it more blue than the teal, it will be better. ill start with one. thanks again. i guess i just have to go for it. ive taken my gauges apart and such, just never bothered with the film.

hjdanzi, did you find a way to dim the glowshifts? they have the dim wire, but i dont know how to connect it to the factory switch. i was going to just make my own switch for them because at night they are annoying as hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.