3rd Gen_ SR Citizen - Page 17 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #401
Andrew
I am Prelude

Andrew has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month
Muffler fell off on the highway.

To my surprise, I found one at the junkyard two days later!

On the same car, I found a clock with cover...

...and a driver side fog lens in much better condition than what I had.

Keepin' on keepin' on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

instagram: @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I think in '87 the engineers at Honda got the bean counters drunk on sake before having them sign off on the Prelude design.
"W-wait! Why are the shifter cables adjustable? No one is ever going to..."
"A toast to your health!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #402
89lowlude
Lude Addict

89lowlude has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
How were the door moldings? I'd be willing to pay for items and shipping.
89lowlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #403
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lowlude View Post
How were the door moldings? I'd be willing to pay for items and shipping.

Thinking about what my schedule looks like for the next couple weeks, I might not actually be able to get back to the junkyard anytime soon. Sorry! If I get a chance, I'll go - just don't want to disappoint.

Quote:
I think in '87 the engineers at Honda got the bean counters drunk on sake before having them sign off on the Prelude design.
"A toast to your health!

Old 01-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #404
Xclusive1
Getting Comfortable

Xclusive1 is on a distinguished road
Cars looking clean! I cant decide if I like the painted molding look like mustardcats lude or black moldings like yours. I do like the painted mirrors but cant decide on the moldings, I think they look good both ways.

What's up with all the great finds you always come up on at your junkyards? Wish I had your kinda luck. You've managed to find that trunk lid spoiler from the the 88/89 lude (do you still have it btw?)/ arm rest/ clock with cover and always appear to find what your looking for lol.
Xclusive1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #405
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive1 View Post
Cars looking clean! I cant decide if I like the painted molding look like mustardcats lude or black moldings like yours. I do like the painted mirrors but cant decide on the moldings, I think they look good both ways.

What's up with all the great finds you always come up on at your junkyards? Wish I had your kinda luck. You've managed to find that trunk lid spoiler from the the 88/89 lude (do you still have it btw?)/ arm rest/ clock with cover and always appear to find what your looking for lol.
I like painted mirrors on darker-coloured ludes, but white paint has a way of making you look directly at them and I never felt like these mirrors add anything special to the design of the car. It's just a generic rounded shape and doesn't contribute to car's lines. If I had some Ganador or Spoon mirrors, then yeah, I'd go paint-matched for sure. Actually, even the base model manual mirrors contribute more visual interest to a Prelude, but I've gotten spoiled on being able to adjust my passenger side one easily and probably won't downgrade.

As for the moldings, if I could paint them easily, I would, but it's not that simple with the bumper parts being molded in. Definitely looks better though, to camouflage them.

I think my junkyard luck is entirely location-based. There are probably more Preludes per capita in the PNW (including lower mainland of BC) than any other place in the world. California has more Preludes but also way more people. Someone please feel free to challenge me on this... if you have spotted more than 10 different 3rd gen Preludes in the last two months!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #406
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Been slowly working away at this little project... wasn't going to post until finished but I need the motivation to get 'er done!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #407
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

looking forward to seeing how it turns out Andrew! The way your doing it is a lot better then previous attempts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #408
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
It's simple, hey?
Finished the wiring...

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 02-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #409
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Sealed it up, installed it, tapped into the brake light.

It works!

Things I learned:

-A soldering iron that runs on 3 AA batteries is pretty much worthless!
-I resealed a leaky left taillight at the same time as this, and learned that it doesn't come off the car very easily without removing the center garnish first.
-I learned also that you can strip the studs on the center garnish when you use thicker foam for the gaskets and try to compress it for a good fit.
-I did that before resealing the left taillight, which led to much frustration.
-White LEDs behind the red lens end up looking pretty orange - I knew this, but forgot.
-These LEDs had to be wired in parallel to work, which I didn't realize until after I had nicely soldered them in series.

Next time I do this it will be much easier and turn out a lot better!

The good news I learned is you can run at least five 3528 48smd panels in parallel with a brake lamp and not blow a fuse. The other good news is if you wanted to you could fit ten of said panels very nicely in the center section of the garnish - between the two rear fog blanks.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #410
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

yup if you redo in red and cover them with a frosted or sand blasted clear plastic diffuser it should look perfect. The stock gasket material is 4mm I think.

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #411
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Seems like I've been working on my fogs about once a week lately just trying to keep them working and leak-free, so when I found a pair of fog lamp delete plates at the junkyard, I snagged em.

Actually several weeks had passed since I first saw them, couldn't believe they were still there! One of the very few benefits of owning a car with a smaller fanbase. Today a nice older lady asked me if my car was a Celica. She had one, she said, just after they changed away from the pop up headlights.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #412
cudaboy
Elite Member

I got a set of deletes last year I think it was. I would have more and more rear parts of stock fogs if you didn't have to take the bumper off then remove the cover. I have some fogs for mounting in the delete plugs. I think you still can get a set on ebay if interested. They are oval housing but round projector lens. I got one set in blue. I am going to mount one above the muffler for added backup light that I will have a switch for that I can turn off. I might end up running led bulb in it. Due to the way the bulbs sit in these a projector led will not work unfortunately. Or I am pretty sure they won't. I will look into it in the future.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #413
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I thought fog deletes were rare, but now that I'm paying attention I'm seeing several pop up on instagram. Maybe they're only rare in Canada. Brewbrud's car has the only other ones I've seen in person. The junkyard car I pulled mine from had cut fog light wiring hiding behind the bumper.

I currently have no plans to mount aftermarket fogs, thanks though!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #414
89lowlude
Lude Addict

89lowlude has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
Wanna sell the drives side fog you got at the junkyard? Or are you planning to install them again at some point?
89lowlude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #415
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I think I'll hang onto it for now, sorry. Strong possibility of reinstalling at some point.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #416
Lazerus
Getting Comfortable

Lazerus is on a distinguished road
Trucklights

I have a set of the round truck lights on my Miata. I just close the lights for a few min if they snow over. And get in the habit of shutting them off any time I can. The underhood heat is enough to clear them here in Onterrible. A couple Miata guys have added a hole and duct to direct underhood heat from the rad fan to the lights. I can't remember what the honda light set up looked like but it should be an option.

In side by side highway comparison with a projector equipped Benz we decided the Truck lights were the better light for real driving. Parked standing outside the car his looked better, from the drivers seats mine were better.

My lude doesn't have any lights left to worry about. Tho I'm seriously tempted to add a temp one of some kind for loading it on the trailer at the end of the night.

Nice to see how far the white car has come since I bought the blue one Andrew.
I'll be posting an update on your blue one soon.
Lazerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #417
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
I have a set of the round truck lights on my Miata. I just close the lights for a few min if they snow over. And get in the habit of shutting them off any time I can. The underhood heat is enough to clear them here in Onterrible. A couple Miata guys have added a hole and duct to direct underhood heat from the rad fan to the lights. I can't remember what the honda light set up looked like but it should be an option.

In side by side highway comparison with a projector equipped Benz we decided the Truck lights were the better light for real driving. Parked standing outside the car his looked better, from the drivers seats mine were better.

My lude doesn't have any lights left to worry about. Tho I'm seriously tempted to add a temp one of some kind for loading it on the trailer at the end of the night.

Nice to see how far the white car has come since I bought the blue one Andrew.
I'll be posting an update on your blue one soon.
No way, I'm surprised it lasted more than a season! That's awesome!

I tried shutting the lights to melt the snow, but it didn't work quickly enough for me... but that was a really unusual snowy winter we just had. Not too worried about it for coming years.

Looking forward to seeing what you've done with the formerly blue car.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:33 AM   #418
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
An unfortunate update...

Got backed into by a pickup truck while parked.

I'm sure it will be a write off, but the insurance payout will determine what happens next.

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #419
MustardCat
Memento Mori

MustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the Internet

If you cut this section out of another car it should be able to be welded in:

It has 3 hard edges to work with so the only real tricky part would be blending it in at the rear.

I don't know how it works in Canada but if insurance totals it does it have to be on a "Salvage" title if you keep it?
MustardCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #420
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardCat View Post
If you cut this section out of another car it should be able to be welded in:

It has 3 hard edges to work with so the only real tricky part would be blending it in at the rear.

I don't know how it works in Canada but if insurance totals it does it have to be on a "Salvage" title if you keep it?
Yes it would be salvage title. I'd have to get an inspection for it to be street legal again. If a shop will do it for what ICBC (our insurance monopoly) gives me, that would be a good way to go. Then I just have to do whatever else it takes to get the car to pass inspection.

Otherwise, my other options are:
-Do a little sanding and ghetto paint match the spots where paint cracked, drive it as is. This would be NO fun, but we want to buy a house.
-Pick up another lude. The obvious choice, but finding a good one is a hassle and I'd end up spending at least a little out of pocket.
-I could sell everything, try to break the addiction

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #421
cudaboy
Elite Member

Wow that sucks andrew! I see it was late january when you posted that white lude in the junkyard. If it is still there and they will let you do it a $200 cordless dewalt reciprocating saw could probably get it loose. I used one on my suspension stuff recently. If you do I break or remove the 1/4 window on it and cut half way up on it and go all the way to back of the 1/4.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #422
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Run_Away will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Nooooooo!

It's definitely fixable, just a matter of what you can convince your insurance it's worth. Also parts availability, although in your area you might be okay.
Do you still have the gold 4ws parts car? I hope you hang onto this car one way or another. Sorry to hear.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #423
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy View Post
Wow that sucks andrew! I see it was late january when you posted that white lude in the junkyard. If it is still there and they will let you do it a $200 cordless dewalt reciprocating saw could probably get it loose. I used one on my suspension stuff recently. If you do I break or remove the 1/4 window on it and cut half way up on it and go all the way to back of the 1/4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_Away View Post
Nooooooo!

It's definitely fixable, just a matter of what you can convince your insurance it's worth. Also parts availability, although in your area you might be okay.
Do you still have the gold 4ws parts car? I hope you hang onto this car one way or another. Sorry to hear.
I can find a quarter panel easily enough, whether from the parts car which I do still have (though it's pretty rusty) or junkyard.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how the process works, since I've never had any experience with this. The appraisal office is only a ten minute drive from my place, but if the vehicle gets a salvage title, I don't think it's legal to drive until it's rebuilt. So, may have to get it towed or something.

Needless to say, in a worst case scenario where the shell ends up in a junkyard, this collection of parts is NOT going to scrap!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #424
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Gathered about 30 receipts for parts. Appraisal is on Wednesday, wish me luck!

Quote:
"A toast to your health!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #425
cudaboy
Elite Member

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement