Triptronic Question - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Review Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 PM
2ndLewd is on a distinguished road
Triptronic Question

So I just got my second Lude - 1998 Base, Auto (cringe!). I know right off the bat, 20 or so people will tell me 2 do a 5 speed swap. Maybe later. As for now, I will be very specific about my issues to see if she is going to fail soon. Generally, she shifts pretty well. The only wierd stuff is when shes cold, it takes a little longer to shift from 1st to 2nd. (About 2 sec.). Once I'm driving for a while it works perfectly, especially when i drive hard. What she hates is parking lot driving (Going back and forth between 1st & 2nd). I use manual shift for that and its better. Seems like it shifts sluggish when I drive too slow and works great when I punch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Lude Dude

STL_prelude is on a distinguished road
I heard hondas like ro shift a litle higher in cold weather to heat up fast. Yes that is actualy written in the manual so that is normal to some degree of course. As for the slow driving i think its just the effect from the torque converter.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM

MoukiWisey is on a distinguished road
I am no longer allowed to post on car fan pages.

------------------------------
I think I'll have to treat myself to a new erotic lingerie stores soon.

Last edited by MoukiWisey; 01-28-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:21 PM

GhostPrelude is on a distinguished road
I have a 1998 base lude with at auto trans. all gears work just fine except for reverse.
i have been doing some digging around on the internet and found a few different places to look for transmissions. and also tried to find out on some labor guides how much shop cost would be to take out the current trans and rebuild it with supplied parts from me. but im still not exactly sure what parts i completely need in order to move forward with the process of doing a possible rebuild of the current transmission. so, my question for the masses is this,
what parts EXACTLY do i need to do a complete rebuild of the transmission internally to racing spec? the reason why i choose racing spec, is simple, racing spec, if used in daily commuting purpose, often times, wears out more of a longer period of time then the standard equipment that was designed and engineered originally for the car. Does any one here know of what i am talking about? or can at the very least point me in the right direction?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:03 PM

Jthmfreak79 is on a distinguished road
My 97 base auto had the same issue, and it never went any further. I put 40k on her (bought it with 180k)in a year with it like that (driven hard) , and no problems. From what I have researched and read, the autos either failed early on, or last forever.
Try checking all the shift solenoids also. Just don't flush the tranny, drain and fill only.
Other luders have had good experiences with b&m trick shift transmission fluid.
One thing I noticed that would make those first shifts happen with no issue at all was to let the car warm up for about fifteen minutes, doing that made it seem like the issue was never there.
Hope some of this was helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement