Honda Prelude Forum banner

If you could buy any car under $36K what would you buy?

17K views 284 replies 123 participants last post by  Sefuthun 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know we all love our Ludes, but I pose this question. If you had $36,000 to spend on any car, what would you buy?

It can be used or brand new cars. I'm asking mainly because I'm graduating college soon and will finally be able to afford to make payments on a a car, so Im kind of shopping around right now and dreaming. Feel free to throw in some hypothetical combinations like "Id buy a used X and do this and that to it"

#11 ·
the evo is overpriced?
stripped down eclipse sedan?
how does that work, exactly?
it's got more power, a more advanced awd system, better handling, recaro seats and momo wheel...
not to mention evo spec enkei wheels that are uber light weight.
what's stripped down about that?

why sti over evo?
it's easier to make more power with the evo, the evo handles better, and (personally) i like the looks better.

the sti isn't stripped?
they don't even come with a stereo, it's a dealer installed option...

#13 ·
you're all wrong...teh sexiest car on the market today...the INFINITI G35 SPORT COUPE IN BLACK!!!! no others can compare...ite the best balance of power, looks, handling, interior amenities, and its a balanced car in general, not too much power, but not underpowered...ect, G35 baby

#14 ·
My top 5 choices would, in no particular order, be...

1. 5th gen Prelude w/18' RH Evo C5's, Custom Diamond White paintjob (bows to Day177017), Greddy Evo2, Jackson Racing Supercharger, WW Rs kit, JDM Fogs, AEM Big Brake Kit, S2000 wheel, custom leather, ps2 w/7 inch LCD, Aluminum dash kit, HID, cams and pulleys. I'd still have enough for a 4th gen vtec as a future project car or complete a suspension setup.
-Why? Style and performance. JRSC is more reliable as a daily driver than a turbo. Enough mods to give a healthy boost in performance and have plenty of style and luxury for every day driving.

2 Early 90's NSX. Early NSX's most of the time have very low mileage and are kept in great shape. They can be had for 20-30k.
-Why? Its an NSX! The performance is there right out of the box. with approx 5-10k left I'd probably work on appearance. Aluminum wing, ground effects, lighter wheels, and maybe a bit of customization of the interior to make it more flashy.

3. RSX Type S- w/13k in mods. Supercharger, rims, body kit, i/h/e, etc etc.
-Why? Great car made better with tons of customization.

4 S2000- Probably one of the most overpriced cars on the marketplace. Lets face it. This thing has the look and great performance, but not 32k worth of performance. Still a very attractive car that has chops. Hopefully Honda's deciscion to bump the price from high 20's to low 30's doesn't doom the future of this car...
-Why? I love Honda. I love performance. Cept for the NSX, this is it.

5. Tie Mitsu Lancer Evo/ Mazda RX8. Evo, Car of the year according to....well most magazines. Aggressive styling and aggressive performance. One of few cars track ready right off the lot. RX-8, basically an overpriced RSX. Though manufacturers are totally unrelated these cars just seem like long lost siblings to me. A bit unsure of the exterior of the RX-8 at first, its grown on me. ALOT. optional HID, standard RH wheels, 200-230 hp, a 4 door that looks like a 2 door! Other than being overpriced for the given performance this car is kick ass.

Honerable mention to the 350Z, which I still can't believe I didn't choose for my top 5, and the Accord coupe EX 6spd.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#15 ·
G35 coupe, 7th gen. Accord coupe V6, STI, RSX or wait for the MAYBE civic type r. I think that's pretty much it for me.

#16 ·
street_ruler said:
you're all wrong...teh sexiest car on the market today...the INFINITI G35 SPORT COUPE IN BLACK!!!! no others can compare...ite the best balance of power, looks, handling, interior amenities, and its a balanced car in general, not too much power, but not underpowered...ect, G35 baby
And less horsepower than the platform that its based on....Import luxury lines totally suck. You often get less performance, for more $$$. Buy theZ and custom build the luxury you want. *Or* turbo/supercharge your stock Z. Unless of course your only looking at street cred. That would be a whole other story.

-hp5r, who is reminded of another rip off... 25-26k 240hp 6spd Accord vs 200hp 26k+ *cough*Acura*cough*TSX*cough*

#17 ·
i totally agree with flylwsi.

evo is my choice, no questions asked.

with the money left over, big turbo with i/h/e and springs; possibly new wheels (because i think the stockies aren't very good looking)

then a months work and BAM! bigger intercooler.

#23 ·
Hprelude5R said:
street_ruler said:
And less horsepower than the platform that its based on....Import luxury lines totally suck. You often get less performance, for more $$$. Buy theZ and custom build the luxury you want. *Or* turbo/supercharge your stock Z. Unless of course your only looking at street cred. That would be a whole other story.
the performance is similar. car and driver tested a G35 that out accelerated the 350Z.

evo definately. top gear, the british car twits tested a evo VII (it was the 280hp, higher performance model) but it tested faster than a murcielago (sp?) around the test track. not bad. and it has a warranty.

#24 ·
BlueLudeDude said:
z06 or s2000
Z06 Those cost 50k!! heh
A new 2004 Pontiac GTO This is my dream car.

The 2004 GTO starts at $32,495 * MSRP. Click here for more info.

All features and specifications listed below come standard on the 2004 GTO (unless otherwise specified)

Key Power and Performance Features:
• All-aluminum 5.7 Gen III LS1 V8 engine
• Rear-wheel drive with 55/45 weight distribution
• Dual exhaust with chrome dual tips
• Front/rear disc brakes with four-channel ABS
• Power-assisted variable ratio rack-and-pinion steering
• Fully independent rear suspension
• Bosch 3-channel traction control
• 17x8" alloy wheels
• P245/45 ZR17 W-rated performance tires

Key Interior Features:
• Programmable Driver Information Center
• 8-way power driver and front passenger seat adjuster
• 2+2 all-leather sport bucket seats
• Automatic rear seat access
• Sports gauge cluster
• Blaupunkt 200-watt audio system with 10 speakers and 6-CD in-dash disc changer
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel with radio controls

Estimated Fuel Economy in MPG**

City Highway

5.7 Liter Automatic 16 21

5.7 Liter Manual 17 29

Standard Capacities
Fuel tank (gal. approx.) 18
Seating 4

#25 ·
not in any order

s2000
2004 GTO (saw one guy is already on the drift circut with it)
Integra Type R Vortec SC plus loads of custom body work to make it unique
1991 CRX with a SC B18c5 under the hood and tricked
5th gen prelude Turbo and built motor
r32 Skyline (can be bought for under 32,000, legalizing on the other hand..)
Older nsx Super charged or turboed
built rx7
TT Dyno Queen Supra
240sx with partially built rb25det

#26 ·
[/quote]

the performance is similar. car and driver tested a G35 that out accelerated the 350Z.

[/quote]

Hmm, that's odd. Speed channel did an entire segment on the car several months back, road test and all. They said the Z outperformed the G35...

-hp5r, both sources seem reliable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.