Honda Prelude Forum banner

Synchrotech Carbon Synchros/Rebuild Kit

19K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  JDMB21AW4 
#1 ·
I have a JDM h22a with a M2B4 trans swap in my 94 integra :eek:mg: not a LUDE! Anyways I bought the car already swapped but without a reverse gear. I also noticed driving it home to Pa from NC that it liked to grind going into 5th gear. So I pretty much immediately realized that the 5th/R sleeve set was pretty much shot. Having never rebuilt a transmission before I looked into prices of used M2B4's without much avail. Then I looked into prices of having somebody rebuild it for me which was way out of my price range. So I started my search for a rebuild kit. Synchrotech has lots of good reviews over at my home forum of teamintegra.net so I called them up and decided to give their stuff a try. I bought a basic rebuild kit with carbon/moly coated synchros and a new 5th/R sleeve set.
The 5th/R sleeve set was $120 (I think, I'll have to double check the reciept)

The rebuild kit with carbon synchros was $350. It came with all OEM bearings, OEM seals, OEM 5th/R sleeve set, 1st-5th carbon/moly coated synchos, all the springs. Basically everything that wears in a transmission. All the parts were in new packaging, they were shipped in individual baggies and in a lot of peanuts to prevent the parts from ruining one another during shipping. While I was rebuilding it I ran into a few technical problems (because of being a noob at this) and gave the guys at synchrotech a call or two. They were always very eager to walk me through things or give me advice. Whatever I needed. Everything fit perfectly. There were 3 things that I needed in addition to what I ordered to finish my rebuild. The kit didn't come with hondabond or MTF which I obviously expected it not to come with so this was no shocker. The one part that I did have to order was a shim from honda. There are something like 25 different shim part numbers from honda and you have to assemble the shafts and mock it up and measure and do some math to get the shim thickness then order the appropriate shim. It was only a dollar or two for the shim from the dealer. Other than these things it was a complete kit. After reassembling, I took it for a test drive and it shifts like butter. Amazing feel so smooth and easy. Still 4 months later it shifts like the day I took it for a test drive. Carbon synchros are supposed to shift smoother and last longer while taking a beating than non-coated brass synchros. So far they are holding up very well.

In conclusion, I highly recommend synchotech for all of your transmission needs. They have OEM products at a fraction of the dealer's price, and their carbon synchros are great.

If you have any questions about this product I will do my best to answer it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I got the same kit for my 5th gen, I couldnt be happier. I called Dave so many times while I was rebuilding it and he was always extremely helpful and very knowledgeable.

I had to replace my 1-2 synchro sleeve while I was in there, it was totally shot lol.

Great learning experience for me and having all the parts I needed right there, as well as great tech support over the phone, was awesome. 2 thumbs up from me

#10 ·
You wont know until you get the transmission open. If you're doing a basic rebuild and all the gears are ok, then this kit is all you need. However, if your transmission is like most H22 trannies (mainly due to lots of miles) then the synchro teeth on the gears and/or synchro hubs are probably worn and you may need to replace one or the other. But, like I said, you wont know until you take it apart.

If you havent done any transmission work before, I HIGHLY suggest you have the factory service manual present for reference. It was incredibly helpful for me and I've taken apart quite a few transmissions

#11 · (Edited)
You wont know until you get the transmission open. If you're doing a basic rebuild and all the gears are ok, then this kit is all you need. However, if your transmission is like most H22 trannies (mainly due to lots of miles) then the synchro teeth on the gears and/or synchro hubs are probably worn and you may need to replace one or the other. But, like I said, you wont know until you take it apart.

If you havent done any transmission work before, I HIGHLY suggest you have the factory service manual present for reference. It was incredibly helpful for me and I've taken apart quite a few transmissions
thx bro am not going to do it my self as i dont want to get stuck some where ill get it to my mechanic, all that i need is to know the exact parts, i started to get shifting problem since i missed 3'd gear n now its like grinding while shifting specially on fifth gear and some times it dosnt shift to reverse i know it got something to do with the synchro but i want to rebuild it all in one time am going to open it any way right !

#12 ·
Hello

When you hear such positive feedbacks about a product like the Synchrotech Carbon Synchros Rebuild Kit which he had brought and fitted in his car and turned out be a real success, you can also confidently buy them without second thought –as they are so much cheaper than when you buy it from the dealers!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.