Honda Prelude Forum banner

1989 Honda Prelude?

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  88SE Lude 
#1 ·
is a 1989 honda prelude with 174x km's with the timing belt, water pump, battery changed, rust thats not even visible yet worth it for 1900? or is it better to do a trade for a 1999 honda civic sedan (5speed) with 183xx (timing belt and water pump not changed)

#7 ·
A 25 year old car is probably not for you if you aren't willing to get your hands dirty. Part of the pleasure of owning a 3rd gen (for me) is that I really enjoy working on it. It's like therapy for me. Even so, I rarely ever have to do a repair on it. In fact, the last repair I had to do was replace the rear brake calipers 2 years ago. Most of the work I do on my car is maintenance or upgrades. As with any car, proper routine maintenance is the key to helping avoid the need to make repairs later. But, again like any other kind of car, things can and will fail.

The thing you should be looking at is that you have a car that is 10 years newer than the Prelude you are looking at. You compare any two cars that are 10 years apart in age, and the newer one will obviously require less attention than the older one. If you're looking for a car that you won't have to work on, then don't buy any car that's 25 years old.

#13 ·
OK now that all the negatives have been posted, once you drive this car its going to grab you.

Its like no other car you have ever driven under $2000.

Yes the aftermarket is small, but its there.
There may be junkyard visits, but you will learn much about a car and enjoy it while learning.

Drive it first and make up your mind.

#16 ·
Ever hear about the in-car-shower ??
Happened to me yesterday. :laugh:

Use your judgement, we can't tell you which car you should buy by the number of miles on the chassis and whether or not the timing belt has been changed. Do you have pics?

I've never regretted buying a Prelude other than the occasional wish for RWD. What I do regret is buying one with body damage, half-assed repairs by the previous owner, and neglected suspension. Maintenance is so important.

I have had to ride my bike to work a few days due to burst coolant hoses, dead alternator, stuff like that, you just have to know what you're getting into when you buy an older car for a daily driver.

This was Honda's flagship model at the time and it's a very good car in its own unique way.

#15 ·
^ lol you gonna start listing every single detail that COULD go wrong with his car?

the main point is the Prelude has limited resources for Parts. many parts are discontinued from Honda themselves so you have to rely on aftermarket replication and for those only the incredibly necessary to functionality parts are replicated (things for clutch/brakes/suspension/engine... ) NOTHING for the body (inside or out) can be sourced new, a junkyard is your only way and good luck finding a prelude in a junkyard that still has all it's parts lol.

So if you're ready to put some effort into a car then get the prelude cus it's loads of fun to drive.

#17 ·
Buy a 25 year old Honda and then compare it to non-Japanese 25 year old cars ;-)

#19 ·
My 78 Chevy truck is 36 years old. It runs as well as my lude, it'll go just about anywhere I want to go, and I can pull just about anything I want with it. Honda's have a good reputation, but just like any other type of car, if it's maintained well it will last a long time.

#21 ·
so an update on the situation…. i posted this question in my local prelude forum called Toronto Prelude Club (http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/showthread.php?127536-1989-honda-prelude) and one of the members actually went and checked out the car and had this to say about it.

"If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money"

I mentioned this to the seller and he obviously got pissed off about it lol and he said he would safety the car for me before doing the trade. should i just stay away… does safety look at those things even?

#22 ·
Hey... I drove to Seattle at Christmas time and got 31.5 on winter tires... averaging 70-75 MPH.

24-26 is in town. :p

#23 ·
so an update on the situation…. i posted this question in my local prelude forum called Toronto Prelude Club (http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...-honda-prelude) and one of the members actually went and checked out the car and had this to say about it.

"If you are looking for a daily driver I would stay away. Most suspension bushing will need to be replaced. The rear swaybar links are broken. The exhaust manifold gaskets will need to be replaced as they are leaking. It needs a valve lash adjustment. Overall the car is in okay shape but it does need work. One thing it has going for it is mint interior. If you are looking for something to build over a period of time this is the car for you as it can be very nice with time and money"

I mentioned this to the seller and he obviously got pissed off about it lol and he said he would safety the car for me before doing the trade. should i just stay away… does safety look at those things even?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.