Honda Prelude Forum banner

JDM GOLD TOP B20A - Ozzy Style

44K views 397 replies 42 participants last post by  2ndgenSI 
#1 · (Edited)
So I think that the title pretty much gave it away... I am proud to announce that with a little help from my auction sniper and Hayden (zoldrin), I am the proud new owner of a 1986 JDM B20A!

So the story unfolds that i was cruising ebay for any prelude like bargains and I come across an add that says "Honda prelude perfect for spare parts or fix it up". I take a look at the photo and see a dirty white grille and an overall look that was as TimO put it "a little rough".

I read the description and see it's actually got the beautiful bonnet bump and i think "it can't be - not in OZ". Next thing I know i'm texting like crazy asking for pictures of the engine and about half a day later on saturday night I get these...

Passenger side:

Aaaand Driver:

Then the heavens opened up and a voice screamed LET THERE BE LIGHT! I almost fell off my chair.

So I get on the net again and realise it's in Victoria - near Melbourne and I'm in Sydney - that's a 1200km distance for those who are curios - Instantly I get in touch with Hayden and send him some pics and we begin to devise the plan to have the first Aussie JDMB20A on the boards.

The next thing i know is Hayde's pointing out the car has the JDM door lock stickers, Auto Shifter, fog light switch, cruise control buttons and quite possibly the climate control... All evidenced by the picture of one of the most beautiful non black interiors i've seen in a while

Now I know it's a little dirty but just look at all that JDMness... Garrett take your hands out of your pants. LOL

At this stage I'm so obsessed with this car I don't even care that it's an auto - I already have an 83 manual JDM. I don't een care that it's been in a bloody shed somewhere that looks like it hasn't been cleaned since the vietnam war - I just wanted it... Here's the proof:

So I eventually didn't sleep for two days, especially since I was trying to figure out how I was going to get this car to sydney considering I'm going os for 7 weeks in a month and have a very busy month ahead... and then Hayden comes to the rescue - offers to pick up the car and store it at his place till I get back from O/S...

Now since Hayen get's to drive my beast before I do here's the gauge cluster so we can all keep an eye on the travel he does while I'm away LOL!!! No seriously I think he can drive it as much as he wants with that fantastic offer and I'm pretty sure you guys would do the same thing if someone did this for you... Still.. here's the cluster;

Now the only known faults with the car is a tranny that leaks and that it's in need of a set of rear tyres with matching tread and a battery. A bit of body work to get those inevitable rust spots off the rear window and a new front bar and B20A grille (Alex - care to help a brother out) then i've got me a new daily driver whilst I work on the black lude restoration.

I'm so dam excited I may just wet my pants... I know all you non B20A boys out there from the US, Canada, South Africa are just as excited considering you guys didn't get them there.

Now that my novel is almost complete - Sorry - I need to ask some questions about this tranny and at the risk of doing the noob thing I'm gonna just go otu there and say it - what tranny can I stick on this motor because the chances of finding a B20A in Oz is damn near impossible or would it be better to recon the one in there. Either way my head hurts and my fingers are sore from typing..

someone elses turn..

Peace
Zaahir

See less See more
#3 ·
That's right! The first ever Australian Prelude Power 2nd Gen meet and cruise will be making history in the very near future! I never thought I'd get to see a goldtop import, yet alone drive one! Needless to say, there will be photos taken. I better do some more work on my lude, and give it an outside detail...

Anybody care to fly over and join us? There will be prelude cupcakes (from GF)!

#5 ·
Thanks Maxx... Like I said int he first post.. couldn't believe my bloody eyes when I first saw it! Now I just can't wait to see it in person...
George, this will be purely stock so in all honesty i'm more excited to see how your build goies. Those SA boys now how to get power and speed out of anything.
Off to bed - Hopefully when I wake up this whole ting won't have been a dream.
Zaahir

#7 ·
can you please try and confirm something for me? You said non black interior and i see power options could you check and see if the interior code is type C please i need to know if they exist or not!! sweet find too enjoy it

#8 ·
and the grand unveil!! should be a fun project. as to your trans question......fix the one in it........you wont find a replacment in auz. no other trans will fit either.

oh and doughboy.....type c is only on carb models. they do exist but finding them is tricky

#11 ·
B20a

I'd check the inside of the rocker cover through the oil filler hole to see how clean it is inside, these engines are notorious for wearing out badly if oil services have not been strictly adhered too. As for tranny maybe if you could find a B20A tranny from a 3G accord? Or you'll have to get someone to ship one in for you with the various bits you'll need to convert to manual.

#12 ·
ahh u lucky basterd lol looks like a good project tho

#13 ·
hey wow great find im so jealous. nice please do me a favor and clean it up nicly i already cant stand that front grille hurts my eyes to look at something so grooss.

also if u have that pioneer radio plllllllleassssse let me have it please of course ill pay u for it

#16 ·
ha ha.. I was wondering how long people would take to notice that. We'll have to wait until the weekend or whenever Hayden picks it up to see just how many goodies it has in it. We have also realised there's an extra button/switch above the window buttons - perhaps heated mirrors?

Doughluder - I think your question has been answered but I'm sure it will be confirmed in due course.

Rjudgey - thanks for your wisdom mate. Always appreciated on here. Do you know if there are rebuild kits available for these tannys? If not I may have to speak to Alex about getting a manual box over from NZ once I'm back.

JDM - I will let you know but I'm pretty sure the guy said it has a cd player that comes with it.. Maybe the old Radio is still around - will have to wait and see.

I'm actually inclined to think the interior is that Dark Grey but if its black then bonus - I want to gt a look at the rear area. Hopefully the condition is as good as the front of the cabin. I'm really hoping it still has the flare near the kick panel on the passenger side.

Time to get researching on that transmission I guess.
Zaahir

#18 ·
I am leaning more towards the unit being an equaliser rather than an electronic navigator but it is difficult to be sure. I love that element of mystery. Lets hope for the navi!

TimO mentioned the weird window control panel is actually not another option but the stock JDM version for this model. They just reconfigured it a bit -- I think a drivers/pass window lock selector or something is at the top? Or was it driver/pass mirror adjust selector -- TimO knows...

I still believe it is dirty black interior after having my own (previously) dirty blck interior.

#20 ·
zaaihir im so happy for u. besides alex im the most experenced knowledge on the jdm si ba1 please any ?S u want to know or know wat something does ask me. i feel honored when u ask.
to answer this ? just how many goodies it has in it. We have also realised there's an extra button/switch above the window buttons - perhaps heated mirrors?
no sadly its not heated mirrors i dont think any 2nd gens came with heated mirrors at least defantly not the jdm ba1 . but that button it locks the passenger window so that ur passenger cant put down the window. it says on and off and main

#22 ·
Does this mean that there may have been a B20 that snuck through the North America? If you found one down there, maybe, just maybe there is one or more here.

Can I win the lottery like you did? Keeping my eyes open.....

#25 ·
Stangrcr1 Does the car when you are dirt racing have to be stock for usdm? Or does it not count as stock if you swap motors? I would think it would be worth it for you to import a B20A and tranny for the extra horsepower and revs.
Must be stock USDM. I have already swapped out the 85 BT for an 87 A20A3, but that is legal. Since the B20a was technically never offered here, I can't run it. I want it for a driver.

I was just on Ebay and there is one there for $1100.

#26 · (Edited)
Nice find, are you going to tidy it up and get it on the road

Just to clear up a few things,

Looks like this has the standard equalizer as only the JDM base model cars came with the electronic navigator not the Si.

Also looks as if this car has auto climate control,

Would have (or used to have) power folding foglights i should think like my one,

The interior on JDM Si's is always off black not black

Those window switches are the factory JDM Si switches there are a few other bits that are different around the car here and there.

As for the front bar and grill i have spares if your going to put it back on the road its probably best to reserect your front bar as that will be expensive to ship,

I also have a spare B20 Manual box if you want that cause these cars RULE manual auto just sucks I would suggest a manual conversion as your first modification.

#27 ·
You are god-like, Alex! I'm glad you are on board to help out being a neighboring-countryman. This project will bring pride to Australia!

I suspected it was an Equaliser and not a Navi. The Navi's I've seen certainly looks a bit different to that in the photo. But as I said, I couldn't be sure from the photo quality.

Shame it is off-black, but still very cool indeed. I did not know that about the jdm SIs. Perhaps the interior isn't as dirty as I thought ;-)

First mod should be a jdm front grille then manual conversion :-D

#30 ·
Indeed - there will be a couple of mini meets over the course of the next few months although I fear it will likely be a gathering of two just like TimO and DoughLuder...

Did some ringing around today and may have located a manual transmission on the other side of the country. Either way I'm sure Alex will look after me when the time is right.

First things first and that's collecting the lude which will likely happen over this weekend - really depends on Hayden and when he can get there.

Anyway, I'd better getting craking on the other project I have for the xx....

#33 ·
Ha ha.. Thanks mate.. I kept this very quiet and only noticed on one little dirty bonnet photo that it had a bulge and when I investigated realised there was a gold top in it.

I spoke to a few wreckers who all said they used to import them but haven't seen any in a while.

plan is to make this a bit of an Aus first on the boards...

Don't know if I've asked yet mate but what's the deal - have you got a Turboed 86 or what? If Hayden comes up to Sydney we can have a Aussie 2 gen mini meet.... 3 people.. yeah!

#34 ·
dude u need to do a minor restro on it. its too beautiful not to>

ps i think its been in a wreck that would explain the saggin bumber and mis match grille and paint. i cant stop lookin at it. iv looked at the details aand i c navigation in there

#35 ·
dude u need to do a minor restro on it. its too beautiful not to>

ps i think its been in a wreck that would explain the saggin bumber and mis match grille and paint. i cant stop lookin at it. iv looked at the details aand i c navigation in there

Yeah I've been told it had slow moving bump at the front with no structural damage - just the grille was replaced and a crappy respray on the bumper. It is definitely my intention to give it good cut and polish with my lambswool polisher and then see what it looks like. If necessary I will respray it to the original colour myself or I'll do touchups where necessary.

You are just like me - I can't stop looking at the pics but I think that there's only an equaliser :sad: If you look closely to the right side of the equaliser through the steering wheel there's a couple of switch looking things that to me look more like equaliser features.

Zaahir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.