Honda Prelude Forum banner

adding cold oil to hot engine

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BlkLUDE5G 
#1 ·
I was wondering if it's possible to damage the engine by adding cold oil to hot engine? You know, like your not supposed to put hot water on a cold windshield cause it can crack from expanding/contracting. I've been having to add a little oil every time I drive it hard and I keep my oil (Mobil 1) in the trunk and it's been really cold around here recently. I thought i heard a noise from the engine when I added some (1/8th qt) but it was probably the exhaust manifold.

#4 ·
I was thinking about the cold oil hitting the hot metal engine parts and causing them to expand/contract (whichever it would be). The exhaust manifold usually makes a 'tinging' sound as it's cooling off from the metal expand/contracting. When I added the oil it sounded like I heard that same sound coming from the oil filler cap area but I was prolly mistaken.

#5 ·
where as from a scientific standpoint you are correct - the rate of the change is by far no where near any damaging effects - it would be much different (in an extreme example) if you had an overheated motor that just turned off and you accidentally dropped a chunk of dry ice down the oil cap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.