Honda Prelude Forum banner

Can i use 10 amp fuse for 15 amp application?NEED FST RSPNSE

37K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  LudaPower 
#1 ·
Electric mirrors normally use the 15 amp fuse.. i got it hoooked up on the 10amp fuse right now. Is that still ok or do i absolutely need to use the 15 amp fuse? Please respond quickly.

#3 ·
Im talking about permanent.. i cant find the wire that uses the 15amp fuse n yesterday thought i had the right one.. but honda was too stupid to use different coloured wires so its impossible to tell which ones which n right now im stuck with 10 amp. Why would it be worse for long run anyways?

#4 ·
when swapping out fuses and breakers, using a more restrictive fuse/breaker will nto hurt your system, as it is actually MORE restrictive. Keep in mind this fuse will be more likely to blow because of its lower amperage tolerance.

using ones rated for MORE amperage than what is called for is harmful however..

#10 ·
http://www.preludepower.com/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=323
I was trying to find the power mirror black yellow wire.. (i was using the power mirror wiring diagram). I saw a black yellow wire so i tested it to the fuse n it showed up (this was actually the fuel pump alternator fuse wire). I want to find the right wire but cant seem to figure out how with all the mess thats under there.

#13 ·
LudaPower said:
Im talking about permanent.. i cant find the wire that uses the 15amp fuse n yesterday thought i had the right one.. but honda was too stupid to use different coloured wires so its impossible to tell which ones which n right now im stuck with 10 amp. Why would it be worse for long run anyways?
right here it sounded like you had some reason for not putting the 15A fuse in

other than you couldnt find one...

now that that's cleared up...can you explain why you need that wire to the mirrors? Im really confused on that still
:?

#14 ·
i didnt click on that link, but is it that you dont have a holder for the 15 amp fuse. if not, go to autozone and buy one. you can splice it into your wiring.

#16 ·
LudaPower said:
i dont have autozone here.. im going out right now anyways so ill prob buy one.. much easier than finding those damn wiries under there. Tsiah u have some troubles there :lol:
are these the factory power mirrors? if so, you shouldn't have to put in any fuse holders. It's fused at the block and rated at 15A for a reason. If you're away from home, and all the stores are closed, you can use a 10A fuse for the time being.

There is absolutely no reason you can't use the right fuse though. You can buy a box of fuses at any grocery store for less than 2 dollars. If you have to splice in some kind of fuse holder into a factory system, something is wrong and you need to fix the problem -- not the symptom.

I don't think anything pisses me off more than ghetto rigging.

#18 ·
mouchyn said:
LudaPower said:
i dont have autozone here.. im going out right now anyways so ill prob buy one.. much easier than finding those damn wiries under there. Tsiah u have some troubles there :lol:
are these the factory power mirrors? if so, you shouldn't have to put in any fuse holders. It's fused at the block and rated at 15A for a reason. If you're away from home, and all the stores are closed, you can use a 10A fuse for the time being.

There is absolutely no reason you can't use the right fuse though. You can buy a box of fuses at any grocery store for less than 2 dollars. If you have to splice in some kind of fuse holder into a factory system, something is wrong and you need to fix the problem -- not the symptom.

I don't think anything pisses me off more than ghetto rigging.
Nothing pisses me off more than someone that doesnt know what im talking about. Ur making no sense. Where the hell did i say i didnt have a 15amp fuse? Maybe if you read wtf i wrote youd understand.. no offense but i dont feel like reposting the same exact thing. HOW EXACTLY.. please tell me this.. is it ghetto rigged? It wasnt there in the first place.. its not like itll magically fuckin appear.

#19 ·
ok luda...easy :p

chris, we are both mistaken on what he is trying to do
he didnt have power mirrors before
he is installing them now

you are probably find on just the 10a fuse...if it blows, put in the 15a and call it a day :p

#20 ·
haha, if I'm not mistaken too, he's got it hooked up to a connection that uses a 10 amp fuse... so if it blows his best bet is to replace it with another 10 amp, not 15 amp, because it could hurt whatever else is on that same connection... am I right?

It's supposed to be hooked up to the cooling fan relay, not the speed sensor/fuel pump/etc. wire, but he can't tell which is which because they're all the same color.

There may not be any problems, as long as 10 amp fuse doesn't keep blowing you're good to go.

#21 ·
Tecknixia said:
haha, if I'm not mistaken too, he's got it hooked up to a connection that uses a 10 amp fuse... so if it blows his best bet is to replace it with another 10 amp, not 15 amp, because it could hurt whatever else is on that same connection... am I right?

It's supposed to be hooked up to the cooling fan relay, not the speed sensor/fuel pump/etc. wire, but he can't tell which is which because they're all the same color.

There may not be any problems, as long as 10 amp fuse doesn't keep blowing you're good to go.
no, you are not right...if the 10a fuse blows, then he should go to the 15a because thats the stock amperage fuse :stupid:

[ Added: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:40 am ]
question for you luda
if you look at the back of the box, cant you tell which wires are coming from where? I cant remember...havent looked at it for so long
if you cant tell which wire is coming from where...probe a wire with a test light and pull those 3 fuses out til you lose power...then mark it with tape, turn the car off and put the fuse back

you have cooling fan relays...they are on the same circuit and its the only circuit that has a 15a fuse
the ign is not fused
the daytime running lights are 7.5A
the stuff thats on the other fuse is 10A

#22 ·
Tecknixia is right.. srry mouchyn i was in a bad mood last night. I didnt like the fact of calling my work ghetto. Tsiah I cant look at the back of the fuse box cuz theres so many wires holding it on and i dont wanna take them all apart. I feeled the back and there doesnt seem to be any wire coming out from it. They seem to be going directly to a some plugs connected to the box. I'm gonna try lookin for all 4 black yellow wires and testing each one.. now that i know which connection on the fuse is the right one. I dont have a test light though.. Would it work jus the same if i attached a light to a battery with some probes at the end?

#23 ·
The black/yellow wire is honda's way of saying this is a fused 12volt wire thats on when the ingition is on. You could pull the fues you want then test all of 4 black/yellow wires. Once you think you've found the right one put the fuse back in. The test light will light up if its the right one. Or you could be a lazy hack and put power wire in the fuse slot then put the fuse back in on top of it. Thats only if your a lazy half ass hack who's even to lazy to buy a fuse jumper.

#26 ·
oh yea i bought one of those yesterday.. its nicer than those ones though.

[ Added: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:11 pm ]
Anyways i ended up finding the RIGHT wire with a homemade wire tester with light. It was hidden in the back. a lot easier with the tester hehe. My mirrors work great now which is cool.. finally got power something else other than sunroof :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.