Need 22mm wrench
Heat gun or blowtorch or driving for 15min
Gloves ( most needed )
2 lift ( better safe than sorry )
1hours of your time or less

Need those 2 babies ordered from sparkplugs.com for 100$ with shipping

First i went for a drive for 15min
Then lift the front right side of your car
Remove the front wheel ( not needed but better access )

Here are the 2 Oxygen ( O2 ) sensor next to your cat ( red square )
The one the right is Bank 1 sensor 1 and the one on the left is Bank 1 sensor 2.

Unplug the pin, near to your Oil Filter

Use the 22mm wrench to remove the first one closet to your motor ( counter-clockwise )

Unplug the pin for the second o2 ( close to the front right wheel )

For the second one. You'll need to remove the heat shield. Thats why you need the 10mm socket
Personally i only removed the 2 bolts in red square to get access to the O2

here they are the old ones

Make sure there is some anti-seize on the new ones( was already there )
Then install the new ones in. Make sure to tight them correctly before plug-in the pin. Because your wires will get twisted so if they aren't plugged in yet it will be easier to untwist them !!!

There is a specific amount of torque you have to apply 33ft lbs torque. But pretty much its was saying to tight them like a spark plug.
Finally unplug the Radio Fuse or unplug your battery for 30sec and start your engine.

Is just did 70km ( 43 miles ).
its smoother than it was
Better acceleration
Less black smoke when hitting vtec
Fuel saving i don't know yet

if there any details missing please let me know

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for the info. I really don't see why would we need a special wrench to do that. Specially the NGK were exactly the same as the ones i had. Maybe for older version i don't know.

#6 ·
As you go from the motor down your exhaust pipe on a 4 cyl the first O2 you come to is sensor 1 bank 1 the next one after the cat is bank 1 sensor 2
If you had a v type motor (6cyl or 8 cyl) the bank with cyl 1 in it is bank 1 and the other is bank 2 and then you would get bank 1 sensor 1 bank 2 sensor 2 before the cat
The sensor 1 is used to monitor your mixture for the ecu sensor 2 is only used to make sure the cat is doing its job.
Now as for tools you can use the wrenches or the o2 sensor socket if you get the right o2 socket ( there are several) you wouldnt have to remove the heat shield.
a 7/8 wrench also works

#9 ·
Yes, the torch would be to help crack the sensor loose. Yea a regular wrench works sometimes. There are special O2 sensor sockets that are nice, they basically just give you more contact surface on the sensor to turn it and you can put more muscle into it. But if you just basically can't budge it with the regular wrench as your problem then getting it hot will help.

#12 ·
I am anticipating having to replace my upstream O2 sensor. Though I am going to hook up my meter and force it rich and lean, check the crosscounts. Even though the car has over 100,000 miles on it, I could just replace them both and consider it maintanence

#14 ·
Good writeup!

But I must shun you for using Fram bottom line oil filters. Use Walmart's Super Tech 2000 filters...they are cheaper but MUCH better than Fram. They actually tested them to be on par with some of the high end filters like Wix, Pure-One and Mobil 1 !

#26 ·
But I must shun you for using Fram bottom line oil filters.
I'm surprised it took until the 14th post for somebody to rip on FRAM ;) I was reading the guide, and as soon as I saw your pic with that orange sticking out, I thought "oh, this'll be ugly..."

Nice guide though. Love the detail and pictures. I'm running rich, and need to replace mine. I just ordered them today.

#15 ·
yeah i was on a rush to change my oil filter thats why i used FRAM.

#19 ·
Here is a pic of an O2 sensor 22MM socket

available at Advance Auto, O'reilley's, Checker, etc.

#23 ·
great right up! i think i need to do this, my check engine light is on and autozone pulled the codes and said it was my o2 sensors. my spedometor is not working and my v-tech is not kicking in, my gas milage is low and it is idleing at about 400 (300) when a/c is on. im really worried and need to fix this fast. would love to do it myself and learn about more than i already know... please message me if u have some tips or pointers for me. thanks luders!!!!

#24 ·
It's pretty straight forward. Look at the pretty pictures above for reference if you can't figure it out without them. Just jack up the car, remove old sensor, put in new sensor, lower the car back down, reset the ECU, and be on your way. Took me less than 10 minutes to change mine in 20 degree weather last winter.

#27 ·
anyone's car throw a CEL for the primary 02 sensor (i think P0133) and have the CEL go away by itself? i was throwing that CEL for a while and actually bought a new 02 sensor, but was too lazy to put it on. over the span of driving the car for months with the CEL, it just went away. still a little worried about it and thinking i should still put it on..any thoughts?

#28 ·
Won't hurt specially if its the original ones installed on your car!!!

#30 ·
NTK is the OEM for Honda's O2 sensors, so they are the best you can get.

#32 ·
So I replaced both O2 sensors recently and am having an issue. The sensor closest to the CAT had it's plug melted and wasn't plugged into anything. There's only one plug I can find nearthe oil filter and it's nothing like the plug for the other sensor further down the exhaust pipe. Are the plugs for the upstream and downstream different? I can't seem to get the one by the oil filter plugged in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.