Honda Prelude Forum banner

Modify your stock boot to fit with aftermarket knob

18K views 59 replies 42 participants last post by  BChadbb6 
#1 ·
Ok guys, i recently bough a new shift knob, and we all know that aftermarket knobs dont like to cooperate with the factory shift boot thanks to the chrome square. So i did a write up for all us guys that want to use our stock boots with an aftermarket shift knob. I wanted stock because i like the all black look, and i didnt wanna pay 30 bucks for a type r boot. Im gonna try to make this as legible and detailed as possible.

First of all, lets go over the materials your gonna need.

You will need
-shift knob of your choice, and its lock nut if it comes with one
-A replacement collar, no one thing is the "right thing" so get creative :D
-something to hold the boot up flush to the knob
-philips head screwdriver
-zip ties
-snips or scissors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXOZeZ5fzk4&feature=channel_page

Now lets get started, first, go to look at your stock knob and you will see where the chrome piece meets the knob.

You will need to snap the chrome piece off, just pry underneath of it and it will pop off, and dont worry it wont break even if it feels like it will. You can do this with your fingers or a flat screwdriver.

Now you can unscrew your factory shift knob.

Next you need to get ready to take the center console out, so make sure theres no crap in it.

It should look empty like this.

Also snap out your coin holder.

Now you need to take out the screws that hold in the center console. There are 4 per side, the first screw is easily located.

There is also a screw behind a panel up front, so this little panel needs to be popped out. It just pops out by hand

With the panel out of the way you will see the screw that needs to be removed. (Damn you OBD2!!!!!!)

Now put your seat forwards to reveal the other 2 screws. The bottom left and bottom right are the only ones you need to remove, dont take out the top middle screw.

Now repeat the process on the driver's side. When your done you should have 8 screws, keep them together where they wont get lost, i used the sex blocker.

Now you can pull out your center console, its pretty easy to get out, just pull your e-brake up to make it easier. It might require a little wriggling to get it all the way out.

Dont pull too hard, because theres a plug that needs to be undone before it comes all the way out.

LOOK HOW BARE IT IS!!!!

Now flip your shift boot inside to reveal the zip tie that holds the chrome piece.

Now you can snip the zip tie off. Be careful not to snip your boot.

Then you can take out the chrome piece.

Now slip in the piece your gonna use as your new collar.

Zip tie it on, the smaller zip tie the better, big zip ties have big heads that pushes out the boot and makes it look gay.

Now put on the washer piece to hold up the collar and boot. Dot tighten it too much, because it will probably need to be adjusted

Now you can put the console back on, just check to see if the boot is held to where you want it, if not, adjust the washer piece and tighten it when you get it where you want it. It might take a couple tries to get it just right ;)

Once you have the boot where you want it put the console back in, it mike take some wriggling, but its simple. Then put in all your screws and put the panels back on. Dont forget to reconnect the red wire.

Now that your done you can put the knob on and bask in its glory :D

Hope this helped out, if it helped you rep would be appreciated

Please let me know what you think, your opinion is welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow that came out really nicely. I need to do something like this on my redline shift boot since it's kinda all over the place and looks kinda bad if I havent just pulled it back up

#7 ·
Probably, it's just round instead of rectangular. Can't say for sure though :hehe:

Since I cant drive my car right now I think I'll be doing this on sunday. I'll be sure to post up how mine turns out in here

#16 ·
Ok so I just got back from ACE and I was able to find the collar part, but not the little silver lock nut thingy. No one there could find it for me either lol. Sooo...if you wanna pick one up and stick it in an envelope for me then send it out here I can pay you for it lol. Let me know if that works for you

#18 ·
Someone also did a write up and they used a rubber hose around the shifter with a clamp around the hose and it worked the same way.

Ill go to ace and get the part name and number first and see if they can find it then.

If not i can probably get one to you

#22 ·
OK guys, I went to ace and got the parts numbers. These are the parts you need. If you go to ace you can buy them individually, no need to buy the 10 pack ;)

- Shaft Collar. 1/2 inch inside diameter.
- part# : 58327

- Bronze Bearing. Your choice of size
- part# : 58099

#23 ·
Thanks dude! I'll have to go over there today or tomorrow and pick one up.

#24 ·
Ok my ACE sucks lol and they didnt have them. They knew what I was talking about but we couldn't find them. I guess I'll have to come up with something else for that...

#25 ·
Ok so I figured what the hell, Im not going to find this collar thing, so I mght as well work with what I've got lol. It involves a bronze bearing (as listed), a 1 inch piece of 1/2" ID pipe, a zip-tie and some electrical tape. It came out very nicely!

I took these pics with my phone so bear with me lol

Zip tying the boot to the collar:

From the other side. Looking good!

Voila! Finished product!

I might paint/color the collar black but bronze actually looks really nice

#28 · (Edited)
Good job on the write up. Cant wait to get this done on my lude :D But what other things could i use in replacment for the bronze thingy. I really cant think of ANYTHING!!! and in canada we dont have ACE :( cant find that locking washer either. Basiccally i need replacement ideas for the 2 most important parts :p

#29 ·
ok so I was bored and decided to bust out the dslr and take some better pics:

you can also drool at my sexy custom floor mats ;)

#31 ·
nice diy project. i use real ctr/itr shift boot & ebay knob for mine. shift boot comes with collar and it's oem. just have to swap the base and you should be fine. i also cut the threads down about another 1.75" or so with some die.:-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.