Honda Prelude Forum banner

Benny's UKDM BA2 Prelude - Project Shakotan.

49K views 319 replies 35 participants last post by  cboutilier 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm Benny and I've just taken ownership of one of my favourite Honda's so far!

Give you an idea of my Previous Honda's Here's my DC2 (USDM Style)

And my most recently completed and Mag featured HellaFlush CRX del sol

Now onto the good stuff!

1987 BA2 Mk2 Prelude 2.0i-16

One of the last Mk2's made it has a non-VTEC B20 engine, Cool as fark factory single wiper, Shagpile carpets, SUPER comfy seats, optional amazing squidgy spoiler and . . . . . FLIPPY LIGHTS!!!!! Haha

Actually LOVE this car already. It drives like new, no really, it does.

54K on the clocks and it's pretty much the definition of immaculate.

Plans are:

To lower ASAP

Source an HKS Windmaster exhaust

Find some temporary track wheels

Source some old skool Deep dish SSR wheels 15x8 ET's in the minus's

Then get them to fit lol

Time for some pics!

Retro wheels!

Single wiper! + weird bonnet spoiler thing

LOOOOVE the spoiler

Interior is IMMACULATE

Woot! :D

My questions to you lovely people are:

Will 3G suspension fit?

As BC Racing make a Coilover Kit for the 3G and not the 2G.

How can I avoid the UCA Fouling the body without cutting the struts up?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#69 ·
suspension

Don't forget to sort out the camber arms, and also while you have it all apart, I'd highly recommend you speak to superflex and order the 3g prelude front lower arm bushes and tie rod bushes as well as upper arm bushes. Not that pricey and has them in stock normally should be able to get them for the weekend. Will keep it really tight then!!

#70 ·
Don't forget to sort out the camber arms, and also while you have it all apart, I'd highly recommend you speak to superflex and order the 3g prelude front lower arm bushes and tie rod bushes as well as upper arm bushes. Not that pricey and has them in stock normally should be able to get them for the weekend. Will keep it really tight then!!
'Sort out' Camber arms? Are adjustable ones available?

So 3G arms and rods are the same?

Have you got any part numbers? Cheers :)

#72 ·
poly bushes

The front suspension should all fit, the lower fork bush, the inner lower arm bush, the tie rod bushes for front subframe, the upper camber arm bushes.

The camber is adjustable on the front but you can make the slots in the arms longer to increase camber by up to -4 degree's all you need is a dremel and a carbide cutter and a couple of grinding stones to finish it off and also take a little bit off the end of the arm so it can push out onto the ball joint without catching the casting on it.

#73 ·
poly bushes

here are the part numbers that I used and have fitted onto one of mine.

http://www.superflex.co.uk

SPF-2132K 3rd Gen lude
SPF-1767 3rd Gen lude and ED chassis Civic
SPF 2131K 3rd Gen lude
SF192-2061KSS Not 100% sure if this particular one will fit the upper front arms but from other's research other makes have, they seem to be in two pieces where as these aren't they can't be too far off and I recon you could use them even if you had to cut them in half. But to be far the stock ones are reasonably solid even after 30 years! lol!

I've measured and checked all of these with the superflex chap and I've fitted the SPF-1767 to mine without any issues. I think you could also use these on the front tie rod arms as well SF192-2129K

The codes I've got don't have the SF192 not sure that that is suppose to mean but the last 4 digits all correspond I have a feeling that they may be made by an Australian company and the moulds are all the same as well as the part numbers they use.

#74 ·
#76 ·
ha ha.. that's questions we've answered so many times it's not even hard anymore..

and for your lude.. anything.

#77 ·
:) Thanks dude!

I fitted the fronts this evening, I'm a bit confused about the top hat situation so I'm going to have a play and I'm not actually sure they are gonna get me as low as I need to be. Some mods are going to be needed I think! I know the top arm is going to hit the strut tower

Oh and I've ordered some new wheels!

SSR Mk1's Just till I find a set of SICK Mk2's.

6.5J ET18 But with 25mm adapters they'll be ET-7 HAHA!

They'll be sent straight off to my polisher and will come back gleeeeeeaming!

If anyone has 4x100 to 4x114.3 adapters they want to sell me then that'd be great!

#82 ·
Yea the standard ones but I'm using the coilover top hats too at the front so it's going to be lower soon as I have time to fanny with the setup some more.

I'm going to have the tophats in the internal side of the body using threaded stud so I can get more shock travel, this will be after it's MOT test.

I'm having the sills welded up in a few weeks as I jacked it up the other day and the jacking point completely ripped out. Someone had done a terrible job on repairing the sills.

So I'm getting all the crap cut out and 2mm plate welded everywhere and 4mm plate for the jacking points.

wow. Just wow. Beautiful.
Thanks man, I do like that pic!

#83 ·
New Lip. It's called EZ lip from America. It's a soft foamy rubber that sticks to any existing body work. To make sure I didn't rip it off I glued it on with polyurethane.

Love it. I'm actually going to go about another 20mm Lower at the front soon so it'll see plenty of tarmac, not enough sparks come out at the mo! Sparks are amazing to fend off tailgaiters by the way! LOL!

Oh and check that I've had vintage British pressed plates made. MUCH better than the modern plastic crap.

#84 ·
Kinda funny story. Just got home from school, my girl sitting with me at the computer. I open this thread, and she asked "why don't you look at me like that?!"
So I replied, "cuz you don't look like a 2nd gen with a b20 and a sexy front end!" :dontgetit:
She isn't sitting with me at the moment! Lol.
Let's just say I love the car and the way it's turning out! :)

#86 ·
dude is there any way u can make a mold of the lips u have. im still trying to find some lips for my si. by the way benny did u check out my build inmy link yet i think u will love it .

#96 ·
hey benny, I just finished mine and it looks low, but rides like shit! hahaha, Measuring for the pavement to the tallest point on the front/rear fender arches I'm sitting at 21 7/8 inches/ 22 5/8 inches respectively. The rears feel great, the fronts, not so much. Bouncy as hell. I'm going to raise the fronts up 3/4 of an inch and see how it feels. I did make myself some 2"inch tall top hats for the front. worked out great but goddamn it was a lot of work... Heres the front with full droop...

oh yea and this is a funny picture...

that is at least a 1/2 drive ratchet. wish i could say it was 1/4 inch drive but no matter what, i can't stand the bottoming out. I'm currently either bottoming the shocks out on the body or the upper control arms on the body. either way, its annoying as fuck.

#98 ·
hey benny, I just finished mine and it looks low, but rides like shit! hahaha, Measuring for the pavement to the tallest point on the front/rear fender arches I'm sitting at 21 7/8 inches/ 22 5/8 inches respectively. The rears feel great, the fronts, not so much. Bouncy as hell. I'm going to raise the fronts up 3/4 of an inch and see how it feels. I did make myself some 2"inch tall top hats for the front. worked out great but goddamn it was a lot of work... Heres the front with full droop...

that is at least a 1/2 drive ratchet. wish i could say it was 1/4 inch drive but no matter what, i can't stand the bottoming out. I'm currently either bottoming the shocks out on the body or the upper control arms on the body. either way, its annoying as fuck.
Umm it doesn't look that low it'd be hitting the UCA's mine doesn't hit them! I'm going another 20-30mm lower soon so we shall see!

Can you please please please put up a pic of your front and rear top hat setup. Interested how to get more shock travel. Also what suspension are you on? My eBay coilover sleeves were a shit ride and bounced but my standard shocks were pretty dead n leaky.

I looooove my GAZ coilovers tho SO worth the money. I can ride LOW and retain comfort and it handles so damn well!

Omg @ the lower black vinyl <3 Where'd you get your back flaps from Benny?
Thanks man! And they are 4 Door integra rear flaps, fitment isn't 100% and I painted the white integra writing black but they are better than nothing IMO. Flaps FTW!

#99 ·
shocks

Ryan you have same springs as mine on the damping setting that they're setting on e.g. lowest setting they are bouncy you need to turn the damping up I think mines at 9 clicks or something I just kept turning till it stopped bouncing basically!! Not sure if mines as low as yours but I've certainly not run out of shock travel and I'd dare not go any lower than I already am I've already taken a couple of big hits to the subframe from a country lane with underlating surface and some nasty speed humps!! If anything I need to look at going lower at the back!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.