Honda Prelude Forum banner

Cracked thermostat housing

5K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
Hi. My thermostat housing cracked in half and i cannot find a replacement anywhere. if someone has one they would be willing to sell i would greatly appreciate it, or if someone knows where to get one that would be awesome.

Also forgot to mention its a 1991 with the B21A1

Thanks,
Kyle

#2 ·
Holy crap that is wierd maybe you were low on antifreeze and it froze. Here is a link. #14 and or #12. If replacing #14 then you will need oring #13. I am sure someone onhere will have one used for you though. Check ebay too. 88-91 prelude.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=32&productID=6&yearID=30&doorID=1&gradeID=423&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=1&idAndImageID=5777%20459144&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Water%20Pump%20(SI)

#3 ·
Holy crap that is wierd maybe you were low on antifreeze and it froze. Here is a link. #14 and or #12. If replacing #14 then you will need oring #13. I am sure someone onhere will have one used for you though. Check ebay too. 88-91 prelude.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=32&productID=6&yearID=30&doorID=1&gradeID=423&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=1&idAndImageID=5777%20459144&isBigPicture=False&pageName=Water%20Pump%20(SI)
yeah im thinking getting a used is cheaper. someone sent me a pm saying they have a used one but i cant reply cause i dont have 10 posts. :?

#15 ·
I've actually heard from a couple other cali 3rd genners at meets that this has been a common problem for them. I've never cracked one, but i'm sure it happens. If you can't find one by next week, I can stop by one of the pick n pulls up here and grab one for you. whatever it costs me + shipping and paypal fees.

#16 ·
Hey I have one...I found it in my trunk when I bought my car, haha. I know it must be for either B20 or B21 because it doesn't look like the one on my b20a3. As you can see, I have less than 10 posts, but that'll change.

#17 ·
Dammm I didn't know these were discontinued. I see 3rd gens at the junkyard all the time and they have these by the dozen. I have a spare one if you want it. Its in excellent condition. Lmk. You just want the round piece that conects to the upper radiator hose right? Cause that's the one I have. I don't have the whole housing. Funny thing I was gonna take it to the scrap a few days ago with a bunch of shit I had piled in my garage. Also we need to start a thread about discontinued parts for our 3rd gens. That way we can start gathering all these parts. I see 3rd gens at the junkyard here in cali a lot. Like 6 or 7 at a time. That's a lot of ludes going to waste.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help ugly3g but that part is still available but the original poster said crap the part he needed is discoed. Which the bulbous cap is.

Edit: I just realised. You have a rare waterneck. It has the hole in the backside for the thermovalve. If the threads are still good in all holes including that rear then You can cram an apropriate size npt fitting reducer with 1/8th" internal hole and run a seperate water temp gauge with electrical sensor without piggy backing off original gauge sensor. Thats what I did. Plus if one sensor goes out or gauge you still have the other.

#26 ·
Id probably have one, have 7 or 8 different ones here, would need a pic of yours to double check. If ya in aus id be happy to post. As to it snapping, probably overtightened the bolts with thermostat or something jammed in the mounting flange I would guess, that or cracked in an accident and finally let go. Maybe even a factory casting flaw.
I doubt freezing/cooking would break it, something else would bust or burst first

#28 ·
That happens. It's an easy fix if you have experience. If you decide to remove the distributor, remember you must perform the ignition timing immediately once it is back on the car.

#30 ·
The water pump is on the opposite side, between the cam gears and the crank pulley. If a water pump on a Honda leaks, that means someone replaced it and did something wrong. The water pumps just don't leak on Honda's unless it was installed wrong. The only Honda water pump I have ever seen leak was because somebody put it on with 3 bolts instead of 5.

With that said, there are other places it could be leaking. The T-line is the first suspect. Go ahead and replace all the coolant hoses associated with that T-line. Coolant hoses have a shelf life of 7-10 years or something. If you got 20+ years out of that coolant hose, it's all in need of replacement anyway.

#31 ·
The water pump is on the opposite side, between the cam gears and the crank pulley. If a water pump on a Honda leaks, that means someone replaced it and did something wrong. The water pumps just don't leak on Honda's unless it was installed wrong. The only Honda water pump I have ever seen leak was because somebody put it on with 3 bolts instead of 5.

With that said, there are other places it could be leaking. The T-line is the first suspect. Go ahead and replace all the coolant hoses associated with that T-line. Coolant hoses have a shelf life of 7-10 years or something. If you got 20+ years out of that coolant hose, it's all in need of replacement anyway.
you know water pumps do go bad right?

#32 ·
Oh coarse. I did not mean to imply a water pump will not go bad. They can rust and stuff. I've only ever seen them rusted out with the one exception where the previous person installed it one bolt short. Yes, replace the water pump at normal service interval (correctly) and it will never cause a problem. Correct also implies a proper 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

#34 ·
i know the water pumps on the other side im just saying that if im not leaking any coolant anywhere and its still overheating then the water pump isnt getting the job done or maybe lots of air in the lines? anyway the T line hoses are getting replaced this weekend when i have time so ill post with what happens, hopefully it fixes the problem

#35 ·
ben_deez, you had a water pump crack from a gasket that was too thick? I've not seen that yet. I understand there is an order to torque the bolts. What torque order did you use? What brand gasket?

I like to torque everything in steps. If it calls for 9 ft/lbs, I torque all to like 5 ft/lbs, then all again to 9 ft/lbs. I'll do that with anything that seals and have never had problems like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.