Honda Prelude Forum banner

JTC Customs Short Shifter - 4th Gen

18K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  NC92preludeSi 
#1 ·
Hey guys this is my first time ever writing a review of a product so bear with me lol.

So I spent the past two weeks anxiously awaiting my JTC customs short shifter. I was in the first lot shipped out in the group buy and all I can say is it is well worth the $108.30.

Heres some pictures I took during and after the install:

The install was surprisingly easy for someone who has never taken a shift rod out before I was able to do it no problem with no guide or instructions. If you have any questions about the install you can PM me because that's not what this section is about. :wink:

Took me about two hours in total to install and afterwards I immediately noticed an enormous difference.

Literally the first thing I said to myself when I shifted into first was "Holy sh#t, I'm already in gear?!"

Not only is the shift truly the 70% shorter stated in the advertisement it is so much smoother. It makes the shift feel more like that of a high end sports car rather than a 15 year old honda.

Keep in mind that my only experience with another shifter is the stock shifter so I wouldn't use this as a comparison vs the forbidden short shifter or anything but I would recommend this to anyone who loves their prelude as it makes it twice as fun to drive.

Mine still needs a little grease and a new shift boot to perfect it but overall I give this product a 10/10

This is easily one of my favorite mods to my car and defiantly the best for the price paid for it.

:wave:

See less See more
Reactions: Fadeintobluelude
#3 ·
Yeah I did kinda have to muscle it on at the end. It's still got like two threads left but that didn't really bother me it's not moving either way lol

#10 ·
Good. You want your shifter to be firm and not spin on you. Extra threads being left will not hurt anything.

Thanks guys! Im glad everyone has been happy with it so far. Let me know if you have any issues at all, just shoot me an email and Ill get it fixed. Im getting a little worried since Ive had no one complain or run into any real issues yet.

#8 ·
nah it's an axle back exhaust key chain lmao

#17 ·
The shift knob fits fine, but the lock nut doesnt? Hmmm... I wonder if the locknut uses a 1.25 mm thread pitch instead.. Do you mind sending me a picture of what is not fitting so maybe we can get it to look good and work just as good.

my only problem is my boot still wont clip onto my shift knob lol, its both stock
pm sent. should fix this easy.

#18 ·
So I have a little anecdote for my review...

So I gt the shifter installed and before i put the console back together i decided to take it around the block. I had it in the middle setting and just going around the block I was very impressed with how short and smooth the shift was. I got back to my garage and said to my self " Im gonna try it on the top one and if i dont jizz in my pants over it im nt gonna bother with the notching" after i got back from my second trip around i needed to change my boxors. nuf said

#22 ·
ordered a few weeks ago.. .. must say customer service is great, not the quickest replies, but very friendly and correct! good communication!

It will be a while before i can test it, but will let you all know
i can also compare it (if i have time) to a OEM, OEM + adapter and FM one as i have them available.

keep up the good work Tommy!!

#23 · (Edited)
OK my friend has fitted and tested the SS!

Very pleased. installation was easy and no problems at all.
the both had to modify the shiftboot a bit but the center console is not in the way.
We also noticed its slightly shorter than the origional gear stick.. and we decided to use the shifter extender to compensate .

the throw is much shorter than OEM.. even with the extender on it!

this is a great value for money product! thanx again Tommy! :wave:

#24 · (Edited)
The little ball that goes in the black box came off last night and now I can't drive my car until I have time to reinstall the stock shifter... apparently this happened to a few people and Tommy has been replacing them (he also did a redesign to prevent the problem on future products).

EDIT: Just wanted to say Tommy responded within hours and we are working on a solution. He's making sure to make it right, and I appreciate it greatly!

I still recommend buying this shifter.

#25 ·
Got my new shifter yesterday and installed it today.. great service, fast shipping, and another good (better!) product. Test drove it and it seems good as gold. Tommy stands by his product and goes out of his way to make sure things work out like they are supposed to... I highly recommend getting this... and you 5th genners suck for not buying his 5th gen shifter... WTF is wrong with you people!?

I followed JTC's install instructions.. they worked out good as well; here's a message I sent him because he sent me these instructions WHILE I was installing, lol (I told him I would not have time today...)

"Looks like I would not have had to take the retaining clips off... they were a bitch. But then again I liked taking the base all the way out so I could make sure to get everything good and tight (I just followed your directions, but I did take the cotter pin like thing out of the part that attaches to the linkage so I could take the whole base out... I didn't see that in you instructions, but otherwise they worked out fine.)"
took me a little under an hour. my wife helped a bit with the reinstall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.