Honda Prelude Forum banner

k20a2 swap?

Tags
swaps
18K views 247 replies 37 participants last post by  trowe2 
#1 ·
does this sound like a god idea for a 3rd gen... i found a cheap k series swap only thing missing are rods and piston $800 for the motor its got a goldish orange valve color, some internal parts micro polish... imkinda stuck on figuring out the swap price tho my mechanic will pretty much swap any jap motor for $1000 done right. I just dont know where to start to make the swap relatively easy for us. I figure it would look and sick and it a possible 260hp stock with a few bolt ons ?????????? any ideas any1 is it even worth it considering im spending a little under 2000 on suspension(i bought ksports and now i want poly everything) it Runs on Premium. its the rsx type s motor .yup type s... its not some base model shiv lol... motor heads can eat me alive about how dumb i am...pumpkin:pumpkin:

#95 ·
88SE will make fun of you for implying that the people who drive those cars were married and thus created widows by wrecking their cars. Its a never ending battle

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

#98 ·
LOL ^^^

Anyways, I like to make these comments and call cars widow makers. I for one would love a classic 911. I totally understand where you're coming form so no offense taken since no offense was meant my fellow luder.

#101 ·
it was an 80's 911 that came with a large(ish) turbo on it. boost came on late and very strong, usually after the apex of a turn, causing the porche to slide out. which is exactly where porches were the strongest, exiting a turn.

Am I smart now?

#102 ·
Never been in a turbo 911, back when I was shopping for a 944 and hung around my buddies with their 944's that's when I learned what turbo lag really was. It's a love hate thing for me. All in all, it's a great feeling. I love porsches.

#103 ·
My dad had a 944 (he insists it was a 924 but he's wrong) when I was younger. All I remember really about it was it was red, had a cool looking gas cap, cleaning the spoiler drains with a coathanger every so often, and the only thing that really mattered was that it said porsche.

I wish he would have kept it, unfortunately he powered around a corner with my mom in the car and within the next week it was gone forever. I think he's still upset she made him get rid of it.

#111 ·
Driving a sirocco, which is basically a fast delorean, I have to let you know that the flux capacitor was not what allowed the garbage run, it supplied the necessary 1.21 Gw of electricity required for time travel. What you are thinking of is the Mr. fusion.

#109 ·
love where this thread went very cool i really got a whole lot of nothing going here... but yea im just gonna h22 i was thinking blue top 97+ prelude but well see what i can afford still trying to buy a fucking 3rd gen to put it in haha got fresh rims and tires, ksports, wheel spacers,some drilled and slotted rotors, low dust pads. just need poly bushing and some strut bars also i want that little bar that goes across the back windows porlly gonna save for brakes i want the wilwood frnt and rear for looks till i can afford the turbo but thats on next summers list of things i found a super clean lude tho if all ends well ill post pics in this thread after i buy it..... its fuking $3600.... im trying to get him to bring it down its red 4ws and still perfect original paint as well as original owner he has the purchase recipt from 1992 and unmolested only problem is if i spend 3600 i wont b able to afford a swap after the poly bushing purchase. but its to clean to just let go...:oops: is this face embarresed or making a bowel movement idk haha

#112 ·
Seems this thread wont die. :) On a related note here is an old post I made in another K swap thread:

MustardCat said:
Ok I made a basic cad drawing of a K20 and 3G bay, side view. Here is each of them labeled:

Here I've set it in the bay for hood clearance. Remember the hood dips in the middle so I can't have it all the way up, it would probably have to be mounted slightly lower in reality. The filter will probably interfere with the rear subframe. The oil pan will hang lower than the crossmember by at least 2.25":

Here it is mouted for similar ground clearance as the B20a, custom hood territory. Filter will probably still hit the rear subframe:

Here I've tilted it back another 10 degrees:

#117 ·
Yerp, oil filter relocate is easy, use ITBs instead of that big intake manifold, dry sump, bespoke exhaust manifold/header.
As long as the driveshafts can be lined up the rest might work.... obviously a bonnet bulge would be needed but that could be done.

Still don't think it'll happen though... if I win the lottery I will do it just for the hell of it.....

sidenote: I don't play the lottery.

#119 ·
Torque doesn't matter? All else being equal a 200HP car that revs to 8k with 120lb-ft of torque will always lose to a 200HP car that revs to 8k with 180lb/ft of torque.

88SE races on enough tracks to tell you that there is no way that you can be high enough in the powerband at all times that torque doesn't matter. And if you were you'd be shifting so much it would negate the affects.

Even for a road race car a broad powerband is desired. What "Torque doesn't matter guy" is saying is hogwash. The car with more torque will also get to higher revs more quickly than the one with less. Sigh... Torque doesn't matter, if that's the case we wouldn't be able to keep up with more powerful cars. Torque doesn't matter, really?

And there's also the weight issue. With more weight, you need more torque. That's why many heavier cars have v6's, or v8's. Usually get the "We don't need torque" argument from the civic guys.

#120 ·
88SE races on enough tracks to tell you that there is no way that you can be high enough in the powerband at all times that torque doesn't matter. And if you were you'd be shifting so much it would negate the affects.
I'll add a caveat to that comment...
I am a firm believer that torque isn't as important with one proviso..
You have the perfect gearing for every occasion.

I used to run/race two strokes so in that case torque was irrelevant, it was what you did with it that was important.

Now runnig nmy car I can be as quick as much more powerful cars because I have a very nice torque/power curve and can use it.

The cars I race are highly strung ITRs where I have to alter gearing to make best use of that high revving nature.

Torque does matter as in our world we can't choose a different set of gears for each situation.

#121 ·
Exactly. I try to explain that to people all the time. Had a long discussion with a guy my freshman year in college because he learned in an automotive class about gearing. He was telling people that they should consider changing the gearing before they spend money on other mods. Had to explain that unless you were done changing the amount of power the car has changing the gearing would be counter productive because a significant increase in power or torque would make those ultra short gears useless. (Can't believe that was almost 6 years ago....)

#126 ·
^^^ You're the one who brought it up buddy.

On another note. I mean a K20 is a cool engine, they're not bad to work on either, I've done some small work on a few k24s. There were a few k swapped 4th gens I believe and some 5th gens too. The bay in a 3rd gen is cramped enough how it is, why make it worse? I would hate to have to drop the motor to do one repair, or take off excessive amounts of parts.

#127 · (Edited)
You guys....

It will not fit without a custom replacement rear subframe for the engine bay and a custom hood.

ITB's, filter relocation???

Come on, none of you who are talking about this can afford the H swap, so why talk about a myth if you dont have anything to back it up?

At the cost of being different and dramatically changing the physical looks of the 3GP hood? Not worth it. I estimate that the swap parts just to get a K20 in there and make work will cost around $3500, and thats not including the engine, wire harness, tranny, and other miscellaneouse parts.

Sorry, its all just a pipe dream, but we all like dreams right??? :laugh:

#129 ·
You guys....

It will not fit without a custom replacement rear subframe for the engine bay and a custom hood.

ITB's, filter relocation???

Come on, none of you who are talking about this can afford the H swap, so why talk about a myth if you dont have anything to back it up?

At the cost of being different and dramatically changing the physical looks of the 3GP hood? Not worth it. I estimate that the swap parts just to get a K20 in there and make work will cost around $3500, and thats not including the engine, wire harness, tranny, and other miscellaneouse parts.

Sorry, its all just a pipe dream, but we all like dreams right??? :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.