Honda Prelude Forum banner

Troubleshooting: Oil light + Battery Light + Car won't start

141K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  contactusapanierdess 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know the battery light means something wrong with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.)

When the oil light blinks, I know it usually means low oil. Constant light = something more serious like low oil pressure, something wrong with the oil pressure sending unit.

_

Now, the car was running fine the day before etc. The oil level was spot on between the two holes on the dipstick, so there was no problem. The alternator was replaced 1/2 year ago. The battery was replaced tonight.

Now, I tried to start the car this morning, and the car won't crank over. When I turn the key, it just hangs there - no cranking. The fuel pump is priming engaging when turned to the on position. I tried jumping the battery for a few minutes, and it seemed like there was no spark to help it crank. Headlights and all electronics seem to work great and get good juice.

Why would the battery light and oil light come on at the same time? Can anyone shed light on this?

Could it be a starter problem?
Main relay?

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for that input. So when the prelude is on the "ON" position, the battery + oil light stay on. I was afraid because all the other lights on the right hand side (ABS, ATTS, Keylight) all went away. Thanks.

edit: What lights do actually stay on when in the "on" position?

#5 ·
once, this happened to me. my main fuel system's wiring had some of it's insulation rubbed off, causing a small short to the side of the transmission case somewhere. since it's on a 50A fuse it wasnt actually opening the circuit, becuase the draw wasnt large enough. it was enough current to heat up that wire, and all the surrounding wires enough to cook them all open. eventually, i made an insurance claim out of the whole deal, and got the parts that caught fire replaced, but all the shit that started the fire was on my head.

what i'm getting at is that my oil and battery light came on when this was happening. they seemed to be on "dim" for some unknown reason as well. for the sake of your wallet, i hope this isnt your issue. just throwing it out there, though.

#8 ·
I know the battery light means something wrong with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.)

I know the when the oil light is blinking, it usually means low oil. constant light = something more serious like low oil pressure, something wrong with the oil pressure sending unit.

_________

Now, the car was running fine the day before etc. The oil level was spot on between the two holes on the dip stick, so no problem there. The alternator was replaced 1/2 year ago. The battery was replaced tonight.

Now, I tried to start the car this morning and the car won't crank over at all. When i turn the key, it just hangs there - no cranking. The fuel pump is priming engaging when turned to the on position. I tried jumping the battery for a few minutes and seems like there is no spark what so ever to help it crank. Headlights and all electronics seem like they are working great and getting good juice.

Why would the battery light and oil light come on at the same time? Can anyone shed light on this?

could it be a starter problem?
Main relay?
well if the car wont start it will always have those lights on, is yours an automatic or a 5 spd? and does the clutch feel like its kind of spongy? if it is you have an air bubble in ur clutch line, then youll need to bleed it if you want me too ill do a write up on it, happened to my buddies lude a couple weeks ago.

#10 ·
yea check that ur muffler bearings, ur halogen and blinker fluid, and if ur 2nd transmission is going bad you might lose 1st,3rd n 5th. if the wheels from the left side are on the right thats bad you better hope the front arent on the back :butbut: cuz one pot hole and whamo!! all your tires will blow out, even if you only hit the hole with one tire. and for the muffler bearings go with titanium 367 bearings, and with a super rubber guard gaasket, dont forget to run the oil lines and coolant lines to keep ur muffler from over heating, and losing ur bearings cuz if u do that cylinder 3 and 4 will throw the rods and its a big mess....

#12 ·
I don't think it's the clutch, the clutch feels good and was working good the day before. I really think it's the starter. I'm at work right now and i'm going to check when I get home. Does anyone know the major ground points to check for (battery to chassis, transmission ground, engine block ground - are there any other major ones i should check for?).

I've also read that you can tap on the starter to see it "jumps" it. I'm going to try to pull out the starter tonight and bring it to a Pep boys to get tested - that or jump the starter directly from the battery to see if it cranks.

Btw, I have a 98 Type SH 5 speed. :)

Any info on how common the immobilizer might be a problem to starting the car?

#13 ·
Just got back inside. Took a hammer, hit the starter a few times and it started working. Looks like the contacts in the starter or some internal issues were going on. I pulled it out in about 40 minutes and i'm going to get another tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.

#15 ·
Cokinut like I said if your oil light is blinking that is really bad. Check your oil levels, and if they are ok, ask a mechanic to check your oil pressure. A blinking oil light means that oil pressure is too low, or dropped suddenly to levels below operation standards.

#17 ·
sorry, forgot to update - when the car started, the oil light + battery light went off. just like ludeacts stated, those 2 lights come on on the on position. I feel like a newb because i've never actually paid attention to those lights when leaving the ignition in the on position. I'm going to install a new starter and see how that goes. I found it funny that you hitting the starter with a hammer actually does work. hah. Thanks for all your help.

#18 ·
Sometimes the internals of the starter jam up, and hitting it may loosen them. As for the oil light it's only supposed to be solid when you turn the ignition on, if it blinks i'd be suspicious of something. If your oil light blinks while driving, pull it over ASAP, seizing your engine is not something to take a chance with.

Weird, seize and weird are exceptions to the i before e rule. I knew about weird, but seize? really?

#20 ·
I know the battery light means something wrong with the charging system (alternator, battery, etc.) When the oil light blinks, I know it usually means low oil. Constant light = something more serious like low oil pressure, something wrong with the oil pressure sending unit. _ Now, the car was running fine the day before etc. The oil level was spot on between the two holes on the dipstick, so there was no problem. The alternator was replaced 1/2 year ago. The battery was replaced tonight. Now, I tried to start the car this morning, and the car won't crank over. When I turn the key, it just hangs there - no cranking. The fuel pump is priming engaging when turned to the on position. I tried jumping the battery for a few minutes, and it seemed like there was no spark to help it crank. Headlights and all electronics seem to work great and get good juice. Why would the battery light and oil light come on at the same time? Can anyone shed light on this? Could it be a starter problem? Main relay?
I have the same exact problem with my Honda Element 03 it was working fine and then the next day it just stopped I've looked online and I haven't found any solution yet...