Honda Prelude Forum banner

Tire Size on 17x7 Rims

23K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  lowkeybuilds 
#1 · (Edited)
Im going to buy my first set of rims pretty soon which are going to be MB Weapons (17x7 5-114.3 43)

and im wondering what size tires should i run on a 5th gen. I already have Tein H-Tech on the oem struts. i was reading around some people said 205-40-17 or 215-40-17. Im pretty much looking for the best bang for your buck kind of tires. I live in Texas so snow isnt really an issue for me. Oh and im looking for tires that wont rub at all.

Here is a pictures with my suspension set up and OEM Blades.

See less See more
#2 ·
hey im running on tein stechs too.. and those are some nice rims. I know you rin either in 40 or 45 series, 45s being more thick, but i dunno it its 205 or 215's. Im thinking its 215's cuz youll get more tire on the road thus more grip

#3 ·
Here's the break down on a 17x7
215/40
--low profile look, faster acceleration, quickest steering response, most harsh ride
225/45
--taller look, slower acceleration, slowest steering response, best grip, best ride
215/45
--best all around tire, good look, good fit, good grip, good ride

I've used all three and my person favorite was 215/45R17 because it was a good mix of everything.

#6 ·
Here's the break down on a 17x7
215/40
--low profile look, faster acceleration, quickest steering response, most harsh ride
225/45
--taller look, slower acceleration, slowest steering response, best grip, best ride

215/45
--best all around tire, good look, good fit, good grip, good ride

I've used all three and my person favorite was 215/45R17 because it was a good mix of everything.
That's best ride if aren't lowered past 2.5 inches. i have a horrible ride on my 225/45/17s.

#4 ·
heh jhail what the widest size of tires i can run on my ap1 rim all 4 fronts, thank you

#8 · (Edited)
"That's best ride if aren't lowered past 2.5 inches. i have a horrible ride on my 225/45/17s."
-It's not the tires fault, it's because you're lowered so far your car is sitting on the bump stops. Raise your car about a half an inch and it will ride/handle a lot better.

"hey jhall why is there a taller look on 225's? isnt it supposed to be just wider?"
-The tire size is section width(in mm)/aspect ratio R Rim size. So in simple terms if a tire is 205/50 that means that the height of the sidewall of the tire is 50% of the width. So in this case the height is 102.5 mm tall (205*.5=102.5).

So if you take a 225/45 vs a 215/45 not only is the 225/45 10mm wider but it's also about 4.5mm taller. (225*.45=101.25mm vs 215*.45=96.75mm) This is all talking about sidewall height of course but that's the break down of the size.

"hey jhall what the widest size of tires i can run on my ap1 rim all 4 fronts, thank you"
-If I remember correctly AP1's fronts are 16x6.5 in which case the widest would be 225/50R16. Those are a decent amount taller than stock but I ran my comp tires in that size and they seemed to work pretty well.

#9 · (Edited)
Im leaning more towards Falken ZE-912 205-40-17 any feedback?

I did a photoshop of my own. Of course its going to look bigger than it looks right now since i just photoshoped the mb over my 16" oppose to the 17" im ordering.

#11 ·
Justin's on the money.. 215/45/17..

I rode on 215/40/17's for the longest time. You can definetly feel bumps for since it's a lower profile and there's not as much side wall for it to absorbe the impact. I then switched to 225/45/17's and well I couldn't really tell with the slower acceleration since I was boosted but I wouldn't doubt it one bit. There was more roll in the tire though which I didn't like. Now that could be from tire brand also. Some tires have a stiffer side wall then others.

But yes 215/45/17..

7inch rim- 205/215
7.5inch rim-215/225
8 inch rim-225/235/245

#13 ·
IDK, having to raise the car and put more bumpstop back in to make 225/45/17 work sucked.

How badly it slowed down the car is debatable, I don't really do the serious data acquisition needed to tell. Or at least separate out the two factors which lead to banging off the rev limiter later in a straight away.

My car is pretty slow, whatever acceleration I can get out of it is nice.

#14 ·
IDK, having to raise the car and put more bumpstop back in to make 225/45/17 work sucked.

How badly it slowed down the car is debatable, I don't really do the serious data acquisition needed to tell. Or at least separate out the two factors which lead to banging off the rev limiter later in a straight away.

My car is pretty slow, whatever acceleration I can get out of it is nice.
The truth...

#15 · (Edited)
Well i just figured out that my springs werent S-Tech there are H-Techs. and as for the tires 215-40-17 or 215-45-17. Which one would fit my car perfectly without rubbing?

Tire Brands i was reading alot of good revies about General Altimax HP and Falken ZE-912.

#22 · (Edited)
They are pretty light, lighter or even with the OEM Blades. Im going to drop my car again on my H-Techs that i have laying around within a week or two

The tires im running are Yokohama AVID W4S 215-45-17

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.