01' SH crank bolt - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
cityjack
Lude Dude

cityjack is on a distinguished road
01' SH crank bolt

Morning all,

About to do a timing belt and balance belt and seals this weekend. Just looking over Jludes list of tasks in the FAQ's. He mentions to have the crank bolt loosened by a shop before beginning. Any reason why I cannot do this myself with my impact or big ass breaker bar at my garage? Is there a particular way to do this? Is it left handed or anything like that?

Thanks

Sid

Last edited by cityjack; 04-18-2017 at 07:34 AM.
cityjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
MommysLittleMonster
Opinionated Bastard

MommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to beholdMommysLittleMonster is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MommysLittleMonster

Prelude of the Month

You'll need a 3/4" drive impact to get it loose- a regular 1/2" drive won't cut it. They're on there TIGHT.

I went out and bought a 3/4" impact from Harbor Freight and was able to get mine loose, but I also have a large compressor and other tools in the shop to use. You won't be able to get it with a breaker bar.

EDIT- let me rephrase that- you won't be able to get it with a breaker bar if you don't have the crank pulley tool to hold it in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 04-20-2017 at 05:52 AM.
MommysLittleMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #3
playludesc
I am Prelude

playludesc is just really niceplayludesc is just really niceplayludesc is just really niceplayludesc is just really nice
I assume the old breaker bar against the floor + tapping the starter trick doesn't work due to CCW rotation on our H's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
playludesc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
bouckarooo
I am Prelude

bouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of light
Using a 40 inch breaker bar and a 24 inch breaker bar and the correct pyuley holder tool, ive never had issues getting these bikts off.

Worst case, lay on ground with two breaker bars,pull on one with hands and push on other with feet, it will go.

Quote:
ban me biotches sissy lude dan hahah
kronicsmoker sh hahaha
suck it biotch
Quote:
If I had to guess, it's because the car is a thrown-together piece of shit.
bouckarooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
bloodSHed
'01 Milano Red - BB615

bloodSHed will become famous soon enough

I've never had issues breaking them loose using a breaker bar with a jack handle (cheater bar) slid over the top. I also use the Powerbuilt Honda Crank Pulley holder with a breaker bar attached to it and wedged against the floor, a 1/2" extension (which I think is around 16" long), and a jack stand to keep the extension level with the bolt.

Btw, if you're going to be using a pulley holder, it more than likely won't fit between the chassis and the crank pulley. You'll have to unbolt the driver side engine mount and lower the engine down a bit.

Build Thread -

AEM - BP Initiatives - Cometic Gasket - Enkei Racing - Hondata
Hybrid Racing - Innovative Mounts - JTC Customs - KAIZENSPEED - Ksport
Mishimoto - NEUSPEED - SpeedFactory - ST Suspensions - Vibrant Performance
bloodSHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
cityjack
Lude Dude

cityjack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodSHed View Post
I've never had issues breaking them loose using a breaker bar with a jack handle (cheater bar) slid over the top. I also use the Powerbuilt Honda Crank Pulley holder with a breaker bar attached to it and wedged against the floor, a 1/2" extension (which I think is around 16" long), and a jack stand to keep the extension level with the bolt.

Btw, if you're going to be using a pulley holder, it more than likely won't fit between the chassis and the crank pulley. You'll have to unbolt the driver side engine mount and lower the engine down a bit.
JESUS, you guys are way too good.

Thanks a ton guys.

Have a great day.

Sid
cityjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
bouckarooo
I am Prelude

bouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of lightbouckarooo is a glorious beacon of light
The power built pulley holder tool i use fits without needing the moubt loosened. Actually, the frame rail is curved in that area to allow the tool to slide in at an angle.

Quote:
ban me biotches sissy lude dan hahah
kronicsmoker sh hahaha
suck it biotch
Quote:
If I had to guess, it's because the car is a thrown-together piece of shit.
bouckarooo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
G-wiz
Lude Dude

G-wiz is on a distinguished road
I have the OTC crank pulley tool and it also fits in without having to undo the mount, but you need to undo it later anyways if your doing the timing belt... and it gives you access to all the seals and such.

For breaking this bolt loose on my jdm engine I ended up having to use a breaker bar and going to ace and getting a 10 foot long piece of steel pipe to slide over the end. I removed my front bumper to get more direct access to the bolt so I could get on it without using extensions then had my wife hold the socket on the bolt head (giggidy) while I jumped on the end of the cheater bar... it finally popped free. I also heated up the pulley around the bolt with a propane torch. I have an ingersol rand 900ft lb breakaway torque impact gun and even when paired with the industrial sized compressor at my work it didn't budge it. Your results may vary though, good luck.

As a side note, on my first engine the bolt came off quite easily with a breaker bar and the end of a jack handle, but the mechanic that did the timing maintenance before was smart and used an anti seize paste on the threads which helped immensely.

Last edited by G-wiz; 04-21-2017 at 11:07 AM.
G-wiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
bloodSHed
'01 Milano Red - BB615

bloodSHed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouckarooo View Post
The power built pulley holder tool i use fits without needing the moubt loosened. Actually, the frame rail is curved in that area to allow the tool to slide in at an angle.
I guess I didn't try hard enough, haha.

Build Thread -

AEM - BP Initiatives - Cometic Gasket - Enkei Racing - Hondata
Hybrid Racing - Innovative Mounts - JTC Customs - KAIZENSPEED - Ksport
Mishimoto - NEUSPEED - SpeedFactory - ST Suspensions - Vibrant Performance
bloodSHed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #10
olddudelude
Lude Addict

olddudelude is on a distinguished road
I made my own holder with a nut from fastenal welded to bar stock. Worked on one with a breaker bar. The next was at a junk yard I tried a half inch milwaukee electric impact. Nope. Long pipe on a breaker bar twisted the extension and still no love. Not sure what they used. Now have a 850ft lb impact for when i do it in my garage. Will need to replace air fittings with something like milton v type to see full potential. They can get stuck.

Buy a new bolt and chase the threads when you change them.

Last edited by olddudelude; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.
olddudelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement