Honda Prelude Forum banner

Fidanza 8lb fly wheel and Fidanza 4.3 Clutch

9K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  prelude_92 
#1 ·
the flywheel is one of the best upgrades i would say you could do to your car along with a good clutch, your low end acceleration is bumped up a lot. i went from running a 15.3 to a 14.8 with the clutch flywheel and some new neogen tires.

#5 ·
Umm well I'm still kinda a noob with cars and I got my 1992 Prelude like 2 1/2 months ago so still learning here but while lower the wight on ur fly wheel is a good thing for racing at the same time wouldnt you lug arong town. This is just what I was told by my father. He said that the fly wheel is what keeps ur car going. Somthing about using inertia or somthing

#6 ·
No, you don't "lug around towm" lol. The only thing is while your motor revs a lil faster, the RPM's also decrease faster because of less inertia.

#20 · (Edited)
ya deffinitely X2!

the flywheel has everything to do with it stalling on its own. it has alot less inertia to it. and hes not talking about it just sitting in neutral and it stalling out, but coming to a stop (ie clutch in, and the rpms dropping down alot) and having the rpms drop to far, to fast to where it stalls out.
This is false and will not happen. I have a 11.5lb flywheel and mine has never, or even came close to stalling. The only time youll stall is when you start driving the car cause you're not used to the sensitivity. Unless your car idles at 200-300 rpms you shouldnt have any problems with stalling out when you put the clutch in. End of story.

#21 ·
thank you! there are a lot of misconceptions around when it comes to lighter flywheels. If people took the time to fully understand the physics of it, and more importantly how a flywheel/clutch works then they would realize a lot of what is said around isnt true. although i guess that can be said of a lot of car parts.

#22 ·
i used to have the fidanza 8lb flywheel too and i never had a problem with the car stalling at lights. from time to time the car would stall if i was parking in a tight space and i hit the brakes at the exact same moment i hit the steering lock. that was the only time i had an issue with the car stalling and it was only because there was just a little too much load hitting the motor all at once and it did not have the intertia to compensate for it.

#23 ·
I have the fidenza 8lb flywheel and an F1 racing stage 2 clutch. its a great package. The Flywheel really wakes the engine up at lower revs. It gets into vtec a lot faster, but you gotta be fast on your shifts or it will fall out of vtec range. The clutch grabs nicely with no chatter, and doesn't feel much heavier than the stock one did. If you find yourself wanting a little more pickup without having to spend a mint a lightened flywheel and a good clutch is well worth the money.

#24 ·
OMFG, sorry but u guys aren't getting what Legitluda's asking. U guys seem to think he's talking about when the clutch is engaged. When you're coming to a stop, and you have your clutch disengaged, or you're just in neutral. So at this point your RPMS have nothing to do with the motion of your wheels, and your RPMs are going to drop to idle (700rpms if you guys are talking about H22). Now he's asking since the flywheel is lighter, when the RPMs are dropping (in neutral, or clutch disengaged) will it cause the RPMs to drop a little too much momentarily or to the point where it stalls ocasionally. NOW, I thought his question was reasonable, but I'm gona say no just because I never heard of any problem like that, and I don't think the weight reduction will cause the rpms to drop too low. Acutally that sounds like something that would happen if you have too heavy of a flywheel. IT just bothered me that no one was getting what he was really asking.

#25 ·
Wow. I really started something up about 6 months ago sorry guys. Now that I know a little more about cars since than I've done some research. Though my father says else. Basicly a Flywheel is just another name for a piece of round steel for the Clutch be able to grab. My father says the fly wheel is used to keep the pistons going I guess lol. I told him all the pistons weight and crank and everything else is what makes the engine go round and round.

As for the idle dropping down to far. And somehow you cant figure it out. Just turn that little screw on the side or your manifold on the right side of the car. Or tighten up your throtle cable. Its simple.

#26 ·
sry i kinda lost track of this thread, no i dont lug around town, yes it feels lighter, it about about $500 for both, the clutch once broken in requires some good foot work, no downshifting with out rev matching or doing the heel toe, its an awesome set up, on good tires i can bark 3rd.. i went from 15.1 with I/E to 14.8 at the track with this flyhwheel.

#28 ·
i can also vouch for this set up. 8lb and 4.3...i've had it on my car for about 3 years now, and it still grabs like no tomorrow...definitely recommended for anyone really trying to do some fancy footwork...it does take some getting used to, but once you learn how to use this set up, it feels amazing...you can definitely feel your power being put to use with every hard shift

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.