Honda Prelude Forum banner

How to: Replace Oil Cooler O-Ring

184K views 202 replies 97 participants last post by  twinsmilies 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright here's the deal. I know that myself and a few others are having some oil leak issues. For myself, it is the oil cooler O-ring. To determine whether or not this may be your problem, jack up your car, start it up and get underneath. Use a flashlight to look up at the oil filter, and the oil cooler (the part which the oil filter screws on to). For me, there is a constant drip coming from between the block and the oil cooler, so it was pretty easy to determine the cause of my problem.

-A quick note before we begin. Using the right tool for the job should be paramount. I can't tell you how many times I've come across friends who have used the wrong tool for the job, and got themselves into deeper shit than they started in. Common mistakes are wrong sized screw drivers, which often lead to stripped screws, or wrong sized sockets, which lead to stripped bolts. Always do yourself a favor and make sure you USE THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB

(image originally linked by THEJGB3)

In the picture, the oil cooler is part #16(base model) #17(type SH). The oil cooler O-ring itself is part #32.

The listed part number @ LINK is 91316-PT6-003

I purchased mine from Herb Chambers Honda in Seekonk MA. The Honda part number is 91316-PE7-730

Here's how I'm doing it. First and foremost, drain the oil. Your car could use an oil change anyway. Don't argue with me, just drain it. After the flow of oil has stopped, remove the oil filter. This exposes the bolt which you need to remove.

^Oil Filter (keep in mind gentlemen this is not a BRAND DEBATE, just keep making remarks about my having to stop halfway through this write-up and leave the brands out of it! :D ) You can see the little drip of oil there on the oil cooler itself.

The bolt is a 30mm, and you'll do better with a deep socket. Please, please, please, save yourself the trouble. DO NOT USE ADJUSTABLE WRENCHES ON THIS. It will only strip this bolt and make you cry a little on the inside. Removing the bolt is pretty straightforward, so do it. Lefty loosey righty tighty.

^Bolt removed

At this point the oil cooler is free, and you can swivel it around a bit.

^There you can see how much you can move the oil cooler, and where the old O-ring sits.

To remove the old O-Ring, I ended up using a razor, stuck it into the side of the O-ring, and used leverage to pry it out.

^My old O-ring was very brittle, it snapped coming out

Putting the new O-Ring on: Just like the oil filter O-ring, stick your finger in some oil and lube this baby up. The oil on the O-ring will help it stay in place while you're fiddling around lining up the bolt.

^New O-ring in and sitting pretty.

At this point, you've got the new O-ring on, and are ready to tighten down the 30mm bolt. If you've got a torque wrench handy, torque the sucker down to 54 lbs-ft. If not, keep in mind you can damage components by over-tightening.

Now that I've finished, tiny bits of rep are appreciated. Take your cheap shots in the rep too, as well as the thread ;)

-=PHOTOS=-

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
You will need a 30MM (1/2" drive) socket. I bought mine at Sears (Craftsman FTW).gl

91316-PT6-003 O-RING (62.4X3.1) this WAS the part# before it was 'superceded' to
Replaced by: 91316-PE7-730

91316-PE7-730 O-RING (62.4X3.1)
list is $2.52

Vehicle Applications:
ACCORD 2D '08-'09
ACCORD 2D 90-93
ACCORD 4D '08-'09
ACCORD 4D 90-93
ACCORD WAGON 91-93
CIVIC 2D '06-'09
CIVIC 3D 92-95
CIVIC 3D/4D 84-87
CIVIC 4D '06-'08
CIVIC 4D '09
CIVIC 4D 88-91
CIVIC WAGON 88-91
CRX 84-87
CRX 88-91
INSIGHT 00-03
INSIGHT '04-'06
ODYSSEY 95-98
PRELUDE 88-91
PRELUDE 92-96
PRELUDE 97-01
S2000 '00-'07
S2000 '08-'09

#61 · (Edited)
You will need a 30MM (1/2" drive) socket. I bought mine at Sears (Craftsman FTW).gl

91316-PT6-003 O-RING (62.4X3.1) this WAS the part# before it was 'superceded' to
Replaced by: 91316-PE7-730

91316-PE7-730 O-RING (62.4X3.1)
list is $2.52
How the fuck did your O-RING is so cheap????

Bought Mine today at Ken Vance Honda Here in EC, Wisconsin for $6.37

I think that is a rip off for a stupid rubber O-RING. I Don't know if price is a factor where you live but that is the price i pay for.

#12 ·
GL getting the ORING to stick in the groove the 1st time. Took me 3 tries :).....and I have an SH. So yea this is where owning an SH makes you say FML. PPl say using certain grease or lubricants can help it stay in place while you place the cooler back, but i just used my fingers and put equal pressure on all sides of the ring to make jam in there. Torque specs if i remember correctly was 54lbs on the cooler bolt, but double check bc i did this in March. GL!!!!! for those with an SH, PO has a write up with pics.

#13 ·
I think I may start an engine swap thread now......and hopefully I can finish it up in a few years from now if I'm as talented as Fal.

That thread will be AWESOME.

Wednesday--"removed my battery today folks"

Two weeks later--"....and now it's back in. Forgot I had to go grocery shoppin'. Tune in next month, I'll be removing my oil cap."

:laugh:

#18 ·
Looking forward to reading! Maybe you could take it one step further and just make a blank post, and leave us wondering! :D

FYI you don't need to drain the oil. The sump is lower than the cooler, oil won't flow up, you'll leak out the same amount with the pan empty or full.
2 birds, one stone. You're under there, it won't hurt anything lol

#15 · (Edited)
Here's how I'm doing it. First and foremost, drain the oil. Your car could use an oil change anyway. Don't argue with me, just drain it. ...
who do i listen to? :( to the helm's mobile, robin! ( http://msaf.net/main/?p=211 )

I think I may start an engine swap thread now......and hopefully I can finish it up in a few years from now if I'm as talented as Fal.

That thread will be AWESOME.

Wednesday--"removed my battery today folks"

Two weeks later--"....and now it's back in. Forgot I had to go grocery shoppin'. Tune in next month, I'll be removing my oil cap."

:laugh:

and a standing ovation for you, my friend. well done!

#30 ·
Lol i made a write up for the same thing too a while back. Doing this on an sh is a biiiiiiii__:(.

#35 ·
mhm. Only difference I can think of is simply the location of the oil cooler and oil filter, which is only different if the block has ATTS. Wherever the oil filter is though is where the oil cooler is located, and thusly the oil cooler o-ring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.