Water Pump Inlet Pipe - Rusted Out!! - Honda Prelude Forum : Honda Prelude Forums
Home Forums Albums POTM Garage iTrader Arcade
Register FAQ Insurance Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PreludePower.com is the premier Honda Prelude Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
89prludesi
Getting Comfortable

89prludesi has disabled reputation
Water Pump Inlet Pipe - Rusted Out!!

Hello all,
I have an '89 with the B20A5 motor. This is a very high mileage motor at around 300k. Long story short, I have been running straight water in it for the last couple of years due to it leaking and not knowing where it was leaking. Now the leak got so bad that you could only drive the car for maybe 10 minutes before emptying the cooling system. I eventually figured out that the water is coming out of the water pump inlet pipe (as the manual calls it). I tried to put some high quality stop leak in, but it failed to work. I pulled the motor and tranny out, it badly needed a new rear main seal and clutch anyway. None of the auto part stores around here carry this pipe and I did try Majestic Honda and Rockauto as well with no luck. Anybody know where else I could try? I would prefer to just buy a new pipe if possible. I am afraid if I get one from a wrecking yard I could end up with one that isnt much better than the one I have. I am going to try a couple wrecking yards anyway to see if I can even get one. I am in the process of building a new motor, but I need this engine back in and running until I can get the other one finished. I have been driving and working on these cars for years and have never come across this issue before. I know that running straight water with NO antifreeze is bad because of the anti-rust inhibitors that are in antifreeze, but didnt have much choice because of the leaks (and too lazy to fix the problem to begin with). UGH. Any ideas or advice? Thanks in advance.
89prludesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
1funryd
Elite Member

1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough1funryd is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to 1funryd Send a message via MSN to 1funryd Send a message via Yahoo to 1funryd

You just have to bite the bullet and buy another used pipe on ebay or part outs or the junkyard.

There is no other option out there.
The B20a is a non supported motor.

Sean

3rd Gen Aftermarket Manager

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Clik Here)
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Danny19 - JDM RH Drive) (1Funryd - H23 Swap) (B20luda - Turbo Charged H22)Representing All of 3rd Gens!!!
1funryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #3
cudaboy
Elite Member

cudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internetcudaboy is the King of the Internet
Send a message via Yahoo to cudaboy

I am not sure on the carb motors but you can pull that pipe from any b20a5 pipe or b21a1. I see you have a manual transmission. To use a pipe from an automatic transmission prelude you have to cut off, I think it is 3", from the transmission side. Since you have the old one out just make it match. Depending on the condition of your old pipe and where it is leaking it could be repaired with a patch and a mig welder. I would media blast it to see if there are any pin holes that your not aware of. Plus it will need to have the paint and rust removed to weld and then will be ready for paint.

'91 Si 4ws 5spd(black) "Black Betty"
'70 'Cuda 340 C.I.D. Alpine White, Black Vynil Top, Leather Interior, Rim Blow, Overhead Consolette. Factory Posi 3.55:1, 15" ralleyes, --Fully Loaded and Extremely Rare!

cudaboy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
rev_rage
I am Prelude

rev_rage has a spectacular aura aboutrev_rage has a spectacular aura about
i got one brand spanking new
rev_rage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
luzer
Elite Member

luzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura aboutluzer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rage View Post
i got one brand spanking new
Not sure how this helps the OP...definitely helps you, but him, not so much LOL

Unless you're offering to sell it to him that is.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
89prludesi
Getting Comfortable

Thanks all for your replies. I live in the god forsaken town of Albany, OR. These wrecking yards have NO preludes. Only 1 '85. So now I get to travel to Eugene today (60 miles away) in my inlaws gas guzzler. They have 3 fairly new arrivals. Will see what else they have worth grabbing. hey rev_rage how did you get a new one?
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
rev_rage
I am Prelude

rev_rage has a spectacular aura aboutrev_rage has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89prludesi View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I live in the god forsaken town of Albany, OR. These wrecking yards have NO preludes. Only 1 '85. So now I get to travel to Eugene today (60 miles away) in my inlaws gas guzzler. They have 3 fairly new arrivals. Will see what else they have worth grabbing. hey rev_rage how did you get a new one?
bought it like 7 years ago. pm me if you want to buy it.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
89prludesi
Getting Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rage View Post
bought it like 7 years ago. pm me if you want to buy it.
I tried to pm you to ask how much etc. but apparently I only have 8 posts and I have to have 10 to pm members? Interesting rule. Maybe if you have more posts you could pm me? Not sure if that will work or not.

Last edited by 89prludesi; 02-20-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement