22mm Rear Sway Bar / Anti-roll bar Group Buy (3rd Gen) - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
MustardCat
Memento Mori

MustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the Internet

Arrow 22mm Rear Sway Bar / Anti-roll bar Group Buy (3rd Gen)

CLOSED

22mm Rear Sway Bar / Anti-roll Bar Group Buy

What does a sway bar (anti-roll bar) do? Basic explanation:
An anti-roll bar connects one side of the suspension to the other side, it is essentially a spring.
Imagine you are turning right, the left suspension compresses and the right suspension droops (causing the chassis to lean to the left, aka. body roll). With an anti-roll bar installed when the right suspension begins to droop the bar tries to pull the left suspension down at the same time, this reduces body roll. Or another way to look at it is that as one side of the suspension compresses the anti-roll bar causes the other side to compress as well.

The larger the diameter (stiffer) the anti-roll bar is the more "locked" each side of the suspension is to the other and the less body roll at that end of the car. On a front wheel drive car adding a stiffer rear bar will generally reduce understeer.

Here is how this 22mm bar compares to stock and Whiteline.
Bar torsional stiffness:
Stock 17mm: 91 (Lbs/In)
Whiteline 20mm: 175 (Lbs/In)
MustardCat 22mm: 268 (Lbs/In)

$$$
Estimated group buy pricing, shipping not included:
  • 5 bars = $380 each
  • 6 bars = $367 each
  • 7 bars = $357 each
  • 8 bars = $355 each
  • 9 bars = $352 each
  • 10 bars = $349 each
You cover the Paypal fees.

Shipping price estimates to give you an idea of cost to different areas.
Shipping is from Washington State via USPS:
  • To California 90210: $55 shipped with tracking and $450 insurance.
  • To Texas 73301: $64 shipped with tracking and $450 insurance.
  • To Florida 32116: $74 shipped with tracking and $450 insurance.
  • To Quebec, Canada H3R1K2: $110 shipped with $450 insurance.
  • To Germany: $110 shipped with $450 insurance.
  • To UK: $120 shipped, no insurance available.
  • To Australia: $150 shipped with $450 insurance.
(FYI Australia requires a custom box no longer than 42", this will be a VERY tight fit and it is possible the finish on the anti-roll bar arms could be damaged during shipping.)

Local pick up in the North Seattle area is also possible.

This sway bar/anti-roll bar kit will include:
  • 7/8" (22.2mm) 4130 Chromoly anti-roll bar with arms made of mild steel.
  • Energy Suspension 9.5158R/G greasable anti-roll bar bushings.
  • New chassis brackets to mount the bar to the car. Made of 1/8" and 3/16" mild steel.
  • 8 New JIS 10.9 spec bolts to mount the brackets to the chassis and the bar bushings to the brackets.
Additional options:

Fitting info and disclaimer:
This bar does require trimming a small portion of the plastic fuel pipe splash guard as well as part of an exhaust bracket (if you are using the OE exhaust). I can't guarantee fit on any aftermarket exhaust because some places do crazy routing, however I can say it fits around my own 3" exhaust fine.

Some have asked about chassis tear though, like what can happen with Civics using thicker bars. All I can say about this is that I have not experienced or seen any sign of it happening on either of my Preludes that are running this anti-roll bar. I can't guarantee this for your car because every car is unique. If your car is rusted near the anti-roll bar mounts it might be possible for them to rip out, if this is the case I could make you some weld in reinforcement plates for this area.

Like all performance aftermarket parts this anti-roll bar is intended for off-road use only. The sole purpose of this anti-roll bar is to alter the way the car handles. You need to take proper care after installing it and not immediately try pushing the handling limits, the car will handle differently. If you use it on a street car and then drift off a mountain... well that is on you.

Payment schedule:
I'm thinking I want to break the total payment into 3 stages, which should be more manageable for people and allow continuous progress to be made (all prices are estimates):
  • Stage 1: This payment will cover all the raw materials, bolts, and bushings, and allow me to fabricate the bars and mounts. (Should be between $100-150 depending on total buyers and options.)
  • Stage 2: This payment covers the cost of post-fabrication heat treatment for the bars. It also covers the cost of powder coating the bars and mounts. (Between $60-110 depending on total buyers.)
  • Stage 3: Payment for consumables, labor, misc, and shipping. (~$150-250, depending on previous costs, total buyers, and cost to ship to your location.)

We will need at least 5 buyers. This list is for serious buyers only. Please reply if you are in.

Group Buy Members:
1. luzer - Paid stage 1
2. 3Gen Power - Paid stage 1
3. boblasek - Paid stage 1
4. Run Away - Paid stage 1
5. Dead End - Paid stage 1
6. MaudDib21
7. jdm3genprelude
8. frijoles
9. MustardCat
10. MustardCat

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Last edited by MustardCat; 04-02-2017 at 07:10 PM.
MustardCat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #2
frijoles
Elite Member

frijoles will become famous soon enoughfrijoles will become famous soon enough

I am definitely interested. Will be a bit before I can put down money, but I am a yes.

Accord Wagon build thread:

frijoles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

What the hell, count me in Dave. I'm hoping that everyone who showed serious interest in the other thread signs up here.

Group Buy Members:
1. luzer

Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
3Gen Power
Getting Comfortable

3Gen Power is on a distinguished road
Yep!

EDIT: I do have the endlinks installed already. I will do the +30 for the SuperPro Bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzer View Post
What the hell, count me in Dave. I'm hoping that everyone who showed serious interest in the other thread signs up here.

Group Buy Members:
1. luzer
2. 3Gen Power

Last edited by 3Gen Power; 03-19-2017 at 11:21 AM.
3Gen Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
boblasek
Herp Derp Lerp

boblasek is on a distinguished road

You know I'm in for one. I already have the end links but I would like those other SuperPro Bushing Kit added as well.

boblasek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
MustardCat
Memento Mori

MustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the InternetMustardCat is the King of the Internet

Added!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #7
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Run_Away will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Group Buy Members:
1. luzer
2. 3Gen Power
3. boblasek
4. Run Away
Old 03-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Dead_End
Elite Member

Dead_End is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Dead_End

I'm in add me
Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
frijoles
Elite Member

Question about this bar. I have seen quite a few sway bars, oem and aftermarket, where the part of the bar that attaches to the end link is solid. Is there any particular reason why this one isn't solid?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
MustardCat
Memento Mori

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why there is a bushing there? It's required because of the style of endlink we use. The link needs to be able to tilt side to side in relation to the sway bar arm.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #11
MaudDib21

MaudDib21 is on a distinguished road
Damn, pricing really came down a bit since I started the original thread!

You can add me to the group buy, I'm in.
MaudDib21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #12
boblasek
Herp Derp Lerp

I do believe he is referring to that bushing

Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
MustardCat
Memento Mori

OK I'm calling this closed. I'm going to cover the cost of making 2 extra bars so everyone will be at the 10 buyer price.

I will be sending PMs to each member soon.

I will keep posting general status updates to this thread.

Last edited by MustardCat; 03-27-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
frijoles
Elite Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardCat View Post
OK I'm calling this closed. I'm going to cover the cost of making 3 extra bars so everyone will be at the 10 buyer price.

I'm definitely going to get one, Duh. I just can't put money down right this moment because I'm moving. But I'm definitely getting one.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardCat View Post
OK I'm calling this closed. I'm going to cover the cost of making 2 extra bars so everyone will be at the 10 buyer price.

Stage 1 payment sent. Lets keep this moving guys.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #16
boblasek
Herp Derp Lerp

When will payment step 2 take place? Have the other not paid yet? I don't want any hold ups because people can't pay

Old 04-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
MustardCat
Memento Mori

I wont be asking for Stage 2 until I am ready to have them heat treated. The list of members in the first post also lists who has paid so far.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
Dead_End
Elite Member

Dead_End is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Dead_End

Stage1 pmt sent
1991 Si ALB (black) - sold to heythisiserik in '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcukwithmeprelude
Be warned though, Preludes can take over your life.

Dead_End is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
luzer
Elite Member

Bump for unpaid buyers.

Group Buy Members:
1. luzer - Paid stage 1
2. 3Gen Power - Paid stage 1
3. boblasek - Paid stage 1
4. Run Away - Paid stage 1
5. Dead End - Paid stage 1
6. MaudDib21
7. jdm3genprelude
8. frijoles
9. MustardCat
10. MustardCat
Old 04-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
boblasek
Herp Derp Lerp

^^^

Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #21
MustardCat
Memento Mori

I'll be sending out PMs again to the remaining buyers near the end of next week to see what is up. Either way I will be ordering the raw materials the first week of May and moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement