Honda Prelude Forum banner

Power window mod. -Wiring info

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  LudaPower 
#1 ·
Hey what's up. I just got a 91 si, with manual windows and wanted to convert to power ASAP. I tried doing a search and there was nothing that contained actual wiring information. Well I went out and bought the switches, window regulators/motors, and wiring (cut). I just wanted to get as much info about this as possible. I mainly need the function for the colored wires.>>

For the Passenger side, there are three wires: Blue solid, blue w/yellow stripe, and blue with black stripe.

The driver's has 5: White w/ yellow stripe, black, and then the same 3 other wires as the passenger's :Blue solid, blue w/yellow stripe, and blue with black stripe.

I didn't get any relays, and I just wanted to wire them to a fuse or something. How would I go about doing this? I was also pondering on where I would put the switches. The switch assembly (on the door panel w/the a/c vent)is different than the manual. Please reply with any info regarding installation of Power windows.
Thanks,
James
www.geocities.com/hondamatik/91

#3 ·
Cool...I emailed B20luda. He didn't remember the wiring info though. He's gonna get back to me on Sunday about it though.

Today I noticed that the 3 wires from the passenger side are exactly like 3 of the driver's side wires. I'm thinking that these 3 wires connect with the driver's side, which contains the power wires. The other 2 wires on the driver's side are 1black and 1white. >>>

Black-Ground
White-ignition

Does this sound right? Please let me know what you all think.

#5 ·
The extra 2 wires on the drivers side have to do with the AUTO-DOWN feature of the drivers window. That switch has to receive a pulse from the motor when it gets to the bottom. I wanted to mod the passenger window to do that too. Not sure if the motors are the same. Maybe you can help ME. Are the motors identical or mirror images of eachother? I mean would a drivers motor replace a passengers side motor to accomplish the AUTO-DOWN on that side? I've already picked up a switch assembly. I would just need to make the fatter switch fit the smaller opening & run 2 wires to the passenger door.

#7 ·
I'm going to throw out some thoughts - so take these with a grain of salt.

So what we are assuming is that the motor itself is what contains the Pulser circuit, yeah?
It looks like the wiring, however, enters into the gear box itself - one having the 4 wires the other 2. So I'm guessing that you'd have to rewire or swap out wiring from a driver side to modify the pass side.

The drivers side wiring (at the dual switch) shows up as :
1= BLK ground
2WHT/YEL and BLU/BLK Ignition ON
3= RED/BLU and RED/YEL Driver side motor
4= BLU/YELO and BLU/GRN Pass side motor
5= BLU and BLK for the Pulser (AUTO) circuit

At the motor on the Driver side they show the plug pins as:

(Looking at plug and key on top - top is pin 1-2 bottom 3-4)

Motor Pins 1-2
pulser circuit pins 3-4 (4 being same as ground or to ground)

But they don't show color in the Helms - should I look in the Honda Wiring Book? (yeah I was stupid enough to buy the complete set)

-Jump

Edit: If we get this figured out - could we get a write up centered from everyone to place on the How-To and Mod site we are planning?

#9 ·
Yeah, but even with that info, I don't see how you can run the driver side motor on over on the pass side - perhaps I'm just not putting out the effort - would be pretty trick to have that option on the pass side - my daughter is always going "that's dumb that they don't do that over here on My side." LOL

I'll check the Honda wiring to see what the colors and stuff are for the pass side - hell, if I can get my wife to scan the page and post it, that'd be even better.

#11 ·
That's straight out of the Helms - must be a different manual than the 91 because of the page numbers being different but yeah? But they don't (Helms) give additional wire color for the pass like the actual Electrical Troubleshooting Manual - hell the manual for the 91 alone is about an inch thick!
Good find though - glad someone (eagle-eyed) found that location - I think NTPOG has quite a few scans of the Helms also - I'll ask Todd for the URL's..........

#14 ·
Ok, well still haven't finished the power window mod. I've been asking everyone out there, and no one can remember the wiring info.

Well I found a page in some shop manual, that breaks it down for the 91 lude.

(driver's side wiring)
1.Black: Ground
2.Wht/yel stripe: Driver's window fuse (20a)
3.Blu/blk stripe: Passenger's window fuse (20a) (splice the matching Passenger wire with the driver's)

The power window control unit is built into the driver's switch(not a separate unit, like the 88-89 has). The three wires from the passenger side (blu/blk, blu/yel/ blu/grn) connect straight to the driver's switch.

That sums it all up.

My interior fuse box has fuses for the driver+passenger power windows. (I think #'s 5+6) I'm trying to figure what color wires in the fuse box are for these fuses, so I can splice the right wires to this. -can anyone check this???

And my last step is looking for the best spot to put the actual switches in. I'll keep you all updated, as things happen...

#15 ·
I thought I had responded to this - but first off, what do you mean the pulser is in the Driver side switch? Where did you find that out.
I have the Honda Troubleshooting Wiring Manual for the 1991, should I bother looking up all the wiring details - the Honda Manual (which we all call the Helms - but in reproduction only) only shows a little info which I already posted somewhere.

want to PM or something so we can get this thing nailed and written up? Also, what do you mean by mounting the switches somewhere - what's wrong with where they are now?

#16 ·
Jump said:
I thought I had responded to this - but first off, what do you mean the pulser is in the Driver side switch? Where did you find that out.
I have the Honda Troubleshooting Wiring Manual for the 1991, should I bother looking up all the wiring details - the Honda Manual (which we all call the Helms - but in reproduction only) only shows a little info which I already posted somewhere.

want to PM or something so we can get this thing nailed and written up? Also, what do you mean by mounting the switches somewhere - what's wrong with where they are now?
I said>>>"The power window control unit is built into the driver's switch"<<< -and I didn't write anything about the pulser anywhere. This page: http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/PreludeManual/62sf100/16-183.pdf shows that the 88 had a separate control unit.

About the switches... the interior door panels w/manual windows are different from the panels w/power. -The switches/air vents are a different shape. I am looking to put them in the same spot, it is just going to need some cutting/sanding/glueing.

Let me know if there is anything else you need me to clear up.

#17 ·
Sorry, didn't realize you had manuals on the door - I've been looking at changing over the pass side to auto down on my 91 so it's still in line with what you are doing.

By the way - I see that the 88-89 had the separate power control unit on that page - the manual I have for the 91 doesn't show it as a separate unit so I assumed you were goig for hte setup for the 91. And yeah, besides the pulser being in the drivers motor - there is a control unit at the switch wwhich I assume must be wired into the pass circuit or taken off another lude or something.

I wasn't trying to be hostile on my thread input if it came acroos that way - I'm sorry

#18 ·
-It's all good man....I just want to get this thing done. If I finally get all the wiring and ish finished, I'll probably do the pass. auto down as well. And I will definitely do a write up on all of this.

Is there anyone willing to take their interior fuse box apart(or one from a junk yard), and find which wires go to fuses 5 + 6(20a power windows)???

Paul...is there anything in your manual about these fuses+wiring?

#20 ·
Yah....jump, that sounds right. If you could scan that diagram for me that would be cool of you. I didn't get the stock wiring harness w/power features. I just need to know which wires are for the 5+6 fuses so I can splice into them.

My manual shows 20a fuses which I thought were kinda high. I think it's listed as 10a in my fuse box.

So yah, if you could scan that page for me, you'd be a cool guy.

thanks

#22 ·
Ok, well some good news. -My car now has power windows. I did all of the installs+wiring today. I put the switches in the same spot, just had to cut a few things. I'm happy that everything worked out perfectly. -Except for one thing, the passenger side window rolls (up+down) slow as hell!!!! It did look a bit gunky, but I cleaned it as much as possible before putting it on. What else can I do? -maybe the motor's going bad? Any tips would be helpful. -I'll post pics of the install soon. Laters. :arrow:

#23 ·
yea man my pass. side window is pretty slow too, i hadn't used it for a long time but it was nice out this weekend so i used it and it took like 15 seconds to go all the way down.. most likely it's just the motor being so old. also, were you able to use the auto-down feature on the pass. side window? i read the above posts a long time ago and don't remember all the details, but it seems to me that all you would need is another switch from the driver side that has the auto-down click feature to it, and a driver side motor (pass. side motor doesn't have the pulser that makes the auto-down feature).. does anyone know if the driver side motor is interchangeable with the pass side? i'd re-read the posts again but i have to run to class!

#24 ·
I need some quick info. Being I have manual windows.. does the Power window Motor just swap in? I mean.. do I use the same saw like looking things that forces the window up n down on my manual crank windows.. onto the motors? Online manual doesn't talk about that part.
Or do I need the whole shiskabob like in this picture

Hope junkyard doesn't charge too much for it.

#26 ·
My interior fuse box has fuses for the driver+passenger power windows. (I think #'s 5+6) I'm trying to figure what color wires in the fuse box are for these fuses, so I can splice the right wires to this. -can anyone check this???
Under my dash is torn apart right now and my fuse box is just "hanging" by the wires, i could look to see the colors of #5 and #6 fuses, although mine is an '89.

i believe the wire colors are the same, at least the power window wire colors quoted earlier in this post matched mine, although my drivers door is from a diff year prelude... Ill look in the morning before work if it would help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.