Honda Prelude Forum banner

ABS (and BRAKE) light issues...

11K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  PreClude 
#1 ·
Recently I changed out my front rotors and pads. I was going to attempt to install new wheel studs on the driver's side because one is stripped out. Once I realized how involved it was going to be, I was already halfway through taking apart the hub assembly, etc. So I put everything back together and said f* it for now. Afterwards, my ABS light came on. Then it would go on and off occasionally. Now it's on 100% of the time.

I'm sure I messed something up when reinstalling everything... or maybe the ABS module is bad. I don't know. I haven't really tried to see if my ABS actually works.... but I know the light is always blaring me in the face lol. I did bleed the brake fluid system properly and I am not low on fluid..

And then now, it's strange, but my regular BRAKE light stays on sometimes. Usually when cold in the morning... but sometimes not. When I disengage the parking brake, the light stays on. It will go off, but sometimes come back intermittently. Then it will stay off for the most part. The whole thing is just strange to me because I've never had a car do this before.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
Recently I changed out my front rotors and pads. I was going to attempt to install new wheel studs on the driver's side because one is stripped out. Once I realized how involved it was going to be, I was already halfway through taking apart the hub assembly, etc. So I put everything back together and said f* it for now. Afterwards, my ABS light came on. Then it would go on and off occasionally. Now it's on 100% of the time.

I'm sure I messed something up when reinstalling everything... or maybe the ABS module is bad. I don't know. I haven't really tried to see if my ABS actually works.... but I know the light is always blaring me in the face lol. I did bleed the brake fluid system properly and I am not low on fluid..

And then now, it's strange, but my regular BRAKE light stays on sometimes. Usually when cold in the morning... but sometimes not. When I disengage the parking brake, the light stays on. It will go off, but sometimes come back intermittently. Then it will stay off for the most part. The whole thing is just strange to me because I've never had a car do this before.

Suggestions?
could have damaged the sensor

#6 ·
Alright, I'll check the fluid again. I just checked it today and it was good. I will see about the floater thingy sticking maybe. That would cause the parking brake light to go on and off or stay on even when the brake is disengaged?

I could have sworn I tried to pull codes with the jumper pin for the ABS. The light just stayed solid. But I will try again.

Mommys - you're saying the wheel speed sensor, separate from the ABS sensor (?), could be throwing the ABS light on? And what do you mean you did "three wheel speed sensor"?

#10 ·
#12 ·
In order to follow the Helm trouble shooting process you need a multi tester. If the process makes no sense to you you should probably take it to a shop, unless you spot something obvious with your visual.

You'll also need to check the helm in order to reset the ABS light as just disconnecting the battery won't do it.

#14 ·
You'll also need to check the helm in order to reset the ABS light as just disconnecting the battery won't do it.
Nope, he just needs to read the thread that was already linked.

#17 ·
Thanks, it's OK.

I pulled the wheel off to take a look. Yea, there WAS no wheel speed/ABS sensor there at all. Looked like it got cut or ripped off actually. It was a clean cut on the wiring, but the sensor part of it wasn't even there bolted down or anything.

Looks like I'll be needing that $100 part soon lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.