Honda Prelude Forum banner

Best cams for N/A H22.

80K views 118 replies 41 participants last post by  firetyrant 
#1 ·
Ok, I know that some of you are gonna tell me to go to hondatech and to look around, but I figure that this is a forum, so might as well discuss right here right?

With that said, in the future I will be porting the head of a H22 motor. What I would like to know what are the best N/A cams out there for this motor, duration and lift wise. I know very little about this so any input is great.

#28 ·
crower stage 3's are only 499 from crower themselves..i called and asked cuz i couldnt believe it. you can get jun's for 960 ..just the cams themselves. crower 3's have a very aggressive profile actually more aggressive than the jun's but supposively the jun's are better...they say either one doesnt mess up your idle. so thats always good. but with the crower 3's you have to shim your bottom side of the rockers to clear from hitting your retainers.

#29 ·
Any vtec cam should leave your idle un-molested, thats the entire point of vtec in the first place.

Anywhere that can grind custom cams can make anything you damn well please on demand.

The only way JUN's cams are better (if crower has a more agressive profile) is that they have JUN stamped on them. Names sell, for a lot.

A custom cam ground to the same specs as JUN (or better yet, something custom to YOUR engine and YOUR mods) is just as good as a JUN cam.
A cam ground specifically for your engine/mods/purposes will be better then any stage whateverthefuck cam from anybody.

#32 ·
Bobnova said:
Any vtec cam should leave your idle un-molested, thats the entire point of vtec in the first place.
Eh, there are VTEC cams out there with big idle lobes for more built engines. Compared to 1-profile performance cams though the idle tradeoffs they'll make will be very very mild.

#39 · (Edited)
it hasn't been tuned yet, but mated with an rmf... my car is a beast even before tuning. it gets tuned next month because i just took out another $2000 loan to buy more parts with... and to spend on tuning. i was just going to use crome but i got a good deal on a loan so i'm going all out with hondata.

hondata + 440cc injectors + blacktrax intake manifold + fuel pump, rail & regulator = 215whp

#43 ·
A LOT of people use stage II's because, and i think blake said this, they're the same specs as the Jun stage III's which are excellent cams. after i heard that i kinda wished i had bought them, but i'm still very happy with what i've got. skunk2 or portflow valvetrain stuff isn't expensive, and i think it's worth it to spend a bit more to use better cams.

i bought skunk2 S&R for $365 shipped and the crower 2's for $465 shipped... combined, that's about the same as the MSRP for the skunk2 stage II's. they come at a price.

there's a chart about injector limits on pgmfi

#44 ·
yeah im thinking about going stage I just because i think to get the max potential out of the skunkII stgII you really gotta rev them out which i dont want to be doin on my daily driver. by the way what are you revving to when you had it dynoed or just in general??

#48 ·
ludespeed501 said:
Where did you get your Crower Stage2's for $465?? The cheapest I've found them was $500 from www.crower.com
get on honda-tech in the classified section where the distributors list their stuff and find a thread about crower stuff. there's a guy named justin on there who sells them. email him. he's a good guy. the thread is usually on the first 2 pages or so of the classifieds. he's from importcarpartsplus.com, but you can't really order from there... the website that is.

you'll figure it out.

#50 · (Edited)
converge said:
get on honda-tech in the classified section where the distributors list their stuff and find a thread about crower stuff. there's a guy named justin on there who sells them. email him. he's a good guy. the thread is usually on the first 2 pages or so of the classifieds. he's from importcarpartsplus.com, but you can't really order from there... the website that is.

you'll figure it out.
Thanks, I sent him an email. One more thing though...

Would I be ok with crower stage 2 cams, portflow valve springs/retainers, rmf header.. and then tune it with a vafcII? I cant convert to obd1 b/c of emissions.

#51 ·
eh... you can use a vafc, but it won't do you much good. it's not near as good of a tune... or as safe as a hondata or e-manage (you can use e-manage with obdII). at the very least use the e-manage. i think topendlude knows something about e-manage, i'm not too clear on the specifics of it.

a vafc doesn't control ignition, and it has few tuning points. that's why people don't like it. it's very "in the ballpark".

technically, you can convert to obdI and then switch it out when it comes time for testing, and the plug it back in. it's really easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.