Honda Prelude Forum banner
577K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  Tsx4life 
#1 ·
are you a newbie?
Too lazy to search?
Do you have a question?
Has it likely been asked before?

well you are in luck. This thread is just for YOU. Here you can post your basic questions that have been asked and answered more times than i can count and not get flamed :eek:mg:!!!!!

Please DO NOT carry on conversation in this thread and either ANSWER A QUESTION OR DO NOT POST.

I'm hoping this thread will stop some of the useless threads and unneeded flaming.

When we get a question that gets posted alot, I will update this first post with common questions and answers to them.

#2 ·
i am a newby with a 99 prelude i bought off a guy....the car was said to be in good condition and so i bought it.....well as soon as i bought it the radiator busted and the v-tech was destroyed so now i am in a mechanics class and i am the one that is stuck doing the dirty work on this car....after a few months went by i saw the guy who sold it to me and i looked at him in his face and lafed...when i told him how good the car was now that i got it

#3 ·
So what's your question? I would have tried to make him take the car back, or at least pay you for all the maintenance, since he told you the car was in good shape w/ no major problems.

#6 ·
Honestly, it all depends on the car. Some people hardly burn any, others burn a qt. about every 1000 miles or so. Just make sure you keep checking it and topping it off, and DON'T think you can wait longer to change it just b/c you top it off w/ fresh oil. If you're worried b/c you think you're burning too much, you can always do a compression and leakdown test for piece of mind.

#13 ·
honestly, if thats the only reason you want more power then i would just sell your car and buy one that is faster from the get go. doing 300-400whp the right way will cost a good bit of money and spending that money because you got beat by a mustang is a little rediculous but i understand your concerns :tongue:

You would definitely have to boost the motor. If you didnt plan on running more than 400whp, i would go the cheaper way to use forged pistons in your block and run iron pressed-in liners. Much cheaper than heavy duty iron ductile sleeves.

building a motor for a purpose is one thing, but building the motor because you lost a meaningless street race can put you in a big money pit if you dont know what your doing.

#15 ·
aluminum block with FRM (fiber reinforced metal) cylinder walls - forged pistons cannot be used unless it has a special coating on the piston skirts
ie: Mahle and JUN have H22 FRM design forged pistons

all H series blocks have FRM cylinder walls. Including the F20c and nsx motor.

f22 and f23 blocks are aluminum with iron sleeves which are able to accept a forged piston without modification to the block or pistons.

#18 ·
alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.

#21 ·
It won't hurt anything to do that, it'll just lug the engine. It's no better to accelerate slowly from low-rpm's really, but its just a bad idea in either case. It hurts your gas mileage and creates extra oil sludge. You're not gonna blow up your engine or anything if you do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's not the proper way to drive a stick. When you know revs are going to drop, or you want more acceleration, you need to downshift a gear or two.

#22 ·
I'm a noob to computer stuff and don't really know where else to post this question.

Why won't my computer play certain video's, it just comes up with a Q with a question mark in it and does'nt do anything. Like Google video for instance, it won't play anything off google just show's a blue letter Q with a question mark on it.

#953 ·
I think, the Q is from QuickTime. Looks like QuickTime is set your default video player and it does not support the format of the video you are trying to play. Try changing your default video player or try updating your QuickTime to the latest version.

#23 ·
#28 ·
all i kno is that test pipes are illegal in every state and every car should have a catalytic converter if you want ur car to pass emissions..i have a resonating test pipe(with dc headers and an evo exhaust) and personally speakin..it pisses the crap out of me.it smells like im definitely puttin a hole in the ozone,and itz too loud in the highway..i cant wait til i find an oem cat or a carsound cat..or a random technologies cat..any of those won't smell like crap or pollute or get copz on my ass for bein loud

#29 ·
o icic... but if i bought a entire catback system would tat replace my catalytic converter? or can i keep tat?

PS... i wouldnt mind putting a hole in the ozone layer... its too COLD!... there was ice covering my car all last week... and i live in freaking SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! jk

#30 ·
Well, in California I definitely wouldn't go with a testpipe. In fact, it can be hard to get away with even a high-flow cat there. I'd only go with a testpipe in states w/o an emissions check (like SC :Rock:). I don't have a cat on the SRT-4, but I plan to keep one on my Lude, as I want to get an Evo2 eventually, and don't want my car too loud or ricey sounding.

BTW, a cat-back does not replace your cat, just everything behind it.

#32 ·
That's the exhaust I want, do you have any clips of it w/ the testpipe? Did you ever have it w/ the stock cat? I plan on keeping the stock cat when I get my Evo2, until it wears out. Then, I'll most likely be going w/ a Kteller bolt-in to keep the drone down.

#33 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7MF1qaPYQ mines is pretty much like diz one here but noticeably louder..and if the sound quality was better u would notice the growling sound more..i luv dat..u notice it alot more in real life..and i did have it with the oem one..my cat died so i had to do a cheap replacement(resonatin test pipe)..soundsz great but it gets annoyin at constant 4000 rpms on highway..the oem was perfect..it growled,was enuff to set off sensitive alarms and didnt disbturb conversation in the highway.btw i've noticed dat my low end got a little worse though with the test pipe...something about back pressure..never really looked into it though

#37 ·
hi... i wanted to know of any good scratch removers on the market....the previous owner wasnt too careful with the rear bumper...

also.. how can i remove the prelude letters on the back as well as the Vtec sticker withouth damaging the paint?

thanks for the response...

#41 ·
hi... i wanted to know of any good scratch removers on the market....the previous owner wasnt too careful with the rear bumper...

The only thing I have used is "Scratch Doctor" and it seemed to work good, but only on fine or minor scratches.

also.. how can i remove the prelude letters on the back as well as the Vtec sticker withouth damaging the paint?

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255711

thanks for the response...
Read the red. :)

#40 ·
I think its sad how nowadays no one can drive a stick anymore. The guy who sold me my car didn't even tell me about my lude at first because he thought I would have wanted an auto. Its so easy once you get the hang of it. It becomes so automatic after awhile its as easy as an auto. Its so much more fun than auto. I would suggest reading the How to drive a 5 spd tutorial on this website in the articles section. I used this method on a friend of mine and it worked wonders.