Honda Prelude Forum banner

Only running on two cylinders

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  HornyNinja 
#1 ·
Ok here's my dilema, my car started feeling like crap and misfiring. When I checked it out I realized it was only running on 2 cylinders. I checked for codes and got a code 16 which is fuel injector circuit. I followed the flow chart and it said if I get a clicking at all the injectors then its the ecu. I was speaking to someone and they said it can't be because then the car wouldn't start. Any thoughts on this situation?

#3 ·
I'm getting spark on all four and I had someone do a compression test and he said its pretty much even across the board.

#4 ·
With the engine on, try pulling off the plug wires from each cylinder one by one to see if the idle stays the same or gets worse. If it stays the same you know that, that cylinder is not firing.

Usually this problem is caused by plug wires having a bad connection to the plugs or some other sort of electrical problem. I heard you say you have spark, but please re-check.

#5 ·
I did that and its how I determined I was only on two. Cylinders 1 and 2 are the ones that aren't running, I'm only running on 3 and 4.

#11 ·
It's not too hard (but dangerous) to take the injectors out and test them by having the entire fuel rail spray into a bucket. This gives you a quick, full answer if it's the fuel system or not. I'm still betting it's not.

The crank angle sensor sounds more plausible.

#12 ·
Injectors static open or closed is the money bet. Put a open end wrench on the injectors for the cylinders not working and slightly tap them. I've encountered paint flakes and such that seem to make it in there. Tapping them slightly may free them up. I've only had to do this 2 times, but worked each time. Worth a try.

#13 ·
or it could be the injector resistor box on the firewall. check all the connections from that all the way to the rail. if even one is off or lose then it will screw with most of ur electrical. i will also point out that with injectors the wiring is usually paired. meaning cyls 1 and 2 are paired and cyls 3 and 4 are paired. and since cyls 3 and 4 are working cyls 1 and 2 are not. so in conclusion i believe it be something electrical over an injector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.