Honda Prelude Forum banner

how long does it take to repair power steering leak?

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  amemoryoncelost 
#1 ·
Subject says it all. I searched, and found out how to do it. I am not very mechanically inclined, so I just want to see how long it takes on average...

#4 ·
Replacing that seal in the P/S pump is easy.

REMEMBER ****P/S pully nut is LEFT HAND THREAD******

The hardest part will be working with the belt adjuster. Undo the cruise control vacuum motor thing (except the cable) and swing it out of the way and let it sit behind the valve cover someplace. This will greatly improve the accesability to the adjuster pully.

#7 ·
paramthegreat said:
ChiroLude,

why do u think that changing your seal on the pump would not have helped and u needed a pump change. i need to fix my leaks so wanted to know.

thanx,
paul
Because that is what my mechanic said. He said the leak was not where that gasket was. I trust him. On my old car he saved me over $800 in potential costs to fix my brakes. I took my car to Just Brakes after my brakes locked up on me and they wanted over $1000 to fix my car. The Master Booster was the big ticket item. Instead of ordering a new Master Booster, he just cleaned and adjusted it. The car had no problems after that. It only ended up costing me around $200 w/$60 to tow the car almost 20 miles.

If he tells me the seal would not have helped and I needed to replace the whole pump, I trust him.

#10 ·
Well, it's always hard the first time...

--J

#12 ·
you payed a mechanic to replace the power steering line? That musta cost an armand leg man that thing runs all the way to the back of the motor....

Yo, if it was me, i woulda just removed the Power steering and not thought twice about it......
If its tough to move the wheel after that then take the money you saved go buy some dumbells...... thats my slogan

#13 ·
Import_Tuna said:
Well, it's always hard the first time...

--J
and takes longer to clean the mess the leak makes.

im still finding spots ive missed here and there when i replaced mine long ago. that fluid gets everywhere.

#14 ·
It smells pretty good too. I hate it.

--J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.