Honda Prelude Forum banner

91 Prelude 5th gear change

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cudaboy 
#1 ·
I have a low mileage 91 SI. I love it, but!! the fifth gear is like a close ratio in a race car when I would much prefer a true "Overdrive" to use as a cruising gear when traveling from Portland Oregon to Reno, Nevada. The stock fifth gear will easily pull from 35mph but is revving around 3500+ RPM at cruising speed. I am sure that it would get much better mileage and be much more pleasant to drive on the open road if it had a much taller fifth gear.

I could use a taller final drive, but really don't need a taller first gear. This engine has a ton of torque for it's size and around town, first, second and fifth are about all I need.

The only post I have been able to find was someone who had a dirt tracker who wanted lower (higher numerical) second and third gears).

I have been a shade tree mechanic and "hot rodder" long before most on this forum were born. (I held the track record for N stock at San Fernando drag strip in 1958 with my 52 Hudson Hornet before i left for the US Navy.

Cheers,

Arnolt57

See less See more
#2 ·
At least one person has swapped the 5th gear from an Accord. I'll try to find the thread for you... it was a couple years ago.

#3 ·
#4 ·
91 Prelude fifth gear swap

Many thanks, Andrew for the link. It has a ton of information. I typed a longer response, but the forum kicked me out to re-register. I am not a computer wiz and it seems like every time I try to do something on this forum it makes me re sign on.:(

Jim.

#5 ·
Wrong section. This is for tutorial write ups where people explain how to do something they have done. Not for questions. The true 3rd gen section is what you want. Make sure to check out the red F.A.Q. sticky it has a ton of info plus tells you how to do advanced searches. It also has another F.A.Q. called 1funryd's performance list. I would also recommend checking out my oddball and large tool thread in the F.A.Q. For constantly having to sign in switch your sign in to stay signed in when you sign in. Welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.