Honda Prelude Forum banner

Alternator removal

17K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  MustardCat 
#1 ·
Can someone point me to something showing how to remove and alternator? i searched and looked in the online manuals but cam up with nothing besides the 90-93 accord alternator threads.

#2 ·
Download the repair manual from the FAQ. You have to loosen the power steering tensioner with a 14 mm wrench and loose the adjuster until you can remove the belt. Then you loosen the bolt at the front of the alternator to remove the belt. To remove the alternator you loosen the 2 bolts on the side. The adjustor for the power steering belt can be accessed through the headlight if you have a really long extensions.

I highly recommend you download the manual.

#3 ·
What you do is on the left side of the alternator on the sidecnext to the headers remove that tensioner bolt with a 10 mm wrench then remove the bolt that come up to the front of the alternator with a 12 mm wrench push the alternator down and take off the belt then on the right side of the alternator behind the power steering pulley there is a 14mm bolt which is the main bolt loosen that until it is blocked by the pulley then take a screw driver and gently hammer the bolt under the pulley until it's free then voilà take out the alternator this is a quick way to do it and I know it works because I've had to do it at least 3 times in autozones parking lot

#5 ·
thanks all, got it off annnnnnnd according to autozone's test machine thingy it fails. BUT NO WORRY! theres a dead cb7 chilling in my back yard with an alternator that just fairly recently had new brushes installed! so the plan is to just use that one.

#6 ·
ok guys i have the accord alternator in the car im almost done with this but i cant get the bottom bolt, i believe its the tensioner bolt, in. anyone have tips on how to do this? and i dropped the two washer somewhere in the engine bay no idea where they went do i need them?

#7 ·
I don't think the ACCORD alternator is threaded where the alternator bolt goes through like the prelude alternator. If this is the case, then you will have to use a longer alternator bolt and nut to secure the alternator.

If you are talking about the adjusting bolt, the best way is to of course have the alternator through bolt loose on top. Then have the adjusting nut almost at the end of the threads on the adjusting bolt and pull the alternator from bottom as far forward as you can. This makes the alternator bolt far more accessible to thread through the adjusting bolt and alternator.

#8 ·
Can someone confirm this fits, 90-93 Honda Accord L4 2.2L engine alternator on the 88-91 Honda Prelude...just need a longer, threaded mounting bolt on the bottom ear and a pulley swap??? Thanks a million, I've tested the 2nd gen Legend alternator upgrade on our cars and it DOES NOT WORK, save you guys your time and money ;)

#9 ·
The F series and H series alternators are the same form factor as ours, so it should fit. I think that alternator has the correct pulley but will still need that new bottom bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.