3rd Gen_ SR Citizen - Page 16 - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 AM   #376
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

I have those same 4ws stickers waiting till I respray though. Did you notice his rare heated mirror switch with folding mirror button and wait for it, the amber little button in the center for the heated mirrors? It's in one of your pics.

jdm only I believe maybe euro too? interior door panels with red courtesy light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cudaboy; 11-03-2016 at 01:06 AM.
cudaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2016, 04:25 AM   #377
Austro
True Luder

Austro is on a distinguished road
That Trust manifold.... and the Tanabe strut brace.... fuck! Such good photos of such a good car.

Austro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #378
Andrew
I am Prelude

Andrew has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew has a spectacular aura about

Prelude of the Month

New headlight! Truck-lite 27450C. Initial impressions are very positive. But I only bought one. The other one can go in the budget for a different month lol.

Long and short of it is, the Amazon reviews are pretty much bang on. This is a bright headlight that makes driving at night more pleasant as compared to sealed beam halogens. I have used GE Nighthawk (halogen, not the rebranded Truck-lite LED ones) and Sylvania Silverstar halogens and this is better than both. Both were already considerably better than whatever generic old ones came with the car.

The pros are a wide beam, sharp horizontal cutoff, lots of white light, and it should last for a very long time, being a product targeted at the commercial trucking industry. The cons are the price and the very noticeable hotspot, but so far that only bothers me when pulling up close to something and not when actually driving.

instagram: @

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the stock one as well. You're getting Pandora's Box either way, but at least with the stock one Zeus has actually remembered to hide hope at the bottom.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #379
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Run_Away will become famous soon enough

Prelude of the Month
Awesome! I've done some research looking to see what's the best plug and play solution. I'd be curious how they stack up vs the newer GENSSI 6x7
Old 12-06-2016, 01:24 AM   #380
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
If I buy one and compare them would you buy it off me after? I'm only half kidding. It would be interesting to know. I know the JW Speaker one with a projector is supposedly better than the Truck-lite, but it's in a whole other price range again. While this reflector design clearly works well, I do like the idea of using a projector

The older Genssi model looks like junk but this newer one seems to have a lot more potential. It's also available branded as SuperBrightLEDs and XtremeVision.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward the stock one as well. You're getting Pandora's Box either way, but at least with the stock one Zeus has actually remembered to hide hope at the bottom.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #381
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet

Does it put out any heat? I would worry about it icing over easier if not in really bad conditions. Our city put in led traffic intersection lights in some areas and I think they removed all of them because they would get snow packed and iced over. Is 2 cnotes correct? wow. I would hope in time that would be cut in half.

'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #382
Buffer3
Getting Comfortable

Buffer3 is on a distinguished road
Please keep me posted on this..I am interested in the results.
Buffer3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #383
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
It does put off a little heat but not enough to keep up with a snowstorm. Lucky for me there isn't much winter here.

Yes nearly 2 Franklins is correct. Spendy, yes, but it doesn't seem bad when you consider the cost is comparable to HID retrofits, but without the retrofitting or even any wiring.

I doubt the Truck-lite price will come down much. They are made in USA, marketed as a long term value investment, and lower pricing might actually hurt the perception of quality. I've been watching these lights on Amazon since they came out in 2012. The price has fallen from $250 to $180 in those 5 years, but it did so mostly in the first 3 years and is holding steady now.

Other brands however, yes, the price will continue to go down. Not everyone is designing or manufacturing to the same quality standards and in the same expensive labor market. You can already get really cheap ones if you're willing to forgo all common decency and get them without a cutoff.

Quote:
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #384
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
If I buy one and compare them would you buy it off me after? I'm only half kidding. It would be interesting to know. I know the JW Speaker one with a projector is supposedly better than the Truck-lite, but it's in a whole other price range again. While this reflector design clearly works well, I do like the idea of using a projector

The older Genssi model looks like junk but this newer one seems to have a lot more potential. It's also available branded as SuperBrightLEDs and XtremeVision.
Haha, that's pretty tempting but honestly probably not right now. They're very high on my want list, but I can't justify that kind of money when there are other things I need to take care of first. I barely drive my car anyways, especially at night.
I'm pretty excited you've taken the plunge. Much easier to justify if it's your DD.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #385
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Right?! Safety first! This was (fingers crossed) my car payment for the month. Lots cheaper than buying a brand new Corolla to get HIDs.

I just remembered about this headlight shootout article I read a while back. Maybe worth sharing. It compares round headlights, but at least a couple of them (Truck-Lite and JW Speaker) are also available in the 5x7 form factor and I found it was informative to read even if not directly applicable.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #386
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I'd heard about the snow issue with LED headlights, but now I have experienced it for myself... in heavy snowfall this thing needed to be cleaned every 10-15 minutes. Next time it snows I will be trying pam, as recommended on a trucking forum. Maybe RainX and pam. It's not a deal breaker for me with how rare snow is here, but I can't in good conscience recommend LED headlights* to people who daily drive in a climate with regular snow.

*Heated models exist; those would be the exception

Quote:
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #387
Buffer3
Getting Comfortable

Although out east we have regular snow, I can honestly say my Lude will never see any. Once done it becomes a summer only few times a week driver and holiday tours..so LED just may be the way to go. Please keep me posted.

*Heated models exist; those would be the exception [/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #388
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffer3 View Post
Although out east we have regular snow, I can honestly say my Lude will never see any. Once done it becomes a summer only few times a week driver and holiday tours..so LED just may be the way to go. Please keep me posted.
If you're not driving in snow it's pretty much a simple cost / benefit analysis, balancing how much you drive at night and and how much you're willing to spend on lights, and of course keeping in mind the law of diminishing returns. But it seems that within reason you'll generally get what you pay for here.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2016, 03:31 AM   #389
cudaboy
Elite Member

Sorry to hear it. I will goes this route someday if the heated versions work. The split in the middle didn't bother me that much. I hadn't researched these newer led versions yet. I will say I like the idea of a projector but the fact that the lights would be in the up position even while off for four to six months out of the year during winter. I hated that they looked like eyeballs. These don't have that problem and don't distract your eye to them away from the overall look of the car in the same way.

Was the heated versions a different brand? How much more expensive are they?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #390
Buffer3
Getting Comfortable

Am I missing something? Do the headlights not go down with these beams?
Old 12-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #391
cudaboy
Elite Member

no. I park outside so in winter I flip the switch on the lower dash to leave them popped up so I can make sure they don't get iced up to the point they won't pop up because they are permanently popped up even while not on.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #392
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
I do the same thing but more to save wear on the popup mechanism even when it's not icy. In winter months, 90% of my driving is done in the dark. Why bother retracting the lights?

Heated models - I was thinking in broader terms than just 5x7's. The latest truck-lite 7" round model has a defroster built into the lens. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the feature comes to other models. IMO it can't be soon enough.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #393
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Completed my set of truck-lites.

Low beam:

High beam:

Quote:
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #394
cudaboy
Elite Member

So you doubled down on an expensive led light that has issues. I figured you would sell the one you had and wait for the heated version to come available. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #395
Buffer3
Getting Comfortable

they look super bright..keep me posted on how good they work
Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #396
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy View Post
So you doubled down on an expensive led light that has issues. I figured you would sell the one you had and wait for the heated version to come available. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If everything I did was based on logic, I wouldn't even own a Prelude.

But I did think through it, and if you can believe it, this was my convoluted way of not throwing good money after bad. Because, after having a taste of LED's, I wasn't about to go back to halogens. If I switched to a different brand of LEDs, I would have not only taken a loss on the sale of one Truck-lite, but I would have gone and spent more afterward on the next pair.

Snow isn't a major concern here. It snows like 2-3x per winter. I want to be clear though, don't buy unheated LED headlights if you live where it snows more.

The one regret I have, and I'll address this to Buffer, is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffer3 View Post
they look super bright..keep me posted on how good they work
Yes, they're bright! Here's my complaint regarding the light. Those hot spots. Sometimes I'm fine with it, but sometimes I get irritated wondering why those particular lumens couldn't be spread out in a more useful way.

Other than the uneven spread of light, these headlights are comparable to the HID's in a new car. Maybe slightly less light, but the main difference is the HID's throw a very smooth/even beam and these don't. Traffic held me next to a newish BMW 1-series on the highway tonight and I had a few minutes to compare the two. When considering what that guy paid for the ability to see very slightly better than me, I came away quite satisfied with my purchase.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #397
Xclusive1
Getting Comfortable

Xclusive1 is on a distinguished road
Looks good man!

Have you had projector retrofits before? Wondering what the difference with these and projector retrofits looks like.
Xclusive1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #398
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive1 View Post
Looks good man!

Have you had projector retrofits before? Wondering what the difference with these and projector retrofits looks like.
I haven't had them. I assume you're talking about HID projectors, because there are also projector style housings that take regular old halogen bulbs.

If the retrofit is done well, they should work just as well as they do in OEM applications, which superior to these in terms of light output. I went this route to save myself the work and the hassle of replacing ballasts at random later.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #399
Run_Away
Lude Boss

Prelude of the Month
Nice!

I'm wondering how hard it would be to adapt a 7" round light into our cars. Seems like there are more 7" round options?
It would look like a Miata.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #400
Andrew
I am Prelude

Prelude of the Month
Maybe! Here, I overlaid them at actual scale to get an idea of the size difference.

This looks like it could work, though you might have to modify more than just the bucket and bezel. I suspect the light would have to open up further.

This has been done the other way around on Miatas to get lower profile headlights. Looks good:

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/86-...ck-lights.html

Research done purely out of curiosity, I have no intention of trying it!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement