2nd Gen Prelude problems - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
Sixpents

Sixpents is on a distinguished road
2nd Gen Prelude problems

I'd like to start out with Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am new to this form and new to preludes. I have a 1986 prelude si that I payed too much for that has 1777117 miles on it and a large list of issues. The issue that brings me to scouring the internet for answers today is a seemingly harmless stripped bolt that happened to be the worst bolt I could strip for my transmission. The transmission fluid fill bolt is stripped and my local Honda dealer even gave up on it after two hours of trying. (For free I might add. I was in Honda for a open recall on the seat belt buckles which I have had replaced.) I will post pictures of my current issue I am asking questions on. My question on this issue is, is there a way to remove the bolt without drilling into the bolt and causing shavings to flood my transmission forcing me to rebuild it or replace it? And if I do have to replace it I would appreciate any viable replacement suggestions that does not require much fabrication or money to accomplish.(I'm looking for reliable not fast.. although I do like fast..) On a side note there apparently is a leak from the transmission. I will provide more information as necessary. Thank you again for reading this obscure post made by a total noob to this form and Honda preludes.
Sixpents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
Sixpents

Pictures of the engine and the current problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1828_1494737263955.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1827_1494737293475.jpg (88.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1821_1494737346233.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1820_1494737421115.jpg (82.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1815_1494737479109.jpg (96.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
Sixpents

Hopefully this works better here's pics of the car and the engine for those interested. And pictures of the bolt in question.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
knifemind
Lord Magnum

knifemind will become famous soon enough

I would try notching the bolt with a small grinder or even the skinny side of a flat file. go deep, and then use a piece of flat steel as a screwdriver-type lever to get it off. If that fails, drill it. I wouldn't be concerned about metal shavings..as soon as you penetrate, the rush of fluid is very likely to wash the shavings out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
knifemind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
rjudgey
Prelude Aficionado

rjudgey has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
tranny bolt

Looks like some twit used a 12 pointed socket rather than a 6 sided one, don't cut a slot through the middle it will weaken it and just snap off looks like the only real way of getting this off will be to add some penetration fluid maybe try and bit of heat but I think its an ally bolt on these as it's not rusty and way it's easily worn off around the edges, I'd say your more than likely going to have to drill it off, you could try as others say flattening the sides again but I'd say best bet is to get a 12 sided socket a touch smaller and hammer it on so it's nice and tight and then try and get it off. Is there not a special tool for this kinda thing? as others said drilling wouldn't be that big a deal any shavings will drop into oil just drain it asap, any ally that did work it's way in wouldn't cause that much damage anyway as it's so soft it will just add itself to the surface of the gears like bearing material.

Had a quick look see if you can get something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/pro...FQqNGwodyQ8Jvg
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

cygnus x-1 will become famous soon enough
The filler plug on mine is steel and I would be surprised if yours wasn't as well. But I guess anything is possible.

If this were my car I would find a nut large enough (so pretty big) to fit over the stripped out post, and weld it on. Then you can use a big wrench or socket on the nut and that should hopefully crack it loose.

Another method that would probably work (but is much slower) is to grind/cut off the flange of the filler cap. Without the flange there is no force pulling out on the threads to keep the cap tight. It should in theory thread all the way in or out (like a set screw). This assumes the threads themselves aren't galled up.

C|
cygnus x-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Sixpents

Thank you for your replies and sorry for not getting back on sooner I did a little asking around my local city to see all possible avenues and I should have mentioned this earlier but methods that have been tried already by Honda is penetrating fluid, heat and an air chisel.

Someone gave me the bright idea of welding a socket to it but is dangerously close to the possibility of welding the bolt to the transmission and I got an idea of hammering a socket to it and trying it that way. But they didn't give me a specific type of socket to use. (Thank you rjudgey)

(I didn't know there was different types, noob question is a set of 6 sided metric socket set all I will need to take apart most parts on 80-90s hondas?)

I will be trying the hammer and 12 sided socket method first as it's the easiest cheapest and most available option for me to achieve myself.

The drilling the bolt is an option I don't want to take because it isn't the drain and I don't know much about it but I'm almost certain that fluid won't drain from the intake plug. But even if I'm wrong I will take that chance last if I can.

As for the idea of welding this will be my second option. I managed to test to see if my plug was weldable and it is magnetic thankfully. So it's most likely a steel like yours, cygnus x-1, so I will be attempting this with a large bolt like you suggested if the hammer method doesn't work. I believe this will work only reason I don't try it first is I don't have availability to welding tools or have the experience myself but I do know some welders. Which will cost me but I'm willing to do that over replacing a transmission.

I was consented with the idea of using a socket because I'd have to weld the socket end to the guard on the bolt which would run the risk of welding the bolt and the transmission housing together. A large bolt doesn't have to get close to that part to get proper fitting and torque to the bolt to crack it without braking the end off.

I don't know the condition of the threads but I'm praying they aren't the issue. I let you know how that part turns out.

On the same topic but same question. Will a bolt from a 89 prelude fit perfectly in its place assuming the threads are ok?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpents View Post
(I didn't know there was different types, noob question is a set of 6 sided metric socket set all I will need to take apart most parts on 80-90s hondas?)

Generally it's better to use 6 sided sockets. 12 sided sockets have a tendency to round over 6 sided heads and should only be used for 12 sided heads.

There are only a few sizes needed for old Hondas; 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, and 17 covers the vast majority of fasteners. The axle nuts are larger but I don't remember the exact size (27 I think).

Quote:
The drilling the bolt is an option I don't want to take because it isn't the drain and I don't know much about it but I'm almost certain that fluid won't drain from the intake plug. But even if I'm wrong I will take that chance last if I can.
That would be a last resort.

Quote:
I was consented with the idea of using a socket because I'd have to weld the socket end to the guard on the bolt which would run the risk of welding the bolt and the transmission housing together.
If the bolt is steel it won't weld to the transmission housing. The housing is aluminum and aluminum won't weld to steel.

If the air chisel method didn't work I highly doubt hammering on a socket will work either. It's worth a shot but I wouldn't put much hope on it. I really think cutting off the flange is the best option if you don't have welding gear available.

Quote:
On the same topic but same question. Will a bolt from a 89 prelude fit perfectly in its place assuming the threads are ok?
It should yeah. But those plugs were used on other Honda stuff and aren't too hard to find.

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-92800-2.../dp/B00AJTVWIQ

Your local dealer might even have them.

C|
Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Sixpents

Thank you for the reply. I will try the socket idea but I agree it met not be of much help. Especially if I don't have a breaker bar or an impact drive.. but ultimately welding is the most viable option for getting it done quickly. If it fails im going for the flange method.

I have awesome news! I managed to find a pull and pay in my local area that has a 1987 prelude in red. I went there expecting to pull from a 3rd gen and when I arrived to it I couldn't believe my eyes.. I actually had found a 1986 2nd gen (or a early 87) and it had a lot of working parts on it I needed! I'm going there as much as I can to rip it apart with care to get as much as I can get! Unfortunately it's only down side is that it is an automatic and does not have the one drain plug I need however they have a list of other hondas available including an 89 civic! If I don't find the bolt there I'm just going to go for buying it on amazon as you suggested earlier.

my fuel pump on my prelude is dieing and I don't believe the evap system is working correctly either. And for this red one it doesn't look like the parts on it are too worn out. Is there any good guid videos or tips you may have in your brain to help me figure out how to not mess it up?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
cygnus x-1
I am Prelude

Quote:
my fuel pump on my prelude is dieing and I don't believe the evap system is working correctly either. And for this red one it doesn't look like the parts on it are too worn out. Is there any good guid videos or tips you may have in your brain to help me figure out how to not mess it up?
The factory service manual has just about everything you need.

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Svc...ull_Manual.pdf

C|
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
rjudgey
Prelude Aficionado

rjudgey has disabled reputation

Prelude of the Month
Gearbox filler bolt

You could drain the fluid and fill via the breather pipe, it would take a while as it's very tiny diameter 5mm. But it's an option just make sure you only put in the specified amount, it won't matter if it's a little over filled (but don't go mad!) if it is that much overfilled it will just leak out the diff seal or the vent tube you put it down into.

The 89 civic gearbox will probably be very similar so I'd be surprised if it was different size.

The 12 sided smaller sock whacked on with big hammer has worked for me on stubborn bolts, but yours is really rounded off badly but it's worth a try for the price of a socket, just don't buy a cheap 12 sided socket as it may split rather than cutting into the stripped head. Impact or high quality chrome moly socket only here I'm afraid.

6 sided socket set of the sizes mentioned above is ideal, Jap steel especially once its aged and had heat and cold put through it for many years is really soft. I don't use anything else and I think we've all on here learned that rather quickly after a few stubborn nuts and bolts lol!
Advertisement