Honda Prelude Forum banner

5th Gen Prelude Oil Change

12K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  SH^ftw^01 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I have a question about changing the oil on a 5th gen prelude.

This is my first time in attempting to change the oil so I need some instructions and clarification on the steps I should take.

Is the drain bolt the big bolt in the lower right corner of the picture?

and should I be able to see the oil filter when Im under the car unscrewing the drain bolt?

Do I need some sort of bucket to catch oil that drips out of the drain bolt?

Thanks for the Help!

See less See more
#2 ·
You do need something to catch the oil from the drainbolt as well as from the filter. You dont NEED to see the filter, you just need to get your hand under there and unscrew it.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes that is the drain bolt.. If you look straight up from the drain bolt you can see the oil filter. you do need a drain pan to catch the old oil. I recommend something to cover the flex pipe when you remove the oil filter so that the excess oil does not get on the flex pipe and straight down on the drain pan..

Is it me.. It looks like your oil pan has a leak..

#6 ·
Is it me.. It looks like your oil pan has a leak..
I agree A in red is where you can see leaking oil B in green is what I would say is the most probable cause for that leak, It might be the lower timing belt cover seal hard to tell from that angle. If it is you can replace it when you do your timing belt and water pump. C in blue might want check that area too just in case it's the cause of the leak.

#5 ·
The filter's not to hard to pull out, but if you have trouble one of the things I've always done is poke a screwdriver into then use that to get the necessary leverage to screw it out. It sounds getto but it works better than the tool you get at the dealership. Just be aware that even after you drain the oil the filter is still going to leak some oil out, so poke it and let it drain.

#21 ·
That is a Fram. K&N are white with a hex thing on the end to easily remove it.

Yeah, from the top is usually the easiest, although i hate the location of the thing..

#12 ·
I have a SH and when I do the filter I just slow unscrew the filter and let the oil slowly drip into the drain bucket so it won't spill everywhere. Yeah it true about when you take the drain bolt it will shoot out like crazy, just take your time unscrewing it and have something under the bucket to soak the oil, like some newspapers...that is what I use

#18 · (Edited)
You have a split CV boot. Take it to get repaired immediately and they might be able to just change the boot if the joint hasn't yet been destroyed.

When you remove the drain bolt if you don't have a drain pan around just catch the oil with your face, that usually works.*

*not an actual fact

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.