Honda Prelude Forum banner

New Civic Si?

6K views 81 replies 34 participants last post by  poet 
#1 ·
Just been wondering about the new Civic Si lately b/c my friend might be getting one. Does it do anything good? Like the Prelude is great on the track like auto-x. I know the new Si isnt anything thats going to smoke you. But is there anything special about them to separate them from the normal car?

#4 ·
Yeah. I know that. The K20 responds much better to simple bolt ons than a h22 and its got a 6spd rather than the 5spd preludes came with. Gotcha.

But stock for stock...what makes it stand out. Is it a good car for auto-x? Will it out perform a prelude on that platform when stock for stock? I know its a little faster in a straight line...but what about on the twisties?

#8 ·
I would think it would be good for auto-x because of its factory LSD :love:

#82 ·
Agreed, plus you can't beat a fun reliable car that's (fairly) easy on brakes and tires. i think it would preform very well in a stock class, not sure what class it falls into though, but I'm sure it would be competitive.

#16 ·
its basically an RSX-S with slightly less power and LSD.
My bolt on 4th gen hang with SIs no problem.
yes, the K20 LOVES bolt ons, and with KPro they can be beasts.
style wise, i'd take an RSX any day over an SI. the sedan is nice though but then i'd go for the Canadian exclusive CSX-S, it's got euro spec tailights and stuff.

#21 ·
I've heard that the coupe has a third gear "pop", the car pops out of 3rd into neutral about instantaneously upon shifting into third.

yea they had tat problems on the 06-07 SI's on coupes and 4 doors
they said they fixed them for the 09's but who knows. on the topic of new SI's
i think the new front bumper grill look on the 09's are ugly

#22 ·
My buddy has a silver 07 Si coupe. I wouldn't call it fast by any stretch. About even with my Prelude I guess. He has had to take to the dealer at least 5 times for various things. The ECU had to be reflashed a few times too. It ran like rubbish until it was warmed up and even with all the reflashes it still does. Honda says it's a common issue. Door trim had to be replaced.

The steering wheel is hideous, imo.

#23 ·
I :love: the Si!
My friend has an 07 sedan...VERY fun car to drive.
His does have the 3rd gear problems...grinds sometimes, pops out sometimes...just gotta show it some love :razz:

Seems like 6spd transmissions always have issues.
(guess its that way with anything...everyone wants more stuff in smaller packaging. The more you put in and the smaller the package, the more problems...then everyone gets pissed off :lol: )

Dicorp...The CSX has HIDs and no VSA :twisted: I want one. I like the front end on them a little better than the USDM civic.
And its not "basically" and RSX... different interior, LSD, little different engine, little different suspension, throttle by wire (still can't use Kpro with the new Si)
if you wanna go there, the RSX is "basically" an EP3 (last gen Si) :laugh:

#24 ·
My roommate almost bought a Black 4dr Si. That is until we test drove a Mazdaspeed3, kinda killed the Si in my opinion. The Si was fun to drive though, looked ok, felt great. I just hated the dash, especially the speedo.

#25 ·
does this car burn oil?
do the windows roll up and down fast or slow?
does the si offer hid option
does the mazda3speed offer hids?
i'd def take the mazda speed 3 over a si anyday. more room, turbo, better looks, has been rated number one within it's class.

civic si is ugly imo. shit looks like a jellybean.

#26 ·
i wouldnt say its really ugly, but it could be way better. it needs more angles in it, and a longer hood and trunk and a lower roofline

I have never been a fan of "bubbly" cars with short hoods, but i love hondas. So i got a prelude :D

#27 ·
What separates the Si from the normal "Civic"?

Factory LSD, better motor, different interior, and 6-speed manual transmission.

It should be a decent performer right out of the box. And to top it off it probably already has more aftermarket support than the Prelude ever did.

I would say jump on it if he's getting a good deal. Or buy a Prelude for 6-9k and spend the difference on making it mint and modding it out. ;-)

#29 ·
What separates the Si from the normal "Civic"?

Factory LSD, better motor, different interior, and 6-speed manual transmission.

It should be a decent performer right out of the box. And to top it off it probably already has more aftermarket support than the Prelude ever did.

I would say jump on it if he's getting a good deal. Or buy a Prelude for 6-9k and spend the difference on making it mint and modding it out. ;-)
I'm not sure how it is in the USA, but getting a good deal at Honda Canada is damn near impossible. They are not flexible whatsoever on the price, sure as hell not on a limited edition trim such as the SI.

Probably the best piece of advice yet....thats should be a substantial amount of money saved for mods and goodies.

#32 ·
Wow, both of those cars look like a Jellybean, the Civic Si is less jellybean but more of a dung beetle.

#42 ·
As much as I like how the car looks and the fact that its turbo...its still a Mazda...

I'll take the much faster jellybean over the much slower dung beetle.
I highly doubt its THAT much faster.

Reliability>Mazda anything...

#35 ·
i have a 08' si coupe. havn't tracked it yet, but am planning to get some decent rims/rubber and autocross it next year. right now i have a strup race header, vibrant catback, shortshifter and a injen SRI. compared to a prelude its:
6spd, LSD, K20, 8k Redline, engine revs smoother, and the back seat is a bit bigger. about the same as a 5th, way bigger then a 4th. i might be planning a comptech supercharger in the spring though. gas mileage is better then a prelude too.

supposedly the 3rd gear issue is fixed in the 08+ models. i havn't had problems really. maybe popped out 2-3 times and grinded 2nd a few times at redline. might have been driver error though. :p if you buy a used 06 or 07 there is a TSB out for the tranny. so honda should cover it as long as its still in warrenty and they can replicate the problem. RSX 6spds had the same 3rd gear issue.

#37 ·
The new Si definitely offers more performance bits than the old 4g/5g Prelude.

It's also still massively outgunned by pretty much all of it's competitors.

At a dyno day back when it was warmer, a Speed 3 with I/reflash was putting down 70 more hp than me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.