..::: 5th Gen Newbie - Q&A Thread :::.. (New Members, PLEASE CLICK HERE) - Page 201 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #5001
eazygainz16

eazygainz16 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys so I just bought an 2001 Honda prelude hh22a4, and I have one major problem. It's semi auto. Or auto basically.. I know right your thinking like, "why the hell did you buy an automatic??!" (Well it's my first car) and my transmission is shit, I can't drive it on D have to drive it in semiauto but it wouldn't shift, my 2nd to 4th gear doesn't work. Every time I try and shift it will stay on neutral but my reverse and 1st is still still works tho.Is there anyway for me to like fix this problem? I'm also planning to convert it in manual. But don't know which exact manual transmission will fit in my hh22a4 engine. Please help!!! Thank you!
eazygainz16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #5002
Wing8806
Faptastic
Curveball Champion, Alien Clones Champion

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazygainz16 View Post
Hey guys so I just bought an 2001 Honda prelude hh22a4, and I have one major problem. It's semi auto. Or auto basically.. I know right your thinking like, "why the hell did you buy an automatic??!" (Well it's my first car) and my transmission is shit, I can't drive it on D have to drive it in semiauto but it wouldn't shift, my 2nd to 4th gear doesn't work. Every time I try and shift it will stay on neutral but my reverse and 1st is still still works tho.Is there anyway for me to like fix this problem? I'm also planning to convert it in manual. But don't know which exact manual transmission will fit in my hh22a4 engine. Please help!!! Thank you!
The transmission is on its last leg. Try cleaning your solenoids, but overall sounds like it's time for a swap. Just a normal Base model (NOT SH) 5 speed transmission and the other misc needed parts for the swap is all you need.
Wing8806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #5003
DawsNos

DawsNos is on a distinguished road
Could anyone give me an estimate on how much it's going to cost me to respray my whole prelude the same color it is because its fading?
DawsNos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #5004
Wing8806
Faptastic

Wing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to allWing8806 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawsNos View Post
Could anyone give me an estimate on how much it's going to cost me to respray my whole prelude the same color it is because its fading?
Depends on the shop and quality of work they produce.

$2,000+
Old 11-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #5005
DawsNos

So I just bought some new speakers for my rear deck and have no idea how to wire them because the stock one is 4 wires and completely different than the new ones which only have 2 wires please help asap
Old 11-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #5006
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
So I just bought some new speakers for my rear deck and have no idea how to wire them because the stock one is 4 wires and completely different than the new ones which only have 2 wires please help asap
It's just a feedback system. You can unplug the harness that's hanging nearest the rear passenger speaker and jump the wires out that way or just cut it off and splice into the wires needed for each speaker. The harness has 4 wires going in, and 8 coming out or something of that sort. I may even have my notes out in my car but won't get to it until later tonight at the least.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #5007
Floundergangbb6

Floundergangbb6 is on a distinguished road
When it rains a pool of water gets in my trunk in the spare tire well and makes its say to the back seats until they're soaking wet, I took out one of the rubber grommets in the bottom Hoping it would drain out butttt it rained again a few days ago and my back seat was wet again how would i go about fixing this
Floundergangbb6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #5008
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundergangbb6 View Post
When it rains a pool of water gets in my trunk in the spare tire well and makes its say to the back seats until they're soaking wet, I took out one of the rubber grommets in the bottom Hoping it would drain out butttt it rained again a few days ago and my back seat was wet again how would i go about fixing this
You either need new tail light gaskets, or have a clogged sunroof drain. There is a writeup and video on how to check the drain tubes.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #5009
z-lude

z-lude is on a distinguished road
Gearbox Question

Hey guys,
I have a 00 Prelude base model. When I got the car it was in excellent shape with the exception of regular things for a car of that age.

After a few weeks of driving I noticed it started to have a harder time getting into gear. Not grinding, sorta just needed a bit more encouragement/force. On top of this, often times when changing between gears it feels very notchy and feels like its getting caught on something mid-throw, almost like there are things between each gear stopping it from fully engaging.

I tried changing the transmission fluid, which worked for a while but the issue persisted after that new fluid feel wore off. It doesn't affect the driving in any way, I just want to know what the cause may be? If it is something easy to fix etc.. just to improve the driving experience. It is tough to really explain it without actually feelings so I apologize if my description is vague.

I'm almost certain there is a thread somewhere about this so if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

Cheers
z-lude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #5010
Wing8806
Faptastic

Inspect the shifter cables for damages. Only other issue could be bad syncros. This is under the assumption your master and slave cylinders are good and allowing the shift fork to move as it should.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #5011
Johnnyc123

Johnnyc123 is on a distinguished road
Ok 3rd time trying to post!!! Cant scroll while typing msg i guess?!? Wtf?? Anyways i have a weird quiet rattle under light accel. Coming from driver side of engine bay...i can only hear it with radio heat off windows closed...is there a common problem with tensioners or belts that i dont know about or where should i start my investigation?
Johnnyc123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #5012
Johnnyc123

Sorry if i sounded pissed(frustrated) on my last post( i was) lol so this rattle only does it on light accel with a load on the engine(in gear and moving) its a ss auto (i know they are made of glass and i plan to do a swap when it breaks down on me) im currently @ 100,000 kms ....any ideas?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #5013
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyc123 View Post
Sorry if i sounded pissed(frustrated) on my last post( i was) lol so this rattle only does it on light accel with a load on the engine(in gear and moving) its a ss auto (i know they are made of glass and i plan to do a swap when it breaks down on me) im currently @ 100,000 kms ....any ideas?

Sounds to be a slight exhaust leak. Or could be some mild belt slip.

Have you checked for anything loose in the bay?
Old 01-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #5014
Johnnyc123

I have had a quick look with the hood open and it running and can't hear it then and everything seems solid...so im pretty sure its only happening when im in motion...if im a little heavier on throttle it seems to go away..(or its inaudible due to louder engine noise) but thats the reason i thought that it might be a tensioner issue? But im no mechanic by any means?x? lol would like to catch it before it gets louder or breaks...its almost a ticky rattle noise ? If that makes sense lol
Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #5015
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyc123 View Post
I have had a quick look with the hood open and it running and can't hear it then and everything seems solid...so im pretty sure its only happening when im in motion...if im a little heavier on throttle it seems to go away..(or its inaudible due to louder engine noise) but thats the reason i thought that it might be a tensioner issue? But im no mechanic by any means?x? lol would like to catch it before it gets louder or breaks...its almost a ticky rattle noise ? If that makes sense lol
How many miles are on the car? The only non visible tensioners are for the timing and balance belts. If it's coming from the timing cover area, I recommend having it checked out asap.

You can remove the alternator and power steering belts and drive around the block to narrow it down - just keep them with you in case the battery dies before you make it back.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #5016
Dominican
True Luder

Dominican is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-lude View Post
Hey guys,
I have a 00 Prelude base model. When I got the car it was in excellent shape with the exception of regular things for a car of that age.

After a few weeks of driving I noticed it started to have a harder time getting into gear. Not grinding, sorta just needed a bit more encouragement/force. On top of this, often times when changing between gears it feels very notchy and feels like its getting caught on something mid-throw, almost like there are things between each gear stopping it from fully engaging.

I tried changing the transmission fluid, which worked for a while but the issue persisted after that new fluid feel wore off. It doesn't affect the driving in any way, I just want to know what the cause may be? If it is something easy to fix etc.. just to improve the driving experience. It is tough to really explain it without actually feelings so I apologize if my description is vague.

I'm almost certain there is a thread somewhere about this so if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

Cheers

Either the clutch springs are starting to wobble out of the clutch (possible), or you need to change your master/slave cylinder (most likely).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Club B-83M member #9
Dominican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #5017
StevenLobo

StevenLobo is on a distinguished road
I'm a new to this prelude car , I have a honda 2000 prelude all white I have lots of problems with it which is 1. Oil leak, 2. Turns to the right if I let go of the steering wheel (not the axle) 3. Passenger door doesnt open from the inside 4. When it rains water goes threw a few drops 5. The trunk only can open from the switch inside 6. Needs a new system with bass 7. Needs a new paint job.. my question does anyone know who know how much would it cost to fix all that and were would I find a spot were you know for shure they will get the job done..Any were in Los Angeles
StevenLobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #5018
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLobo View Post
I'm a new to this prelude car , I have a honda 2000 prelude all white I have lots of problems with it which is 1. Oil leak, 2. Turns to the right if I let go of the steering wheel (not the axle) 3. Passenger door doesnt open from the inside 4. When it rains water goes threw a few drops 5. The trunk only can open from the switch inside 6. Needs a new system with bass 7. Needs a new paint job.. my question does anyone know who know how much would it cost to fix all that and were would I find a spot were you know for shure they will get the job done..Any were in Los Angeles
1. clean the motor and source the leak location
2. have an alignment performed at a reputable shop - something may be damaged
3. remove the interior door handle and see if the rod is attached - or if the clip broke off
4. water goes through what and where to?
5. do you have a master key(black) or a valet key(grey) only master keys will open the trunk from the outside
6. can't help you there
7. drive it while you get it mechanically sound - looks can always come later, paint is expensive

You can work on most of that yourself, it's really not bad at all. As for a local shop, can't help you there either but if you gave them the car as is - expect a hefty bill.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #5019
StevenLobo

The water goes threw the front window on the top and yes I do have a black master key the thing is we're to insert the key on the trunk is not lined up correctly so there no were to insert the key. There's a lot major problems with my car it shuts off on me randomly and to start the car it takes a couple times to start it like 8 times
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #5020
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
The water goes threw the front window on the top and yes I do have a black master key the thing is we're to insert the key on the trunk is not lined up correctly so there no were to insert the key. There's a lot major problems with my car it shuts off on me randomly and to start the car it takes a couple times to start it like 8 times
Random shutting down - does the green key flash in the dash? There was a known issue with the ignition switch failing. Honda had fixed the issue for 99+ models however some still fail.

Front window - have you checked the sunroof drain tubes? If they are clogged, water will run down the pillars around the windshield If it is not the drain tubes, you may need the windshield pulled and reinstalled.

You can adjust where the key cylinder sits from within the trunk - simply open the trunk and look at the inside where the cylinder mounts. It's only held in with (1) 10mm bolt if memory serves me right.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #5021
DawsNos

I have a 1998 base model prelude with pretty much no mods and I know little to nothing about cars and I would like to know what would be the best smaller mods I can start with to make it a little faster
Old 01-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #5022
StevenLobo

Ya the green key flash goes on but every time I get in my car to head out it's a few try's to get it to start and ok I check out the trunk thing.. and I'm from Los Angeles/ San Fernando valley if you know a mechanic that can fix every problem in my car I'll take it to them and how much would you think it would cost I need a estimate?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #5023
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
I have a 1998 base model prelude with pretty much no mods and I know little to nothing about cars and I would like to know what would be the best smaller mods I can start with to make it a little faster

Personally I would keep it mechanically stock and enjoy it, unless you intend to dump a lot of money into the car. The strengths are it's handling, and unique style - the speed part comes a couple thousand dollars later.

The typical thing to do is intake/header/exhaust. But to actually gain any power worth the money for those bolt ons - you would need to spend even more for it all to work together properly. I recommend reading around the builds section and check out what other members are doing.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #5024
Wing8806
Faptastic

Quote:
Ya the green key flash goes on but every time I get in my car to head out it's a few try's to get it to start and ok I check out the trunk thing.. and I'm from Los Angeles/ San Fernando valley if you know a mechanic that can fix every problem in my car I'll take it to them and how much would you think it would cost I need a estimate?

Everything besides paint and audio - anywhere from 500 to 1000+

Really depends on what the issues are after the car is checked out by a mechanic.

I'm on the opposite side of the country, can't help you with shops - sorry man.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #5025
GhostPrelude

GhostPrelude is on a distinguished road
I'm new to this whole thing. I haven't really used a lot of thread forums before. so here is my list of questions.
Turbo charged or twin turbo charged with vtec. Is it possible, and what are the specs for it when done properly?
How do you install a body kit without going to a body shop?
where is a reasonable transmission shop that can fix or rebuild my current transmission with upgraded internals. I have the 98 base model with the auto. I prefer the auto in it for practicality and usefulness. (have driven manuals in the past and loved them. as a purely experimental thing) I plan on a $50,000 build over the span of the next 12 years. (currently in the process of going back to school for a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering with a masters in aerospace engineering.)
this will be accomplished bit by bit over time. possible one part at a time.
if i can get a complied list and hot to write ups on key things, i am quite sure i will be able to be just fine. an help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. i have a vision of how i see the car, just need help on refining it now. My name is Ghost Prelude. I like to keep my real name to my self. Who knows, maybe if things go right you may find out more then meets the eye. thank you for taking the time to read this post, have an awesome weekend coming up and happy Friday eve. Also, is there and luders near or around the Kentucky area? or am i literally the only one i'm my entire town?
GhostPrelude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement