Honda Prelude Forum banner

How do i know if my Fuel Filter is bad?

16K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Lil_Black_Lude 
#1 ·
anyone know how i can tell if my fuel filter is bad? And my FPR (Fuel pressure regulator?) How can i tell? i know there are guides as to checking fuel pressure but can anyone elaborate and provide pics maybe? or an official guide?

#3 ·
nah... i have horrible gas mileage and i just changed my fuel filter, o2 sensors, spark plugs & wires... all the oils in my car... what else? lol everything! and im still getting like 240 to a tank... and soot all over the back bumper. I don't have idleing problems tho.. my car idles fine at about 800 rpm i'd say if i can remember correctly.

#5 ·
30,000 miles!??! shit my car has fuckin 166,000 on it and i bought it with 163,000 ish... i dunno when that was changed last time - AND it's a f*cking $200 part!!!(minus labor, i'm sure i can do it myself) tell me ur kidding...

#6 ·
If it hasn't been changed then definitely change it. My old B21 prelude had a clogged filter and I noticed an instant improvement in idle rpms and instant throttle response when I changed it out.
Changing the fuel filter is on my to do list for this spring on the lude.

#7 ·
aw crap.. i guess i'm on my way to buying a fuel filter... i believe honda quoted me around $100 for a FPR and $200 for a fuel filter... is that too much? that includes my discount as i work for south motors infiniti and i'm buying from south motors honda.. my discount is like 20% and if my friends working around 25 or 30% depending on the item. Anywhere i can get it cheaper? and i decent one not a ripoff brand? and replacing it, any guides on that? is it easy? how do i do it?

#11 ·
aw crap.. i guess i'm on my way to buying a fuel filter... i believe honda quoted me around $100 for a FPR and $200 for a fuel filter... is that too much?
whats PITA mean? Whats the $200 piece?
Pain In The Ass :wave:

I assume $200 was the cost they quoted to replace the fuel filter.

#8 ·
http://spoonhonda.com/downloads.htm

^ download the Helms Manual for the 5th gen from here...it has the proceedures for all of this stuff. The fuel filter is a bit of a PITA on the Prelude so $200 for the replacement is probably not that terrible but the filter itself from Honda is only like $20-$30 tops.

#13 ·
wow lol MY BAD!!! It wasnt the fuel filter i meant fuel PUMP!!! i've been trying to say PUMP all this time. i already replaced the FILTER... the PUMP was $200 estimate... for the piece no labor. i don't pay people to do my shit lol i do most of it myself...

#18 ·
honda does not have a recommended interval to replace the fuel filter. They only suggest to replace it when fuel pressure tests below a certain threashold...
PG. 361 of the acrobat file helms, 11-127 of the book

#19 ·
so can anyone tell me what exactaly i need (pictures plz) to test my fuel pressure??? i heard all i need is a gauge and pinch the hose or whatever? is there a quick guide anywhere? BTW i use 93 octane (premium) in my car and only that. how much is a walbro 255 fuel pump and where can i get it? (if its pricier than a stock one, whats the benefits if i'm running only a few bolt-ons and no upgraded fuel system?)

#20 ·
There's a Honda OEM fuel adapter fitting that costs around $12 that threads onto the fuel rail/feed line port to fit a fuel pressure gauge on.

You should also get two replacement crush washers for the bung.

Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and cap the end so you don't have a vacuum leak. You should get somewhere between 40-47 psi. With the FPR vacuum line plugged back in: 30-37 psi.

#22 ·
fuel rail/feedline port... no idea where that is (i know where the rail is... but i havent really looked at it) one step at a time i'm learning everything about cars... at least h22a1's... i found out that doing the work myself is way more rewarding in man-points and cash... most of it is really easy.

ummmm so... where do i get this gauge? honda or at an autoparts store? and what exactaly am i doing? i dont know what line to clamp!?

#23 ·
It's where the metal hard-line meets the fuel rail. It comes off the fuel filter and goes to the fuel rail.

Get the adapter and buy any fuel pressure gauge that fits it. I use the Honda one but there should be a generic one that works.

As for knowing exactly what to do, the procedure is in the Helm's, read over the pdf file. I think it even has pictures to show you what to do. I just don't want to list out a procedure that's already in the Helm's ya know?

#25 ·
yay i found somewhere $79 for a walbro 255 but... i dont know shit about fuel pumps.. do i need a super-hightech engine for a walbro 255.. or can one be fine for my stock system? will it do any good or will it be like... turboing a car that cant spool it?

what i'm asking is if fuel pumps need to be precise according to usage or if i can shoot big and just wait till my specs meet what the fuel pump can put out? (never) i really am thinking about getting this one its cheap!!

#28 ·
i already changed out the plugs... i just went over to honda and they told me my gas mileage is suffering and the stumbling is cuz of my insufficient EGR flow... which i ran the code on a couple weeks back.. i thought EGR was only related to heating the car up? i guess i'm in for a port clean ASAP.... sh*t!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.