Honda Prelude Forum banner
577K views 5K replies 1K participants last post by  Tsx4life 
#1 ·
are you a newbie?
Too lazy to search?
Do you have a question?
Has it likely been asked before?

well you are in luck. This thread is just for YOU. Here you can post your basic questions that have been asked and answered more times than i can count and not get flamed :eek:mg:!!!!!

Please DO NOT carry on conversation in this thread and either ANSWER A QUESTION OR DO NOT POST.

I'm hoping this thread will stop some of the useless threads and unneeded flaming.

When we get a question that gets posted alot, I will update this first post with common questions and answers to them.

#4,945 ·
Noob to prelude power and proud owner. Picked up a 2001 auto lude from a customer who did not want to repair head gasket. Of course, after repair, I only drove it a few thousand miles before tranny gave out. Just did a swap to an accord manual. At the end of the process, I discover the half shafts I have are wrong. Does anyone have a manual half shaft laying around

#4,946 ·
The axles originally on the car will work, but you need to replace the intermediate half shaft (The one that goes into the transmission and bolts to the engine block).

#4,947 ·
I read some years ago General Motors thought 1 quart of oil every 500 miles is fairly normal. Remember also that leaks, even small leaks, have a contributing effect. Also driving style, type of oil, and the engine itself, since manufacturing calls for a certain tolerance-+ or- (plus or minus so many thousandths of an inch. They're not exactly balanced and clearanced from the factory. Some engines are definitely better than others.

#4,948 ·
Hello, I just bought a 2001 Prelude BB6 type sh, Type S interior, Type S intake, Type S wing, Type S steering, and a bunch of other stuff. I work at an autobody shop and this is only the 2nd prelude the shop has had since 2003. I bought it crashed for 1k with 90k miles and just redone timing belt and water pump and today guy came with a box of stuff he had with the car (rear stablilizer, a bunch of spare interior parts, headlights, etc.) anyways to the point he gave me 3 sets of emblems, one of which was the red filled JDM emblems, Only one of them was in here, and I don't know how to tell if it it's front or back, or if it doesn't matter

#4,951 ·
Hi guys, i have a 2001 prelude, so if I want to get a set of new Coilovers to replace my prelude original shock + springs. Can I still maintain the stoch height (exact height of the original shock + spring) of the car with the new Coilovers? And also can i make the height higher than original height? Any help would be appreciated.

#4,952 ·
It depends on the coilover, but I remember someone saying the max height is usually an inch lower than stock.

#4,954 ·
So what Coilover would you recommend that can have the same height as stock and gives Comfortable ride for daily driving on the street?
I only have experience with KSport, so other people will need to chime in. Like I said in my previous post, you likely won't find a coilover system that does anything less than a 1-inch drop at it's highest setting. The more expensive coilover systems can provide a more comfortable ride than the cheap systems, but overall, coilover systems have stiffer springs. They can be comfortable, but they won't be as soft as stock.

Why are you so stuck on staying at the stock height? The minimum drop of most coilover systems won't be very noticeable.

#4,956 ·
Can someone help me please? (new to forum) BUYING 1998 Honda Prelude

So I'm buying this 1998 Honda Prelude manual transmission. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out like what kind of things should I look for or things to say to lower the price? The car has 193,000km and it's for $1200. I was talking to the person and here are the things that she told me:

-No engine problems, no leaks

-Timing belt and water pump have never been changed (I was thinking since I work as a tire tech at this shop, I can just buy it and replace it for cheap from discount and my mechanic could help me out)

-Eventually will need new windshield

-Need to change one headlight (not right away)

-Little bit of rust on right rear fender

That's all she told me so far and I'm supposed to look at the car tomorrow to check the rest but I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out on what kind of things to check and how to lower the price eventually. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

Edit: Sorry I don't really know where to post this

#4,957 ·
Little late on this...Don't go cheap on a timing belt job. Honda parts are highly recommended.

Unless it's leaking a ton of oil or you notice a very poor condition interior etc. - you get what you pay for. With that mileage and the start of rust, 1,000 tops. You're looking at 500 for the headlight, timing belt and seals at the least

#4,960 ·
I have just bought a 5th gen prelude with a build date of 11/96 and the VIN seems to say the car was one of the first 200 off the production line.

Do the really early cars have any problems? The manual feels a little weird going into 1st but not clunky. Also mine has the f22z6 (aus spec SI) and i was wondering if parts etc are the same between that and other F series engines.

#4,961 ·
Unfortunately the AU members are far and few between here. You may have better luck with preludeaustralia.com - depending on how active they are anymore. That motor was an Australian only option if i'm not mistaken.

#4,962 ·
Hello all!! Noob to ludes here. I picked up a 1998 Prelude with an H23a swap, intake, headers, cat back exhaust with test pipe... I am looking to do some engine modifications and ultimately boost it. I have done a search for boosted preludes etc. But I haven't been able to narrow it down after about an hour of searching for a really good guide to someone who has a build thread of a seriously built h23a motor. If someone can point me into the direction of a thread that would be great! I am really looking forward to my build. Also loved the preludes and really excited to eventually boost it with this motor swap but I want to build it right and guidance is always welcomed! I know I am going to have a bunch of questions and I want to plan it all out first.

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you all and super excited about this forum!

#4,963 ·
Just approach it as you would any other motor. Good quality parts, well planned out ending with a good tune. There is no real guideline to do it - if you're not doing any internal work, start by researching reputable manifolds and go from there.

#4,964 ·
OK where do I start? My question is 5th gen plug location. I did a rebuild on this motor and just cannot find the mate for this plug! First off it's an AT rebuilt h22. Just put the motor in a few days ago and cannot find the mate for this plug. It's located behind the motor under the intake. Near the rear mount. Here's a pic to help. Please help!

Attachments

#4,965 ·
No where. I've never looked up what it is, but the connector is plugged on mine too. It just chills under the intake manifold like that.

#4,968 ·
engine

okay so, names brent, and last week i bought a 97 honda prelude 5 speed...
im confused on engine size and names.. my block say h22a4.. on here people just say h22a.. as far as i know they arent the same engines please correct me if i am wrong.. also can some one explain why they are different if they are.

#4,969 ·
okay so, names brent, and last week i bought a 97 honda prelude 5 speed...
im confused on engine size and names.. my block say h22a4.. on here people just say h22a.. as far as i know they arent the same engines please correct me if i am wrong.. also can some one explain why they are different if they are.
H22a and H22a4 are different engines. The H22a4 is a USDM factory motor where the H22a is an imported motor used in other countries. The H22a has slightly more power, that's a quick rundown.

#4,971 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just bought this. Everything works apart from the cruise control. It's an auto. Can anyone help please. The light comes on and stays on on the dashboard switch but the set switches on the steering wheel don't have any effect.

Here she is. https://flic.kr/p/J72ZFQ https://flic.kr/p/HjNEaU

Shax
Have you followed the vacuum lines and cable to make sure everything at the cruise control unit is hooked up properly?

Could be a faulty unit or bad vacuum line. They are pretty simple with the only other component besides the switches and unit in the bay - being a control box located beneath the dash above the steering column.

#4,974 ·
I am lazy asking instead of searching for this, but i am a Prelude noob and not in the mood for going through 25 pages for what i think is a simple question googling couldnt solve. Onto that, ive read that more than 250 HP will cause problems with the ATTS system on my '01 Prelude SH, but those sources didnt specify whether that was 250 BHP or 250 WHP, which is it? Im assuming WHP, but some clarification from more experienced owners would be nice. Thank you for your time.

#4,975 ·
Everyone says that, but I've never seen any proof. If it starts having issues, you can buy a non-ATTS tranny and a bracket that will allow you to bolt up a halfshaft to the SH engine.

#4,976 ·
Have a 97 base prelude was an automatic car converted to 5 speed I modified the auto Ecu To run the car. I bought a p5m -a02 and had the doctronics immobilizer chip installed but can not get car to start. It cranks just won't start. Not sure if my car being a California car makes a difference Ecu currently in car is a p5m-l52 any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4,977 ·
You need the transponder key and immobilizer module that go to that ECU.

#4,979 ·
There is one way that I know of, but nobody is going to openly discuss how to bypass the immobilizer (for security reasons).

#4,981 ·
I've read about some owners making it somehow work with complete catback systems. But it all depends on the rest of the exhaust in your case. Mock it up and see if you have it already.

#4,986 ·
I've read that a 4th gen may fit with modification. But none that are direct fit that i'm aware of.

I currently have a stock exhaust systems and want to change to one of the aftermarket exhaust. I've looked online for some exhaust sounds that I like. So far the only exhaust systems I like for its look and sound are Vibrant streetpower oval muffler, the Espalier, and the Decat with a Kteller stainless mandrake piping. I am open for any other suggestion brands. Bottom line I'm looking for an exhaust that has a crisp sound, moderately loud, good performace and look, no bubbling sounds or fart can sounds.
Go with a pre made you like, or spend money on a custom one and trial/error your way to a good sounding setup.

New to ludes with solid base here,

Lucked out and found a well maintained 01 canadian sh, no issues or problems at all.
I actually learned to drive stick with it and now im getting around just fine. Keeping the fluids and basic maintenance taken care of. My older brother has a 99 that that hes poured his heart and soul into since i was a kid. I promised to own my own one day, since hes my biggest role model.

Now with all that said, i want to plan each mod and skip trial and error and bad ebay parts and such. Id like to widen my wheel track with wider tires to make them flush with the sides of the car. Can someone reccomend a basic wide track setup for a daily? Im new to this but i know i want a wider stance, so whatever that includes spacers or new studs or other parts. I need help because some say i dont need a camber kit if the offsets a certain measurement and some say i need it no matter what.

Thanks!
I would check out the low offset thread, they will point you in the right direction.

Hi everybody!,
I recently registered on this site after I bought my 5th Gen 2000 base model Prelude. It's going to be my commuter car and my 16 yr old son's first car :).
I'm thankful I found this site cause my son and I found good instructions and was able to replace the slave and master clutch cylinder after I discovered it was leaking. Its a pain in the butt but we got it done :) Lots of good info and how-tos on this site.

I have a laundry list of things to do on this car, and I've already found good how-tos on it. Some of the things I want to do soon:
- Replace o-ring gasket on oil cooler, and maybe replace the oil pressure switch too. I have lots of leak in that area of the engine.
- Replace and clean VTEC solenoid gasket and screen.
- Replace engine mounts
- Clean throttle body
All pretty simple things, mounts being the most difficult. You'll do just fine.

Welcome all!

#4,983 ·
Exhaust systems

I currently have a stock exhaust systems and want to change to one of the aftermarket exhaust. I've looked online for some exhaust sounds that I like. So far the only exhaust systems I like for its look and sound are Vibrant streetpower oval muffler, the Espalier, and the Decat with a Kteller stainless mandrake piping. I am open for any other suggestion brands. Bottom line I'm looking for an exhaust that has a crisp sound, moderately loud, good performace and look, no bubbling sounds or fart can sounds.

#4,984 ·
New to ludes with solid base here,

Lucked out and found a well maintained 01 canadian sh, no issues or problems at all.
I actually learned to drive stick with it and now im getting around just fine. Keeping the fluids and basic maintenance taken care of. My older brother has a 99 that that hes poured his heart and soul into since i was a kid. I promised to own my own one day, since hes my biggest role model.

Now with all that said, i want to plan each mod and skip trial and error and bad ebay parts and such. Id like to widen my wheel track with wider tires to make them flush with the sides of the car. Can someone reccomend a basic wide track setup for a daily? Im new to this but i know i want a wider stance, so whatever that includes spacers or new studs or other parts. I need help because some say i dont need a camber kit if the offsets a certain measurement and some say i need it no matter what.

Thanks!

#4,985 ·
Hi everybody!,
I recently registered on this site after I bought my 5th Gen 2000 base model Prelude. It's going to be my commuter car and my 16 yr old son's first car :).
I'm thankful I found this site cause my son and I found good instructions and was able to replace the slave and master clutch cylinder after I discovered it was leaking. Its a pain in the butt but we got it done :) Lots of good info and how-tos on this site.

I have a laundry list of things to do on this car, and I've already found good how-tos on it. Some of the things I want to do soon:
- Replace o-ring gasket on oil cooler, and maybe replace the oil pressure switch too. I have lots of leak in that area of the engine.
- Replace and clean VTEC solenoid gasket and screen.
- Replace engine mounts
- Clean throttle body

#4,987 ·
Hello, how goes it....
So I bought a 5th gen base model about a couple of weeks ago. The guy told me the bearing was bad on the front driver side. Well, I've changed the whole hub assembly, and I'm still getting that "wub wub wub wub" noise coming from that wheel. Granted, it may be that the bearing wasn't pressed in at a machine shop. I also changed the cv axle on that side. One of my thoughts is that the tire has been worn unevenly. I'm going to change the tire with the one in the back or maybe the other front side to see if the sound comes from a different location. My question is, could it be anything else other than the tires? I just want to be prepared and know how much work I'm going to have to put into it to get the noise to go away. Any suggestion?

#4,988 ·
Swap it with another. The wheel could be bent.