Honda Prelude Forum banner

Meguiars Brilliant Solutions Paint Restoration Kit

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Armystrong 
#1 ·
Okay so the Redonkulara has been rather neglected and after allllll this time working on the engine, brakes, and suspension restoring them to decent functionality; I figure the paint is the next step

So I gave her a base wash with some cheapy cheapy Meguiars wash just to clean off the dirt that must've been on there for YEARS.

Post wash

The pics aren't the greatest but you might be able to spot some dirt on the front bumper still. I soaped her 3 times and she still has some ingrain stains.

Used the 2 bucket method of course and by the time I was done, before the wheels, I had crude oil in those buckets it was that bad.

But anyways I deviate. I was researching for a good, real bang for the buck cleaning solution that would help get that white restored to it's brilliance.

So here I am looking through various detailing websites when I stumble across this kit by Meguiars.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-restoration-kit.html

Their "Brilliant Solution Paint Restoration kit" and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Hell for only 28 bucks it seemed like a steal

I was going to buy it from said website but the shipping was outrageous so I get to googling and find out that the walmart next town over has the kits for 22 bucks!

So I go and pick it up.

The Kit includes:

16 oz. Meguiars Gold Class Wash
25 g. Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Bar
8.5 oz. Meguiars Quik Detailer
10 oz Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Meguiars Soft Foam Applicator Pad
Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber towel
6 oz Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus
Meguiars Soft Foam Applicator Pad
Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber towel

And I was planning on using it today but this fucking rain is messing with my shit so it's going to wait till either tomorrow or friday.

This will be my first time ever using a kit like this and I hope it does the trick. I'll be sure to take plenty of before and afters.

See less See more
#3 ·
You should be okay. I clay barred mine twice with the same piece. It came up great both times. I still have one bar left and plenty of the spray detailer left over too. :)

#5 ·
No I just used the meguires clay bar kit. The bar in your kit looks to be about the same size as what came with mine.

#11 ·
That Ultimate Compound stuff is good even on it's own. It's harsh enough that you see results without spending a whole lotta time, but gentle enough that you won't completely ruin your paint (if it's in good shape) if you're new to polishing and buffing.

#12 ·
If you just want to clean your car, the kit should get the job done. Not really sure what the point of including compound in the kit is though. That's for removing deep swirls and light scratches, which you really can't do by hand. You could spend 2 hours buffing 1 panel with the ultimate compound and one of those foam applicators and still not make a dent in the swirls. You really need a machine polisher for the compound to do much of anything.

#14 ·
Looking at buying that compound to use with a RO polisher, I already will be using Meguiar's Deep Crystal Wet Look Wax Cleaner - paint hasnt been touched in about 4 years shortly of normal washing.

Will that compound be harsh enough to strip back a fair bit of abuse?

#15 ·
Should be. That particular compound breaks down pretty quickly though, so you'll use quite a bit.

It's what I used the first time I detailed my 'lude after I bought it. It wouldn't remove some of the bad water spots on my spoiler and trunk lid, but it took out all the swirls and shallow scratches pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.